Virtual Reality VRCD400-SDU CD Player/USB In Dash Receiver Reviews

Virtual Reality VRCD400-SDU CD Player/USB In Dash Receiver

Great value, pity about the quality

Apr 26, 2006 (Updated May 1, 2006)
  • User Rating: OK

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Cheap, good sound quality

Cons:FM reception, sometimes USB does not work, power sometimes cuts out.

The Bottom Line: Pity it is not better quality but maybe you get what you pay for.

I live out in the country and the roads are so rough and you get jolted so much I could not play cds so I was looking for something with a USB so I saw this at Walmart for $79 dollars and thought how far could I go wrong. Also with the jolting and dust my car stereos only tend to last a few years.

I installed this myself and it was quite easy. I have never heard of VR3 before so I thought this would be a cheap and nasty player but I was impressed with the quality of the finish of the equipment, display, fittings etc.

I find the sound quality just as good as the previous audio which as a Sanyo FXCD-500.

The previous reviewer of this equipment did not like the FM reception and my wife said the same but I found it just as good as the previous receiver.

The only thing I found strange was that if you are listening to a cd and turn off the player and then turn it back on it returns to the start of the song, for example if I was listening to song 3 on a CD and was one minute into the song and turn off the player and then turn it on again it restarts at the start of song 3, not one minute into the song.

When the power is turned off the USB returns back to the start of the files as loaded on the USB stick. I usually download radio broadcasts which can be up to 3 hours long on one mp3 file. When you have listened to say 1 hour and then turn off the power the USB starts at the begining of the mp3 so you have to relisten to the first hour. I think this is a problem common to all the car audios with USB as I know the clarion and the JVC USB models also do the same so in a year or two I suspect someone will have solved this problem.

Considering this was only $79 I think it is great value.

When I wrote this review a week ago the equipment was working fine but after using the eqipment for one week we had quite a few problems being
i. sometimes the USB stopped working or it gives the message "ERROR 13"
ii. the jolting on our rough roads made the power cut-out - there is obviously something loose inside the equipment as I rewire this twice to make sure my installation wasn't the problem
iii. the FM is very spotty - sometimes it works well and then at other times it works very badly.
Due to these three problems I replaced the receiver with the previous unit.

Vrcd220fd - Cd Car Stereo Receiver Cheap Under $100

Vrcd220fd - Cd Car Stereo Receiver Cheap Under $100

THIS SALE IS FOR A NEW FACTORY ORIGINAL PACKAGING, NO REFURBISHED VRCD220FD - CD Car Stereo Receiver Flip down CD-RW SD USB MP3 decoder AM/FM radio tu...

Roadmaster Vrcd220fd Cd/mp3 In Dash Receiver -

Roadmaster Vrcd220fd Cd/mp3 In Dash Receiver -

**RETAIL BOX HAS A LITTLE SHELF WEAR, BUT, CONTENT IS IN BRAND NEW CONDITION**BRAND NEW Roadmaster VRCD220FD CD/MP3 In Dash Receiver AM/FM Stereo Flip...