Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese 11oz Reviews

Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese 11oz

Gravvvvy! My dog loves his Vita Gravy and he's healthier because of it!

Aug 21, 2009

Pros:Easily digestable, lots of vitamins, helps dogs eat more, good for coat and skin

Cons:I haven't seen much improvement in Mick's coat/skin just yet.

The Bottom Line: Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouches have helped my older dog to gain much needed weight. It's tasty, natural, and easy to digest. Lots of oils for the coat too.

I recently took my nearly 13 year old Jack Russell Terrier to the vet for his yearly shots and a check up. The vet noted that Mickey had lost some weight and also that his skin was scaly and dry, which it always has been. It just seems much worse lately. My vet suggested that I pick up some Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese to add to Mickey's food. This would hopefully encourage him to eat a bit more and give him some needed vitamins and minerals for energy and get his skin under control.

I had never heard of the stuff but found it at a local pet store. Mick loves it. I haven't yet seen major changes in his coat or skin but he is eating better and seems to feel better!

The Official Word

VitaGravy is a dietary supplement that combines fresh, wholesome ingredients with vitamins and minerals in an all-natural, rice-based formula. VitaGravy is scientifically formulated to enhance all dog foods, including premium brands, without causing nutritional interference or digestive upset. Just one squeeze over your dog's dry food provides a tail-waggin' delight and a boost of 16 essential vitamins and minerals for energy, performance and a radiant coat! VitaGravy never contains artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, animal by-products or added chemicals or preservatives. Veterinarian Recommended.

Manufacturer's Info

About Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese

There are four flavors of Vita Gravy to choose from but I bought the one specified by my vet. This gravy comes in an 11 ounce pouch with a pour spout. It should be refrigerated after opening. The directions say to use one tablespoon per one half cup of dry food. My vet told me I could use the gravy on canned food as well if Mickey really refused to eat dry as he had been. The gravy smells like bacon and I can't really tell it's not "people" food. It's as thick as real canned gravy and looks like it too.

Our Experience

I say "our" because I have to rely on Mickey to tell me if the taste is good and if the gravy is easy on the digestive track.

When I first bought Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese, I poured out one half cup of dry dog food and added one tablespoon of it on the food. Mickey sniffed at it and seemed to like the smell but he only licked the gravy and didn't eat the food. That wasn't a disaster but I wanted him to eat more so I went to plan B which was using the gravy mixed with Mickey's canned food.

I gave him a small can of food with a tablespoon of Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese mixed in. Usually, Micky will eat a few bites and leave the rest. This time, he ate almost the whole can and seemed to do so with gusto.

Because he's older, Mickey often has digestive issues when he eats new things or even when he just eats a little too much. I was sure he would throw up after eating so fast and so much more than usual but he didn't. Yay for that!

I stored the pouch in the fridge and, when it was time to use it again, I admit, I warmed it slightly. It didn't congeal or thicken but I just didn't think cold gravy on food would be appealing to my dog. It isn't to me!

Again, Mickey ate more and kept it down. When I didn't add the gravy, he ate less. Obviously this stuff has a dog friendly taste!

One pouch will deliver about 22 servings of gravy per one half cup of food and you should use it once per day or less. The package warns not to use it for long periods of time but my vet said I can use the gravy for each meal for as long as I feel the need to. When Mickey's weight is up a little more, I'll taper off the gravy and see how things go.

As far as what Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese actually does for the skin and coat, I'm still waiting to see. I really haven't noticed a huge difference in the dryness of Mickey's skin. I do treat him with a cedar oil based natural product as well and that doesn't seem to help much either.

But getting my little dog to eat more was the primary reason I bought this product. I could see his ribs and he was so light that it scared me. Now, with an added couple of pounds, he looks healthier, his ribs aren't jutting out, and he seems somewhat more energetic.

For the $5.50 I spend per pouch, I have no complaints. My dog loves the taste and it's keeping him at a desirable weight. Perhaps after a while, his coat and skin will show improvements as well.

The other flavors of Vita Gravy are Herb Roasted Chicken, Honey BBQ Beef, and Savory Sirloin. I may switch up the flavors so Mickey doesn't grow tired of the same taste with each meal. I have even gotten him to eat a small amount of dry food with the gravy on it, mixed well so he can't lick it off the top. This helps his teeth and gives him different vitamins and minerals than canned food.

