ViewSonic Optiquest Q9B-2 19" LCD Monitor Reviews

ViewSonic Optiquest Q9B-2 19" LCD Monitor

The Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor is a bargain monitor that actually works!

Sep 5, 2009
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Bright display

Cons:Weak power capacitors will fail under continuous use, poor speakers

The Bottom Line: The Optiquest Q9 LCD is bright LCD monitor but lacks height adjustment and has poor speakers.

I acquired my Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor by repairing it and saving it from the trash heap.  Yes, if you wish to purchase your own Q9, you must first make sure that it is new or if used comes with a 30 day warranty.  The power capacitors in this monitor are to weak to handle the power supply and will burn out after repeated use.   If you are capable of changing them out yourself, you can get quite a bargain with this product.

Image Quality
My experience with this monitor has been very good.  I enjoy the bright text and high speed rendering of images.  I found the lighting of the monitor particularly good, from corner to corner the lighting was even making reading of text fairly easy in 1024x768. The monitor features 300 nits of brightness and a 700:1 contrast ratio; these features combine to make a very enjoyable viewing experience. A 8ms video response ensures the monitor can handle most high speed video scenes as well.

You should also consider the strength of your computer when buying a new LCD monitor for your computer.  Higher resolutions and increased color depth mean the video card in your computer is going to have to work harder to render the text and video that you have enjoyed in the past.  As a result, you need to ensure that the system is capable of supporting your new purchase.

Adjustments / Settings
At the bottom of the display are five buttons.  The button in the center is the power button but the other four are used for adjusting the preferences of the display.

Sound
Two speakers, on either side of the bottom of the black frame and measuring less than 1.5" in diameter, are available with this computer display.  I left mine connected for a day while listening to Green Day 21st Century Breakdown and was ultimately discouraged with the sound quality.  Only high frequency sounds are reproduced with these speakers and they can get clipped easily while Green Day hits their frequent guitar blasts.  The sound will travel a maximum of 5' so in an office this can be a way of getting directional sound at your workstation.

Physical Dimensions And Mounting Considerations
The frame of the Optiquest Q9 LCD Monitor is 14” high x 16 1/2” wide x 2 ¼” deep all on a deep black plastic frame that appears to be composed of just two pieces of plastic.  The stand for the monitor adds an additional 2” of height and has an oval pedestal that measures 11” long x 7” deep.

The monitor can also use a standard VESA wall mount like the Sanus Large Universal Flat Panel Mount PLA50B-01 if you wish to hang the product on the wall.  Since this monitor also has sound, you can create a very interesting demonstration monitor for a trade show booth or in a store front.

Power Consumption Of The Optiquest Q9
Using a Kill A Watt P4400, I obtained the following power consumption statistics.  During a normal programming work day, I started the Kwh monitor at 7:05 AM on 8/20/2009 and took another reading at 4:39 pm to get a final value of 0.30 Kwh consumed by the Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor.

Peak power consumption during the business day was 34 watts while playing the Ambience, Water Visualization full screen at 1280 x 1024 in Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3354.

The lowest power consumption occurred when I set the brightness from 99 to 1 and got a value of 16 watts with just a background image of my dogs on the screen.  I did have a hard time viewing the screen but when I turned the fluorescent lights off in the workroom of my IT department the detail was easily seen again.

Reducing the resolution from 1280 x 1024 to 800 x 600 did not affect the power consumption of the Optiquest Q9 LCD monitor.

Overall, I was very impressed with the power consumption of the Optiquest Q9 19” LCD monitor.  We can conclude that setting the brightness value down to lower than 50 will result in the greatest power savings over the lifetime of this monitor.

Technical Specifications
1280 x 1024 SXGA maximum resolution
VGA output, No DVI support
Weight is 5 pounds
Compatible with IBM PC and Mac
Energy Star Compliant
Complies with the TCO'99 standard of recyclability, emissions, and viewing comfort

Summary
If you can look over the flawed power capacitors, the Optiquest Q9 19" LCD monitor may be a good bargain for you.  My company made a group buy of several of these monitors and they have all failed over the course of three years.  I managed to save this one from the trash can and repair it but the job was time consuming.

The monitor does have a good brightness level and reasonably sharp resolution at 1280 x 1024.  If you want to purchase this monitor, you will have to go online and be prepared for a hunt since this product is out of production.

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

Viewsonic Value Va2342-led 23 Led Lcd Monitor - 16:9 - 5 Ms

Viewsonic Value Va2342-led 23 Led Lcd Monitor - 16:9 - 5 Ms

the Viewsonic Va2432-led Comes Equipped With A Long-lasting And Highly Efficient Power-saving Led Backlight As Well As Viewsonic's Exclusive Eco-mode ...

Viewsonic Professional VP2365-LED Widescreen LCD Monitor

Viewsonic Professional VP2365-LED Widescreen LCD Monitor 23IN WS LED 1920X1080 10001 VP2365-LED VGA DVI-D HGT/PVT/SWVL 23 - LED - 6ms - 169 - Adjustab...
Newegg.com

Viewsonic Professional VP2365-LED Widescreen LCD Monitor

The VP2365-LED is one of ViewSonic's new LED Professional Series monitors that utilizes the power of IPS panel technology. With IPS true colors, high ...
PCNation

Viewsonic Professional VP2365-LED 23 LED LCD Monitor 16:9, 6 ms

23IN WS LED 1920X1080 1000:1 VP2365-LED VGA DVI-D HGT/PVT/SWVL
Viewsonic VX2370Smh-LED 23 LED LCD Monitor - 4 ms

Viewsonic VX2370Smh-LED 23 LED LCD Monitor - 4 ms

Designed with frameless bezel and touch keys, the ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED sets a new milestone for display design delivering cutting- edge, trendy amb...
PCNation

ViewSonic VA2251M-LED VA2251m-LED - LED monitor - 22

ViewSonic VA2251M-LED VA2251m-LED - LED monitor - 22

ViewSonic VA2251m-LED - LED monitor - 22 - 1920 x 1080 FullHD - 250 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 10000000:1 (dynamic) - 5 ms - DVI-D VGA - speakers
PCM

ViewSonic TD2220 22 Class LED Touchscreen Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 20000000:1 Dynamic, 1000:1 Native, 5ms, VGA, DVI, Energy Star, Touch Screen Display Monitors

ViewSonic TD2220 22' Class LED Touchscreen Monitor Enjoy a spectacular visual performance as you manage your work and multimedia activities on the Vie...
TigerDirect.com

Viewsonic VSD220 22 1920x1080 1000:1 5ms Smart Display LED-lit Monitor

Viewsonic VSD220 22 1920x1080 1000:1 5ms Smart Display LED-lit Monitor

PC-less computing is at your fingertips with this 21.5 ViewSonic VSD220 LED Smart Display. Enjoy your Android browsing experience on the high-powered ...