Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine)

Mosquitoes no more! Vitamin B 1 (Thiamine) to the rescue!

Oct 11, 2004

Pros:easy to take pill, may ward off mosquitoes

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: see the review

While at my husbands class reunion this spring I was asked to go on a walk with one of the alumni. We were going to walk through the woods and she suggested that I might want to take a Vitamin B-1 supplement. I couldn't for the life of me understand why she was suggesting that so I ask. She told me that her aunt was a naturalist and had taken Vitamin B-1 for years believing that it would ward off bug bites and particularly mosquitoes. So I agreed to take the supplement. She said that Vitamin B 1 causes you to secrete an odor (apparently only bugs can detect this odor) through your pores that bugs do not like, therefore, they don't get near you to bite.

I took the supplement in the morning and that afternoon we went for our walk so I don't think the supplement had time to work that quickly to keep me from being bit. But, I did not get bit by anything on that walk. No biting bugs out that day, I guess.

Upon our return home I decided to go and purchase a bottle of Vitamin B-1 and start taking it since we have a very large garden and I am forever getting bit by mosquitoes while working in the garden. I work in the garden about 3 hours or so every day.

I purchased a bottle of 100 tablets with a 250 mg. strength and began taking one every day. I have purchased subsequent bottles and have taken one every day since then. It may be a coincidence but I have had very few mosquito bites while working in the garden this year. I also make sure that hubby has one pill each day as well, since he worked out in the garden about the same length of time each day that I did and he too, did not experience as many mosquito bites as in past years. With the West Nile Virus being so bad I just want to take every precaution that I can against mosquito bites.

The recommended dosage is 1 tablet daily with a meal. The bottle says that 1 tablet has a daily value of 16,667%! Is that way high? The little bit of research that I did says that excess Vitamin B 1 is excreted through the urine. Of course, the research also said that we as humans, through our buying of supplements makes for some expensive urine!

Vitamin B 1 is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates to provide energy and for normal heart function. It is necessary for the maintenance of normal digestion, muscle contractions and nerve tissues.

Vitamin B 1 deficiency occurs in people whose diets consist mainly of polished or refined white rice. They are at a high risk because polishing removes almost all of the Vitamin B 1. Alcoholics, who often substitute alcohol for food are at high risk of developing a deficiency, as well.

Beriberi is a severe deficiency of Vitamin B 1. Dry beriberi causes nerve and muscle abnormalities. Wet beriberi causes heart abnormalities. Alcoholics primarily suffer brain abnormalities. All forms of deficiency are treated with Vitamin B 1 supplements.

On the bottle is a blurb that tells you that Vitamin B 1 is used for energy and metabolism. I have always had a pretty good supply of energy so don't know if they have helped me in that particular way or not. It also tells us that Vitamin B 1 helps utilize energy from food by promoting proper metabolism of carbohydrates.

Whether it is my imagination or they really do work to ward off mosquitoes I will gladly take my Vitamin B 1 pill every day to enjoy a bug free gardening experience.

Vitamin B-1 Thiamine 100 mg. - 100 Tablets

Vitamin B-1 Thiamine 100 mg. - 100 Tablets

Now Foods Vitamin B-1 Thiamine 100 mg - 100 Tablets Now Foods Vitamin B-1, also known as Thiamine, is an essential nutrient first classified in 1936 b...
Bariatric Advantage Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) - 90 Capsules

Bariatric Advantage Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) - 90 Capsules

100mg of Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) in easy to digest capsules makes adding additional thiamine to your diet a simple task.
Bariatric Choice
Rugby Vitamin B-1 50Mg Tablets Thiamine 100/Bottle - Model 00536467801

Rugby Vitamin B-1 50Mg Tablets Thiamine 100/Bottle - Model 00536467801

Rugby Vitamin B-1 50Mg Tablets Thiamine 100/Bottle - Model 00536467801. Manufacturer: Rugby - Model 00536467801. Category: otc/non-prescription drugs.
Ecological Formulas Vitamins - Allithiamine Vitamin B1 50 mg 60

Ecological Formulas Vitamins - Allithiamine Vitamin B1 50 mg 60

Allithiamine Vitamin B1 50 mg 60 Capsules. Thiamine also known as vitamin B1 transforms the proteins fats and carbohydrates from your diet into energ...
PureFormulas.com

21st Century Vitamin B-1 100 mg 110 Tabs

21st Century Vitamin B-1 100 mg 110 Tabs

Vitamin B-1 100 mg 110 Tabs - 21st Century's Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine HCL) plays a role in converting food into energy and helps maintain the nervous sys...
Swanson Health Products

Puritan's Pride Vitamin B-1 100 mg-100   Tablets

Puritan's Pride Vitamin B-1 100 mg-100 Tablets

(Thiamine Hydrochloride)Supports Energy Metabolism and Nervous System HealthSugar, Starch Preservative Free
Puritan's Pride®

Source Naturals - Benfotiamine Fat Soluble Vitamin B-1 150 mg. - 30 Tablets, Vitamin B For

Benfotiamine is a more bioavailable derivative of thiamine (Vitamin B-1). Unlike normal thiamine, benfotiamine is fat-soluble and more physiologically
LuckyVitamin.com

Solaray Vitamin B-1 100mg 100 Capsules

Solaray Vitamin B-1 100mg 100 Capsules

Vitamin B-1 100mg by Solaray 100 Capsule Vitamin B-1 or Thiamine plays an important role in human biochemistry by being transformed to a coenzyme that...
Twinlab Vitamins - B-1 Caps 100mg 100 Capsules

Twinlab Vitamins - B-1 Caps 100mg 100 Capsules

B-1 Caps 100mg 100 Capsules. B-1 Caps 100mg 100 Capsules from Twinlab may help in fat and protein breakdown and could also help in energy production ...
PureFormulas.com