Vicks Vaporub 6oz

"Vicks VapoRub Is A Requirement With Three Small Children."

Sep 17, 2000

Pros:It aids in relief of congestion and coughing as well as muscle ache and pain. It is applied topically therefore avoiding conflict with internal medications.

Cons:The odor is strong to some, but after it is applied and your senses adjust and it starts to work, the odor is not even in question anymore!

Regardless if you are a parent it is likely you are already aware of what a great product Vicks VapoRub is. Remembering my childhood and my mom rubbing this strong smelling ointment under my nose brings forth bad and good vibes for me.

Memories of Vicks VapoRub

As far back as my memory will take me, there has always been "Vicks VapoRub" in the medicine cabinet. No, I am not ancient nor am I old as dirt, but back when I was a little girl this was one product that families put their trust in to help a small one with difficulty breathing due to colds. The fact is that families still put their faith and trust in this well-known product because they are aware of its effectiveness.

The bad memories that this over the counter medication brings to mind for me is the sickness. I can recall being sick often with bronchitis and Vicks was always on call for those nights that I just could not breath well. The smell was less than pleasing for me since it is such a strong menthol smell. However, some like the smell of menthol so the odor may not be a factor. Once it has been applied and your senses adjust you will notice it is not a real bother anymore.

The good memories are obviously after the Vicks had been applied and after I had adjusted to the initial overwhelming odor it would open my airway up and allow me to breath without having my mouth wide open trying to gasp for air. We all know that (mouth wide open) results in only more sickness with a sore throat the next morning. Vicks VapoRub prevents that from happening.

VapoRub can be found in my medicine cabinet to this day. I am no longer the little girl, but the mother taking care of her three little boys.

What Is The Correct Way To Administer Vicks VapoRub?

This Over the Counter medication is recommended for adults and children that are at least 2 years old. To relieve congestion and coughing due to a cold, rub thick layers of VapoRub on the chest and throat. It is suggested that loose clothes be worn to allow the vapors to rise to the nose and mouth. If you choose you may place a soft, dry cloth over the application to prevent it from getting on clothes, bedding. Just do not press it to make it snug to the body. Remember to keep the cloth or clothes loose because the way this medication works for cough and congestion is through inhalation.

To apply this medication under the nose is not suggested on the container by the manufacture however it does not say that you should not rub it under your nose but it does clearly state to not put the ointment in your nostrils or mouth. So I personally would recommend that you be careful about this type of application of this product on a small child since they unconsciously will rub the ointment (even if it is in their sleep) and it could end up in the mouth or eyes. Obviously an older child or adult would be capable of handling this type of application in most cases. Application under the nose does work effectively however this is not how the product directions read and you may choose to follow the instructions given for safety.

The product can also be used for muscle aches and pains by rubbing on the sore areas. The effect is similar to that of "Icy Hot" only you will not feel you skin turn "flaming hot".

VapoRub and Vaporizers

Remember the combination of VapoRub and Vaporizers? Most of you will I am sure. I certainly remember those nights when my mom would put the Vicks VapoRub in the Vaporizer to help me breathe through the night. You would just scoop some of the Vicks ointment onto a spoon and right into the intended tray (cup). Again, this was an effective way to assure your child would be able to sleep peacefully through the night. Now, doctors have advised against Warm Vaporizers because of the danger for children with the "boiling" water. Now they medical personnel direct parents to purchase the Cool Mist Vaporizers. You can still use the Vicks ointment in these vaporizers as well, the ointment still melts and it still gets in the air. Regardless if you have the Warm or Cool Mist Vaporizer Vicks will still work.

Is It A Myth Or Not?

Maybe you have heard this before and maybe not but I just wanted to share it with each of you. Members of my family as well as past doctors we have visited have informed us to make certain that before a child goes out in cool weather that you bathe the Vicks off of them completely with soap and water. If you do not remove the medication from their skin it could likely cause them to only become more sick and possibly cause pneumonia. Since my family was given this information from a doctor it is hard to believe it could be a myth but depending on who you ask, you may be told it is just hear say or a myth. I personally would avoid the possible risk at all costs. Again, that would be my personal decision.

Product Appearance

I find it unlikely that you do not know what Vicks VapoRub looks like but there is always one or two people who have not been introduced to a product and it is helpful to know what you are looking for.

Vickscomes in a blue plastic jar with a green twist off cap. It is not child proof and can be opened easily so it should be placed out of reach of small children. It can be found everywhere.

Just A Few More Comments About The Product

Thankfully the heavy jars that this product once came in has changed over to the light weight plastic. The only thing this manufacture could do to improve its product is to make the twist off cap available in a child safety form. We all know the importance behind keeping medications out of reach of children but taking extra measures would not hurt.

6 Reasons Why Vicks VapoRub Should Be In Your Medicine Cabinet

6. Vicks is a topical medication so it does not cause conflict with any medications being taking orally.

5. It is not only for a cough and congestion, but for muscle aches. You are getting two medicines in one container.

4. Can be used on a child as young as 2 years old. At 2 years old doctors don't like to prescribe medication unless there is no other choice these days. This is your next best choice to give your child relief.

3. Unless you have skin allergies you are not likely to have a reaction to this medication since it is a topical.

2. Now it comes in a convenient lotion instead of the greasy ointment we have all dreaded putting on our bodies. I have heard the lotion works just as well as the ointment.

1. You will be able to Breathe!!!

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 6 oz

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Vicks vaporub medicated vapors begin to work fast to relieve your cough. Use on chest and throat; temporar...

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (pack Of 2)

Irresistible Deals 4 You NEW Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 6 Oz (Pack of 2) - We only sell Brand New items. - This item i...

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Vicks VapoRub, 100 gr

Procter & Gamble Cold and Congestion Relief Vicks® VapoRub® Ointment 6 oz. - MON61182700

BettyMills.com

Vicks Vicks VapoRub-100 g Ointment

Vicks Vicks VapoRub-100 g Ointment

From the Manufacturer: When applied to chest and throat, temporarily relieves cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation associated with the c...
Puritan's Pride®

11ct Vicks Vaporub Ointment 11/15 Allergy Cold Cough Suppressant Analgesic Lk

11ct Vicks Vaporub Ointment 11/15 Allergy Cold Cough Suppressant Analgesic Lk

11 VICKS VAPORUB NASAL CHEST CONGESTION OINTMENT ~LOW BUY IT NOW PRICE FAST SHIPPING! PHOTO SHOWS 1, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE 11 BRAND NEW 1.76oz (19.36oz...

Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

Vicks Vaporub, Ointment 3.53oz, 100 Gr

This product may be FSA eligible. Please check with IRS Pub. 502 for Eligibility Vapo Rub Is Applied Externally So It Doesn't Interact With Other Medi...

Vicks VapoRub Cough Suppressant Ointment - 3.5 oz