Verbatim 97262 Wireless Laser Mouse Reviews

Verbatim 97262 Wireless Laser Mouse

Wow, this one is a tough call

Jun 21, 2012

Pros:Reasonably priced, excellent build quality, smooth tracking on many surfaces

Cons:Too slippery for mobile use, scroll wheel is incredibly stiff (almost useless because of that)

The Bottom Line: For mobile use, try a HP 2.4GHz Wireless Mouse
For desktop use, try a Microsoft Wireless "Mobile" Mouse 6000 (not good for mobile use, ironically)

I don't think you'll find a better quality mouse anywhere near the price point that this one sells at.  So if you think of it in terms of price alone, it's a pretty good value.
But it's also a pretty annoying mouse to use.
In it's favor, it has one thing going for it.  It tracks smoothly on many different surfaces.  Microsoft "bluetrack" fails this test, miserably.  Verbatim clearly has the expertise to design a good mouse.
So why didn't they?
Overall size, shape and weight are all pretty pleasing.  It's a compact mouse, not good for long-term use (your fingers will cramp up after a while from holding this thing as it is too small).  But I can't ding it too much for being too small as better than 75% of the competition is the same size or smaller.
What I can ding it for is that it doesn't stay on my laptop desk.  With the slightest incline, it will slide right off.  That's annoying.
The real problem that I can't stand however is the scroll wheel.  The scroll wheel is extremely stiff.  Meaning, it takes a great effort to "spin" the scroll wheel.  It's hard to describe how hard it is to spin a scroll wheel.  But just browsing the web for a half hour feels like a real workout, due to the scroll wheel which is really hard to move.
I'm going to say I do NOT recommend this mouse, just because of the scroll wheel.  Tactile feedback is OK.  But this thing almost takes two fingers just to rotate the scroll wheel.  That's ridiculous level of "feedback".
I'd normally write a longer review.  But this mouse has been relegated to emergency backup duty.  Because of the scroll wheel, I can't stand to use this mouse enough to give it a real in-depth review.

VERBATIM Mouse Wireless Nano Laser Notebook Graphite and Black 97262