Verbatim 500 GB,External,5400 RPM (96777) Hard Drive Reviews

Verbatim 500 GB,External,5400 RPM (96777) Hard Drive

This Portable Hard Drive Backup Unit is Superb!

May 25, 2009 (Updated May 25, 2009)

Pros:Easy to use, great backup tool, 500 gb storage space.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line:

I highly recommend this very basic, but effective  backup tool to protect your files. For most of us, this is all you need.

I found my Verbatim portable Hard Drive on ebay. I’m very pleased with this product. It’s exactly what I needed.  I’m a big believer in backing up your data. When I was a novice, I lost some data important to me, and that cured me really fast. I have backed up every since.

I have used just about every type of backup software and hardware that has come down the pike, and this is by far one of the best! I use it for backing up documents, videos, music, pictures, software and most of my computer hard drive.

The hard drive space is 465 gb (the other space is used by the software that generates the backups). Even though I have most of my hard drive backed up, I still have 383 gb of free space. I find this amazing because I am a data hog, and have over 2,500 pictures and over 70gb of videos, not to count the other documents and data I backup on this unit.

The Verbatim is very simple to use, as it hooks to your computer with a USB cable. You simply load the software provided on a CD that has Bounceback Express software on it, and then go into the settings and create a backup set, then away you go. During this process you simply put a check by the files in My Documents, or wherever you store them, that you want to back up and  tell it to do it regularly (if stays plugged in) or to let you do it manually. You can also edit any backup set at any time by going into Settings.

The first time you backup your data will take a couple of hours or so, but then in subsequent backups it will just search the hard drive and back up anything new since your last backup. This takes only minutes, in my experience.

The Verbatim also has a restore feature, and a verification process you can engage, if you choose. I would recommend using the verification feature for sure the first time you put data on the hard drive.

The hard drive unit is about the size of a flask, and my friend even says it looks like one, but I can assure you it just has data files in it. It is silver in color, with black on the ends. It runs very quietly, and is very fast. I have been very pleased.

I also purchased a Case Logic compact portable firm hard drive case, which it fits nicely and securely into. There is also a pocket on the opposite side with a netting to put your USB cable into, and a few other items. The case then zips to protect the hard drive.

Verbatim PORTABLE HARD DRIVE 500GB

Verbatim PORTABLE HARD DRIVE 500GB

COMPACT, PORTABLE DRIVE FEATURES A SLEEK PIANO BLACK FINISH SUPERSPEED USB 3.0 INCREASES TRANSFER SPEED UP TO 10X FASTER THAN USB 2.0 BACKWARDLY COMPA...
Shoplet.com

Verbatim Store n Go 97397 Hard Drive - 500GB - USB - 2.5 - External - Piano Black

Experience transfer speeds up to 10x faster with the new SuperSpeed USB 3.0 This Verbatim compact external portable hard drive features a sleek piano-...
VERBATIM  STORE N GO 500GB USB 3.0 2.5 INCH Hot Swappable Black Extern

VERBATIM STORE N GO 500GB USB 3.0 2.5 INCH Hot Swappable Black Extern

VERBATIM STORE N GO 500GB USB 3.0 2.5 INCH Hot Swappable Black External Hard Drive. New Retail Factory Sealed With Full Manufacturer Warranty.
ALLHDD

Verbatim 97397 500gb Store 'n' Go (r) Superspeed Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

Verbatim 97397 500gb Store 'n' Go (r) Superspeed Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

Description: 500GB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 increases transfer speed up to 10x faster than USB 2.0 Backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports Includes Nero(R) B...

Verbatim Store N Go Portable Hard Drive

Verbatim Store N Go Portable Hard Drive

Includes Nero BackItUp amp; Burn Essentials software for automatic scheduling and encrypted backup with password control. Features USB 3.0 connectivit...
Shoplet.com

VERBATIM - SMARTDISK VERBATIM CORPORATION 97397 500GB USB 3.0 HARD DRIVE

VERBATIM - SMARTDISK VERBATIM CORPORATION 97397 500GB USB 3.0 HARD DRIVE

USB 3.0 portable hard drive is pocket-sized for ultimate portability. Scuff-resistant casing reduces fingerprints and scratches. Shock-resistant techn...
Verbatim Store 'n' Go 53042 500 GB 2.5 External Hard Drive - USB 3.0, FireWire/i.LINK 800 - 5400 rpm - 8 MB Buffer - Black