VuPoint Magic Wand PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner Reviews

VuPoint Magic Wand PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner

Free Shipping Newegg.com

VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner

Jan 25, 2011

Pros:portable, convenient, works almost every where, good value, reliable.

Cons:na

The Bottom Line: A must have for protecting personal documents, birth and marriage certificates, and photos etc. A myriad of additional uses such as fabric and paint sampling also.

SCAN ON THE GO

I have a few very good scanners that have met my needs over the years and my last scanner was only a couple years ago. The scanners have aid me greatly a plethora text OCR, photos and the occasional fax or direct to printer scan. Regardless of how useful these scanners have been saving me a wealth of time they all required one interface in common. They required a computer to operate. This is not necessarily a problem in most instantances however occasions do arise when it is not optimal and sometimes problematic.

Although flatbed scanners are a fabulous convenience anyone with the least amount of experience with them knows scanning can be time consuming too. Short scans are those with a hand full of documents or photos to be digitized where the scanning speed is not an inconvenient issue but when you find yourself with a few hundred or thousands of photos time increases additively.

There is an alternative to flatbed scanners that will give one the freedom of portability, cuts the connection from a computer and scans reasonablely well. It is the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner about thirteen inches in length by one inch by approximately half an inch. It scans a regular 8.5” inch sheet of paper up to four feet in length.

WHY A PORTABLE SCANNER?

Over the years there has been a number of occasions I would like to have scanned something but didn’t because I was too lazy to boot up the computer, turn on the scanner and set it up for the actual scan or because the flatbed scanner did not accommodate itself in a practical way to perform a scan of any true quality. With the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner this is no longer an issue.

Since my fairly recent acquisition of the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner I have used it almost two hundred times. Yes you read it correctly – possiblely over two hundred times because when the number of times used grew to this soaring number I arrested counting.

MAGIC WAND

The VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner gives you the magical powers of Merlin with this magic wand. All scanning is automatically saved onto a microsdhc card. You scan at a low resolution of 300 dpi which is fine for most printers or photo developing machines or high resolution at 600 dpi. Digital image acquisitions can be either black and white or color scans directly from fabrics, framed photos – practically any flat surface item.
In the box you have

One VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner
One USB cable (in case you want to interface directly with a computer)
One 4GB microsdhc memory card and sdhc adapter for use with other sdhc reading devices.
One fabric with drawstring for carrying and storing the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner
One CDROM with drivers and software
One brief instruction folded sheet
Standard warranty

WHAT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF SCANS?

Have found the scan obtained with the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner to be very good and equivalent to any good flatbed scanner. The largest difference will be discovered when actually scanning. The speed difference is night and day.

USING THE PORTABLE SCANNER

Turning the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner on you depress the scan button, move the portable scanner at a steady pace, once reaching the end of your scan depress scan button again to end the scan and the information is saved directly to the micosdhc memory card. Provided the scan is good you will see on the LCD screen the corresponding number of each scan as it is completed. Should your scan speed be too fast or some error occurs it is displayed on the LCD screen. This information will permit you to rescan immediately.

Anyone can use this VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner out of the box without a great deal of effort. The instructions are ABC easy to understand. Battery life is very good, with a mix of scanning dimensions I scanned roughly two hundred things on two AA batteries before needing to replace them.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE

The VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner has provided me the opportunity to scan items I would have never got around to scanning or just neglected to scan because I felt it was inconvenient to me.

This tip is based solely on my personal experience of the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner.

To insure I received a quality scan that would permit me some photo editing opportunities I placed a value of a photo to me. Most scans are performed at 300dpi if they were 5”x7” or larger and 600dpi if smaller down to wallet size. The more importance the photo has to insure optimal reproduction and possible enlargement I used the later DPI. Also I discovered that for myself I was able to produce straighter scans when using a sheet of glass from a photo frame.

Since the wait time for scanning was reduced so drastically I scan each item at least twice sometimes more making my selection later on the computer as to which to keep and manipulate with photo editing software. When at home this is not as important to perform multiple scans but when away or having a rare opportunity it may be best to optimize your results.

One more note: whatever you are scanning -- remember -- that the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner scans the background too. It does not auto crop out the background be sure to use a dpi appropriate for cropping your photos without losing to much detail.

RECOMMEND

Yes I highly recommend buying the VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner should you desire to save your paper documents to aid against deterioration and preserving your family memories for future generations. The VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner generally sells for $100 or less and one of the most valuable purchases you will ever make.

The VuPoint PDS-ST410-VP Handheld Scanner is easy to use, long battery life, portable, and no computer required during scanning. A must have!

SIGNATURE

I like to close my reviews with a THANK YOU because I do appreciate you investing your precious time in reading my material. We live in a complex complicated world where time is at a premium. I do pray you found this review like my others informative and helpful in aiding your next purchasing decision. Your comments are always welcome and I make every attempt to reply to comments as time permits. Again THANK YOU for the opportunity to aid you in spending your hard earned money wisely.

I am not employed or receive any compensation by the manufacture or any organization promoting this product or additional hardware. I purchased or received as a gift my product like anyone else and just sharing my myriad thoughts and experience with you.

2011 Copyrighted by Gary Drury

Interface: USB

Dimensions 10 x 1.2 x 1.1 Weight 7.47 oz. (with batteries) Scanning Speed Standard resolution color 8 sec. / monochromatic 4 sec. Max. Document Size 8...
Newegg.com