WORX 18 Cordless 120 MPH Blower/Sweeper, WG541 (Worx) (822465003637) Reviews

WORX 18 Cordless 120 MPH Blower/Sweeper, WG541 (Worx) (822465003637)

Does The Worx Air WG541 Cordless Leaf Blower Get The Job Done?

Mar 27, 2010

Pros:Powerful electric motor, strong blowing force, lightweight, anyone over 10 years of age can use.

Cons:Weak battery and the battery charger is even worse

The Bottom Line: WORX Air WG541 Cordless Blower is very powerful and light, but the charger restricts use to only once per day so get an extra Worx WA3152 NiCD battery upon purchase.

As part of my recent conversion to an all electric, yard tool garage at my home, I purchased the Worx Air WG541 Blower last year.  The rechargeable blower cost me $95 at Amazon.com so I was expecting to get a good product that would serve all of my yard cleaning needs and last a long time.  The WORX 18 Cordless blower did satisfy one my needs to full satisfaction but left me disappointed in the other.

What impressed me most with my WG541 electric blower?

What about the Worx cordless blower left this experienced electrician disappointed?

Read On To Find Out!

Shipping
We are all afraid of ordering big ticket items online because of shipping problems or horror stories that our friends have told us.  Amazon.com is my trusted merchant for big ticket items because their Prime program sends me packages 2nd day for free.  Two days after ordering my Worx WG541, it appeared on my front porch in a large, well built box with the product box itself inside.

What Is In The Box?
Inside the 20” long x 8.5” deep x 8.5” wide box, you will find the blower, the 18V battery pack, battery charger, a good multilanguage instruction manual and a wall mounting bracket.  The wall mounting bracket is made out of thick black plastic and has four mounting holes around its square base.  I quickly installed my mounting bracket on the garage wall because the blower itself does not sit well on a workbench due to its rounded, efficient design.

How Well Does The Cordless Electric Leaf Blower Work?
Once you snap the battery pack into place, all that remains is pushing the slide switch to turn the blower on.  The Worx blower springs to life and puts out a strong gust of wind.  You will not need to pull a cord or pour gasoline into this tool that only needs the press of a button to effortlessly start.  Young or old, the cordless blower is easy to handle because of its compact design.

I have used this blower on a variety of projects as well.  One task it excels at is cleaning out the dirt and debris in sidewalk or driveway cracks.  Anything inside the crack will fly out to reveal the bare spacing or joints inside.  In fact, I was even able to force water that had collected from a partially filled rubber filler compound that I applied.  The water was streaming out of the crevices in the still drying sidewalk crack compound and helped me cure it even faster.  Yes, this blower can do the job it just only provides the strong jet of air for about 9 minutes.

Operating Times
The following are the actual results from using this blower over a several day period.  I had about the same results during the fall of 2009 as well but did not record all of these parameters at the time.  The only firm conclusion I have been able to draw is that the battery needs to be fully drained to get consistent operation times.  I used a P3 International Kill A Watt P4400 power consumption meter to measure the Kwh.  Since the battery has such a low capacity, you are going to use less than a penny of power upon every recharge!

3/17/2010 ~ 69 degrees Fahrenheit ~ Continuous Use Ran For 14 minutes with only 8 minutes of strong force ~ Charging Time 1 hour 25 minutes ~ Consumed 0.01 Kwh

3/18/2010 ~ 70 degrees Fahrenheit ~ Continuous Use Ran For 12 minutes with 9 minutes of strong force ~ Charging Time 1 hour 35 minutes ~ Consumed 0.01 Kwh

3/23/2010 ~ 75 degrees Fahrenheit ~ Continuous Use Ran For 13 minutes with 8 minutes of strong force ~ Charging Time 1 hour 32 minutes ~ Consumed 0.01 Kwh

