Vicks Vaporub 6oz

An Unlikely but Effective Treatment for Nail Fungus

Aug 17, 2002

Pros:Safe, effective, and economical.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: No one knows why Vicks VapoRub cures nail fungus. But it does.

I don’t do product reviews.

Did some early on…didn’t enjoy it…didn’t do it well…stopped.

I wouldn’t be doing this one, but I noticed a serious information gap on this product. Figured I could help some folks by writing this. So this is sort of a public service review. But don’t expect too much.

‘Cause I don’t do product reviews.

I’m in my early fifties, and I’ve used Vicks VapoRub since I was a little tot. I can remember my Mom slathering Vicks on my chest every time I caught a cold or cough. And it worked. The soothing vapors calmed the cough, and relieved the nasal and chest congestion. You just rub it on your chest (better yet…let your Mom do it), and cover it loosely so the vapors can escape.

The scent of Vicks still brings back wonderful memories of staying home from school, flannel pajamas, thick, soft quilts, and a mother’s loving care.

If chicken soup is comfort food; Vicks VapoRub is definitely comfort medication.

VapoRub can also be used to soothe sore aching muscles. It was the original sports gel.

But there’s more to Vicks VapoRub and most folks who need it don’t know about it. For some unknown reason, VapoRub cures nail fungus.

Nail fungus (onychomycosis) digests keratin which is the protective outer layer of the nail. The keratin goes into over-production and separates from the nail bed. The result is thick discolored and sometimes pitted finger and toenails. It’s not just a cosmetic problem. Left untreated, it may spread to other nails and become quite painful. And it won’t just go away by itself.

Treatments vary. Some doctors will recommend topical ointments that are expensive and not always effective. Some will prescribe oral medications with the accompanying risk of serious side affects and possible adverse drug interactions. Others even want to cut the entire nail off with no guaranty that the fungus will not return with the new nail.

But there is a safer and easier way.

Those pitted, misshapen, yellowish green nails that are a source of embarrassment, and stubbornly resist all sorts of expensive treatments will clear up beautifully with a little application of Vicks VapoRub twice a day.

Just put a little dab of Vicks on the tip of your finger, and rub it on the affected nail and around the cuticle. Do it once in the morning, and again in the evening. And be patient. It will not go away overnight. In fact, it will take about four to six months for the nail to completely grow out and the fungus to disappear. But you will be able to see healthy nail beginning to form at the cuticle as your nail grows.

After the new, healthy nail is completely grown out and there is no longer any sign of the fungus, I would continue to apply the Vicks at least once daily for about an additional month just to be on the safe side.

You won’t find any information in any of the Vicks literature about this use for VapoRub. Nail fungus is not an acknowledged indication for its use. I don’t even recall how I first learned of it.

But it works.

And your nasty nail will at least smell menthol fresh!

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Vicks vaporub medicated vapors begin to work fast to relieve your cough. Use on chest and throat; temporar...

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Irresistible Deals 4 You NEW Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (Pack of 2) - We only sell Brand New items. - This item i...

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Procter & Gamble Cold and Congestion Relief Vicks® VapoRub® Ointment 6 oz. - MON61182700

BettyMills.com

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 oz

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz (3 Pack)

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 Oz (3 Pack)

Vicks Vaporub Baby Rub Soothing Ointment - 1.76 oz (3 PACK)

American Drug Supply Store
Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

This product may be FSA eligible. Please check with IRS Pub. 502 for Eligibility Vapo Rub Is Applied Externally So It Doesn't Interact With Other Medi...

Vicks VapoRub Chest Rub 3.53 oz

Vicks VapoRub Chest Rub 3.53 oz

On chest and throat, temporarily relieves cough due to common coldOn muscles and joints, temporarily relieves minor aches and pains. The active ingred...
Vitacost.com