So far, so good with Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese. It has been doing a good job enticing my picky little dog to eat more. I don't see major changes in his coat or skin but that is secondary to him staying healthy and at a good weight for his size.

Ingredients

Here are the ingredients in the Bacon and Cheese Gravy:

Ham Broth, Rice Flour, Safflower Oil, Natural Bacon Flavor, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein Honey, Flax Seed Oil, Carrots, Potato, Celery, Tomato Paste, Garlic, Mineral & Vitamin Premix: (A Palmitate, D3 Cholecalceferol, E Alpha Tocopherols Acetate, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamin HCL, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, B12 Cyanocobalamin), Lemon.

From the packaging

Buying Info

You can buy this gravy in pouches or in bottles. I prefer the pouches because they're easy to use, unbreakable, and easier to find at the pet store I go to. A pouch of any of the flavors of Vita Gravy costs between $5.00 and $6.50. You can get a discount if you buy a box of pouches at some pet stores. Vita Gravy is sold at pet supply stores offline as well as on the net. The prices look to be about the same on or offline.

There are also feline varieties of Vita Gravy. My vet said not to worry if my cats got into this gravy but to buy them the feline variety if I wanted to supplement their food. I haven't yet but may for my 12 year old cat if she starts to lose weight. So far, she's eating well.

Conclusion

Vita Gravy Skin & Coat Pouch Bacon & Cheese helped my dog to gain some much needed weight and it seems to have made him feel more energetic. I have yet to see a major difference in his skin or coat but, with the oils in the gravy, I think I will see improvement in the near future. A pouch is good for 22 meals so, for my small dog, the cost is not a major issue. I am using it daily now but will cut back soon to every other day or less if my dog maintains his weight.

I am glad to have this gravy to entice my dog to eat more and to make him feel better. I give it 4 stars. I would go with 5 and will if and when I see his coat is less dry and his skin less scaly. I definitely recommend this product to pet owners who have older, frail, or sickly dogs that need a little push to eat more. It works!

Friskies Gravy Sensations Pouch Favorites Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz pouch, case of 24; That lickable, lappable goodness that smothers tender bites of a v...

Shed Solution Skin And Coat Supplement Gravy Formula Adult Dogs Gallon

Shed Solution Skin And Coat Supplement Gravy Formula Adult Dogs Gallon

Shed Solution Skin Coat Supplement (formerly Shed-Stop for Dogs) helps normalize your dog's shedding. The veterinarian-recommended formula is packed w...
Valley Vet Supply

Friskies Gravy Sensations Seafood Favorites Cat Food Pouches Variety Pack

Friskies Gravy Sensations Seafood Favorites Cat Food Pouches Variety Pack

Friskies Gravy Sensations Seafood Favorites Cat Food Pouches Variety Pack is enough to start that tummy rumbling. With so much goodness--both deliciou...
Pet360.com

Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin & Coat Vegetarian Cuts in Gravy Adult Canned Dog FoodNature's Recipe Healthy Skin & Coat Vegetarian Cuts in Gravy Adult C...
Petco

Friskies - Gravy Sensations Variety Pack Cat Pouches, Cat

Friskies - Gravy Sensations Variety Pack Cat Pouches, Cat

Friskies gravy sensations pouch favorites, 6-flavor variety pack, 3-ounce pouches (pack of 24) That lickable, lappable goodness that smothers
PetFlow

Petco

Friskies Gravy Sensations Seafood Favorites Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz pouch, case of 12; That lickable, lappable goodness that smothers tender bites of a...

BioGroom Vita Oil Absorbable Coat Oil 16 fl oz

BioGroom Vita Oil Absorbable Coat Oil 16 fl oz

BioGroom Vita Oil Absorbable Coat Oil has been specifically developed by BioDerm Laboratories to fill the need for a special coat oil that gives maxim...
Entirely Pets

Friskies Gravy Sensations Poultry Favorites Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz pouch, case of 12; That lickable, lappable goodness that smothers tender bites of a...

Vita Hoof With Brush Quart - 15302