WD 40 Company 10175 Cleaners & Disinfectants 40,PEN,NO MESS Reviews

WD 40 Company 10175 Cleaners & Disinfectants 40,PEN,NO MESS

The Squeaky Door Gets The Grease Pen: WD-40 No-Mess Pen

Dec 20, 2009 (Updated Dec 20, 2009)

Pros:Convenient; works well; low odor; doesn't dry out; "running low" indicator on pen; inexpensive

Cons:Doesn't reach into as many places as the WD-40 spray can

The Bottom Line: This little WD-40 pen is just the greatest! It's so convenient and is low-odor too.

I was raised on WD-40 - the multi-purpose lubricant, cleaner, scuff mark remover that just about everyone has in their home. No matter where we lived, there was a can of WD-40 in the basement or in the garage (or both). My grandparents were "big" on WD-40 as well. Anytime anything squeaked, any member of my family would say "Get the WD-40 and fix that!" So of course I now have WD-40 in our house as well. I use it pretty often. So when I was recently browsing through the automotive section of my local K-Mart, I found the WD-40 No-Mess Pen. I was actually excited about this, and picked it up as a small Christmas gift for a couple of family members.

Product Details:

The WD-40 No-Mess Pen is a 5" long "pen" that is used to lubricate just about anything when you are "on the go". It's like a tiny, portable can of WD-40 (without the long, red straw, though!)! The pen has a chisel tip that gets saturated with WD-40 lubricant. You then rub the chisel tip on whatever needs to be lubricated, or you rub the tip on the scuff marks or crayon marks (or whatever needs to be removed).

The pen is made from clear plastic that is painted blue, white and yellow. It has a red plastic cap that pulls off and snaps back on. The cap has a clip on the side in case you want to carry it in your pocket or hook it onto something.

There is .26 oz. of WD-40 in each pen.

The directions printed on the packaging state that before first use, the pen should be pointed downward with the tip pressed to release WD-40 as needed. For continuous flow of WD-40, the tip should be held down. The pen will not dry out, but if it is left uncapped, the tip should be held down again to re-saturate it.

My Experience:

The first thing I wanted to do in order to try out my WD-40 No-Mess Pen (and I couldn't wait to get home with this thing!) was to lubricate the hinges on our back door. The door squeaks and it gets on my nerves. This was the perfect opportunity for me to give it a try.

I uncapped the pen, pressed down the tip and could see that the WD-40 (which is a yellowy, ugly color, by the way) was starting to flow through the tip. I opened the back door and pressed the tip of the pen against the hinges. I wasn't sure how hard to press but I think I pressed too hard at first because WD-40 was starting to flow out. Leave it to me to make a mess out of a no-mess pen! I quickly learned that, once saturated, the pen only needs to be pressed down a bit in order to get a small amount of the WD-40 to flow out. In a lot of cases, you will need to just rub the tip on the thing you are trying to lubricate - but in the case of our door hinges, I needed the WD-40 to drip down a bit. I also felt like if I would have used the big can of WD-40 on this, I would have definitely had far too much applied to the hinges.

So applying the small amount of WD-40 from my No-Mess Pen worked great! The door hinges (all three of them) were now quiet. I was loving it. I thought about using it on my car door hinges (on the driver's side), but I think the bigger can of WD-40 will work better for that because it's a heavier duty hinge and I really need to spray it into the hinges quite heavily in order to get the hinges lubricated.

Since that first day when I lubricated the back door hinges, I have used my new WD-40 No-Mess Pen on the hinge on our toolbox and on the hinge on the basement door. I also applied it onto the padlock on the gate in our fenced-in backyard in order to prepare the padlock for winter. Every fall I spray it into the padlock to hopefully keep it from rusting. It's important to keep a good lock on that gate, as we have a lot of neighbors with kids and we don't want them getting into our backyard in case our dog is in the backyard unsupervised.

There is almost no odor when I apply this stuff to a surface. I have to get really close to it in order to smell it. This is unlike the big can of WD-40, which has a pretty strong odor. I like that this stuff isn't going to stink up my kitchen if I lubricate the back door hinges. One other really convenient thing about this pen is that it has a "running low" indicator on the side. There is a strip on the pen that wasn't painted so that the WD-40 inside the pen can be seen through the clear plastic. This allows you to see how much WD-40 is left in the pen.

