Vicks Vaporub 6oz

Informed Use Of VapoRub

May 5, 2001 (Updated May 5, 2001)

Pros:Inexpensive, been on the market for over 80 years.

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: This medicine has been proven effective not only by its popularity, but the fact it has been on the market for years.

Vicks

Vicks have been used for decades, since it was first introduced on the market. Most of our Mother's and Grandmother's have used it on us as some type of miracle vapor rub. I remember as a child, the hot warm bath, thick socks and flannel pj's Mama used to put on me. She rubbed me down with Vicks making sure my nice rosy skin was covered. My neck, check, back, forehead, earlobes and a dab under my nose. I still remember the huge head rush I would get. I am not sure if it was the power of the camphor assaulting my nostrils, the cooling effects it gave my skin, or the healing power of Mama's hands massaging in the ointment that made me feel so well.

I use VapoRub with my children, and sure they will use it with my grandchildren.(If they see fit to give me any!!) I tried using "Campho Stick" rub and found it not as effective, having to reapply it quite often. You also have the choice of using a store brand, again nothing has compared with the real deal.

I am writing this to inform on what some may not know about Vicks, and other facts you may be aware of already.

How Vicks Works

When you inhale the vapors of Vicks they have a decongestant and antitussive (decrease coughing) effect. It is supposed to be used in conjunction with a common cold. Not unlike camphor, menthol and eucalyptus oils. All clinically have relieved a significant amount of nasal decongestion, but not to be used long term.

Warnings

Now here comes the good stuff. This is for external use only, none of the putting it in the nose as Mama did. DO NOT ADD TO HOT WATER, bacterial thrives in humidifiers and once you add Vapor Rub to that you are only asking for trouble. There have been documented cases of pneumonia from over exposure too warm and hot moist heat humidifiers being placed near bedsides. Your child or you are inhaling for hours some bacteria along with the Vapor Rub which is opening bronchial passages allowing the bacterial to settle in the lungs. May be used with cool mist vaporizers, although it does melt but will float atop the water. DO NOT add to boiling water and put your head over the pan with a towel like your Grandmother may have done, this also can cause harm. The warnings are in very small words on the side of the box. It is not to be taken internally ( you may think this one is silly but it is done around the world daily for sore throats)

Vapor Rub is not to be used on children under the age of six months although it is usually tolerated with infants and children. The precautions state it is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Adverse reactions in the past 80 years of the product being on the market are less than 1-2% of people who use Vicks topically will develop minor skin irritation or dermatitis. Those with allergies to any of the ingredients should not use this product.

The Upside

Vicks have been used for many things in the last decade. Some say it works well on hemorrhoids. I cannot say it does or does not, as you will not catch me applying something that stings my eyes to my anus! Common sense tells me not to do that.

It does give a soothing relief from symptoms of a cold and helps you to breathe a little better. Which is what the medication was made to do.

Nail technologists are starting to use it for nail fungus brought on my improper cleansing of the nails before application of acrylic. Causing a green, or yellowing of the nail. Vicks have apparently worked well in a few people, but there is no substantial documentation or study performed on this subject, so it is purely speculative at this point.

"Smile it only hurts for a second."

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Vicks vaporub medicated vapors begin to work fast to relieve your cough. Use on chest and throat; temporar...

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Irresistible Deals 4 You NEW Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (Pack of 2) - We only sell Brand New items. - This item i...

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Procter & Gamble Cold and Congestion Relief Vicks® VapoRub® Ointment 6 oz. - MON61182700

BettyMills.com

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz (3 Pack)

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz (3 Pack)

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 oz (3 PACK)

American Drug Supply Store
Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

This product may be FSA eligible. Please check with IRS Pub. 502 for Eligibility Vapo Rub Is Applied Externally So It Doesn't Interact With Other Medi...

Vicks VapoRub Chest Rub 3.53 oz

Vicks VapoRub Chest Rub 3.53 oz

On chest and throat, temporarily relieves cough due to common coldOn muscles and joints, temporarily relieves minor aches and pains. The active ingred...
Vitacost.com