VitaBone Dog Biscuits Reviews

VitaBone Dog Biscuits

VitaBone Dog Biscuits - The Only Biscuits Our Dogs Will Eat

Feb 18, 2005

Pros:The only biscuits our dogs will eat, very affordable

Cons:Has wheat and corn

The Bottom Line: I recommend these for a treat as our dogs love them.

VitaBone Dog Biscuits has been in our family for at least 13 years now. We have tried giving our dogs, a German Shepherd, a Golden Retriever and 2 English Springer Spaniels other brands including the more expensive Milk Bone and they will flatly refuse to eat them. We have tried the basted biscuits, the colored biscuits, and small, medium, large and different shapes biscuits. We have even tried a local facility that makes homemade biscuits. Our dogs will drop them and sulk. We cannot believe how they are so stuck on one product.

As soon as I awake every morning, the dogs will hop around, talk, yap, and jump over each other as they push me towards the box of dog biscuits. As soon as they each grab one, they will then and only then go outside to do their business. They refuse to go out the door until they have a biscuit. Even as bad as they sometimes have to do their business, I will watch them hold the biscuit in their mouth as they go.

However, now that I am becoming more aware of the pet food industry and the ingredients that are used for our beloved pets, I am not overly thrilled at the ingredients in these, but I have also looked at other popular brands and I am not happy with those either except for your brands like Nutro or Flint River.

The Product

American Nutrition makes Vitabone Dog Biscuits. They are a smaller company who also makes dog food and cat food.

Vitabone claims that their biscuits are designed to provide necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary to maintain adult dogs muscles, bones, nerves, eye, coat, and good health without excessive protein and fat which can lead to obesity.

Vitabone offers this in different sizes for your dogs of small, medium, and large. They also offer the flavor ones, however not in a large sized biscuit.

We have been buying the kennel size box, which is 12 pounds of large size biscuits for about $8.00. They are a golden color and not too thick nor too thin and are shaped like a dog bone with the name "Vitabone" embossed on each biscuit.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein: 16.0% (Min.)
Crude Fat: 6.5% (Min.)
Crude Fiber: 8.0% (Min.)
Moisture: 10.0% (Max.)
Ash: 8.5% (Max.)
Calcium: 1.0% (Min.)
Phosphorus: 0.9% (Min.)

Ingredients:

Wheat Flour, Poultry Meal, Ground Wheat, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA), Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast with Molasses and Yeast Extract, Salt, Calcium Carbonate

What I Think About the Ingredients

A lot of dog foods have by-products, which seems to make dog owners think that it is gross and refuse to feed it to their dog. However, I have noticed living out in the country that dogs come across a carcass and eat all that stuff. Our bird dogs will catch and eat birds leaving the feathers of course. And yet, we are always told not to feed your dogs chicken bones or pork bones. It makes you wonder just how did they eat that whole bird? They crunch the bones, because I caught one of the Spaniels eating a game bird last year. I realize they eat them in the wild, but bones still scare me for our domesticated animals in case they get stuck.

As far as the by-product meal in the dog food, I would rather it have a certain by-product meal and not just listed as "poultry", "meat" or "animal" by-product meal.
Dogs are meat eaters and not grain eaters and I would much prefer to feed our dogs products that are mainly meat.

Corn is a product used by the dog food makers to keep the price cheap, and some dogs don't have any problems with corn, but some do. Ground corn is the entire ear of corn ground without the husks. Corn gluten meal is the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of cornstarch or syrup. If you start to see your dog itching, licking its feet, scooting its butt, having flatulence problems, getting ear infections, it is a good indicator that the corn may be the source of the problem.

In our case, our dogs were eating a dog food that had corn as an ingredient and started producing big gas problems causing us big quality air problems, so we changed dog foods. The dog biscuits still cause gas but since you do not feed them as much they do not get as much gas.

My biggest and final concern is the Animal Fat with the BHA preservative. Animal Fat is obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. I would really prefer if it has animal fat for it to be preserved with mixed Tocopherols, which is Vitamin E.

Recommend or Not?

Well, like I said in the beginning, my dogs have eaten these for over 13 years. They are healthy, spunky, and have had no health problems. I have also noticed that their teeth are clean and they have never had any dental problems nor have had to have their teeth professionally cleaned. The dogs love these biscuits and since it is not their main food source, I will recommend them, otherwise, unless you are really rich, you are going to be spending tons of money on dog food and dog treats by buying the more expensive brands.

Iams ProActive Health Adult Weight Control Formula Dog Biscuits, 24-oz

Iams ProActive Health Adult Weight Control Formula Dog Biscuits, 24-oz

Iams ProActive Health Adult Weight Control Formula Dog Biscuits, 24-oz; Iams Proactive Health Adult Weight Control Biscuits are formulated to address ...
Chewy.com

Dog Biscuit

Dog Biscuit

When a little girl eats a dog biscuit by mistake, she becomes worried about the consequences.
Fiber Formula Dog Biscuits 26 oz

Fiber Formula Dog Biscuits 26 oz

26 oz -- Fiber Formula Dog Biscuits meet nutritional guidelines for dogs on weight-control programs, sodium-restricted diets, and fat-restricted diets...
VetApprovedRx
Gourmet Dog Biscuits - Frontgate

Gourmet Dog Biscuits - Frontgate

100% USDA Certified Organic. Variety of flavors. Certified Kosher. Fresh baked in Vermont. Wheat-, corn-, and soy-free. Delight your dog with tasty Al...
Frontgate
Only Natural Pet Holiday Dog Biscuits

Only Natural Pet Holiday Dog Biscuits

Give your dog the tastes of the holidays with these wholesome, grain-free, oven baked biscuits
Only Natural Pet

Make Your Own Healthy Dog Biscuits Recipe Book And Cutters 100% Nutritious

Make Your Own Healthy Dog Biscuits Recipe Book And Cutters 100% Nutritious

Another Great Estate Auction Find! Celebrating 14 years with ebay! Inventory stored in a non-smoking environment. International shipping is by USPS Pr...
Nutro Ultra Healthy Skin & Coat Blend Dog Biscuits - 16 oz.

Nutro Ultra Healthy Skin & Coat Blend Dog Biscuits - 16 oz.

Nutro Ultra Healthy Skin & Coat Blend Dog Biscuits are all natural dog biscuits made with salmon and sunflower oil. They are designed to give your dog...
PetSolutions

Dog Biscuit By Kent Feeds

Dog Biscuit By Kent Feeds

4Lb Small Dog Biscuits: Biscuits Dog Flavored Small Food Pet Treats
Milk-Bone Original Dog Biscuits - for Large-sized Dogs, 4-Pound

Milk-Bone Original Dog Biscuits - for Large-sized Dogs, 4-Pound

Milk-Bone Original Biscuits are crunchy dog snacks that are wholesome and delicious. Prepared with care by the makers of Milk-Bone dog snacks, these t...

Dog Biscuit Risk It: Doggie Skins Dog Tank Top

Dog Biscuit Risk It: Doggie Skins Dog Tank Top

With no risk comes no reward. You have to go out on a limb to get what you want in life. It's time to get FIRED UP! GET THAT DOG BISCUIT! That's a goo...
Customized Girl