I haven't yet used this pen to remove a heel mark, scuff mark or crayon mark from a surface. I assume it will be easy to remove these marks using the tip of the pen. I look forward to using it in that way, but the opportunity has not yet presented itself.

The folks at WD-40 recommend keeping the WD-40 No-Mess Pen in the car or carrying it with you. I would never keep it in the car because I wouldn't really have a use for it there. I wouldn't carry it in my purse because I'd be afraid of accidentally knocking the cap off and getting WD-40 spilled in my purse. But if I were a guy who had my own workshop in the basement or garage, I would keep this handy in case I needed it. I keep it handy because I like the low odor, the fact that it doesn't make a mess and the convenience.

Overall, the WD-40 No-Mess Pen is a pleasure to use and is so convenient. I absolutely love it and will always have one on hand. It was an absolute bargain, too, at just $1 at my local K-Mart! You can find it in the automotive section, or if you can't find it there, look where the regular WD-40 is located.

**In case you are interested, WD-40 stands for "water displacement, 40th attempt" and the ingredients are top secret.**

Price and Purchasing Information:

I'm not quite sure where the WD-40 No-Mess Pen can be found other than my local K-Mart, because that was the first store I have seen that carries it. I paid $1 for a single pen. Online, it can be found at Amazon.com currently for $3.82 for a pack of two. I see that Drugstore.com also has it, but the price is $9.99 for a pack of two, which seems high. I would check my local hardware or automotive store or mass merchant before I ordered it online.

Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant Canister Case

Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant Canister Case

Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant Canister CASE Proud To Be An Authorized Medline Dealer! DISINFECTANT,BLEACH,DISPATCH,CANISTER Dispatch Hospital...

Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant

Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant

MLN2706: Features: -Disinfectant with bleach. -EPA registered tuberculocidal, hypochlorite-based cleaner disinfectant. -Equivalent to the CDC's recomm...
Spic And Span(R) Cleaner - Disinfectant, 1 Gallon, Box Of 3

Spic And Span(R) Cleaner - Disinfectant, 1 Gallon, Box Of 3

Cleaner/disinfectant simplifies cleaning and saves time in one easy step. Heavy-duty power cuts through grease to clean all hard surfaces including no...
Office Depot

Cleaner/Disinfectant, 1:64, 1 gal., Net Weight 128 oz., Lemon, Container Jug

Cleaner/Disinfectant, 1:64, 1 gal., Net Weight 128 oz., Lemon, Container Jug

Cleaner and Disinfectant, Recommended Dilution 1:64, Size 1 gal., Net Weight 128 oz., Fragrance Lemon, Container Type Jug
Zoro

Mueller 230201 Whizzer Cleaner & Disinfectant

Mueller 230201 Whizzer Cleaner & Disinfectant

Whizzer® Cleaner & Disinfectant is an all-in-one cleaner, fungicide, mildewstat, virucide and deodorizer Powerful multipurpose concentrate kills HIV-1...
Anthem Sports

Dispatch Cleaner Disinfectant Spray Non Staining 32 Oz

Dispatch Cleaner Disinfectant Spray Non Staining 32 Oz

We Combine Shipping Search My Listings: Shipping |Feedback |About Us Dispatch Cleaner Disinfectant Spray Non Staining 32 Oz Code: 2725 Multipurpose, b...

Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner & Disinfectant, 32 fl oz

Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner & Disinfectant, 32 fl oz

Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner & Disinfectant is the tough task cleaner, degreaser and stain remover. Spray Nine digs out tough grease, grime and ot...

Cleaner/Disinfectant, 1:64, 5 gal., Net Weight 640 oz., Lemon, Container Pail

Cleaner/Disinfectant, 1:64, 5 gal., Net Weight 640 oz., Lemon, Container Pail

Cleaner and Disinfectant, Recommended Dilution 1:64, Size 5 gal., Net Weight 640 oz., Fragrance Lemon, Container Type Pail
Zoro

DISPATCH 1 Quart Pull-Top Bottle Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant with Bleach 68832

DISPATCH 68832 Features: -Hospital disinfectant and cleaner with bleach.-Ready-to-use cleaner disinfectant.-Cleans, disinfects and deodorizes environm...
Wayfair Supply