Charging The Ni-CD 18VDC 1.7Ahr Battery
The Worx C1817A005 battery charger that came with this cordless blower is transformer based so it consumes power constantly when plugged in.  Worse, when you empty the battery, the charger will not let you immediately begin charging.  You have to wait until the 1.7Ah Ni-CD battery cools down to room temperature.  The cooling down process can take as long as four hours on a hot day so I have rarely been able to use my blower twice in one day.  The box says that the charger requires just one hour to recharge, but if you look at the actual results of my testing, the charger takes at least one hour and 25 minutes.  Of course the solution to all of this hassle is to just buy another battery.  I do not want to do this because it will cost me $40 and only extend my usage time by 14 minutes.  Since the charger does not have a grounding plug, I highly recommend plugging it in with an APC Personal Surge Arrest (P1T) Surge Suppressor to protect it from any damage in your home.

Technical Specifications
Rated Voltage:  18VDC
Blower Speed Rating:  120mph
Battery Charger:  Worx C1817A005
Battery:  Worx WA3152 NiCD, 18Vdc 1.7Ah

Summary
The Work Air WG541 Cordless Blower is very powerful and light.  However, only realistically being able to use this blower once a day for a brief period of time due to its weak battery and poor battery charger, has drastically reduced its usefulness to me.  If you have the cash, then just buy another battery with charger and you can have a power tool that will supplement any yard cleaning job.  Of course, my strong feelings of environmentalism compel me to keep using this product and even spend more money upgrading it than I should.  My search for a stronger NiMH or Lithium Ion battery is ongoing but the costs are incredibly high.  I am what the large multi-national corporations want me to be, a consumer.  We environmentalists have to pay dearly to use these devices and suffer the effects of poor performance because The Man is monopolizing the energy sources that can make these tools really work.

In the end, my rating of this product is favored by my own personal convictions.  I feel that if you actually spend $100 on something like this then you have the same desires too.  As a result, you will enjoy using this cordless blower because you no longer have to yank a cord and pour gas into a noisy, hard to handle gasoline engine.

In all I would give the Worx Air WB541 Cordless Electric Blower one thumb up and one thumb down.

If you wish to go with an environmentally friendly, power tool yard this year, consider these products as well:
Black & Decker CMM1200 19" 24 Volt Cordless Mulching Mower
Yardstick Ys24 24v Cordless Electric 10" Trimmer

Worx 20-Volt Max Cordless Sweeper/Blower Multicolor - WG545

Shop for Leaf Blowers from Hayneedle.com! Easily clean your lawn, driveway, patio, walkway, and more with the Worx 20-Volt Max Cordless Sweeper/Blower...
Hayneedle

Hayneedle

Worx Leaf Blower. 120 mph 80 CFM 20-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Electric Sweeper/Leaf Blower with Air Accessories

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. The WORXAIR is a multi-purpose blower and sweeper with convenient attachments to create a clean zo...
Home Depot

WORX 14 Cordless Electric-Powered Push Lawn Mower with IntelliCut

WORX 14 Cordless Electric-Powered Push Lawn Mower with IntelliCut

This WORX 14 Cordless Electric-Powered Push Lawn Mower cuts up to 10,000 square feet in a single charge. The WORX Electric Lawn Mower with IntelliCut ...

Worx WORX 14 Push Lawn Mower Cordless 24v w/ IntelliCut - WG782

WORX 14 Push Lawn Mower Cordless 24v w/ IntelliCut WORX 14 Push Lawn Mower Cordless 24v w/ IntelliCut
Generator Factory Outlet

Worx 32v Trimmer & Blower/sweeper Combo W/extra Battery, Obo,

Worx 32v Trimmer & Blower/sweeper Combo W/extra Battery, Obo,

WORX 32v Trimmer Blower/Sweeper combo w/Extra Battery, OBO, NEW The cordless WORX 32-volt MAX lithium powered grass trimmer provides longer run times ...

Worx Cordless Lawn Mower with IntelliCut - 19in. Mowing Path, 36 Volt

Worx Cordless Lawn Mower with IntelliCut - 19in. Mowing Path, 36 Volt

While the idea of a cordless electric mower might have appealed to you, finding one that can handle larger lawns has always been an issue. Until now, ...
Kotula's

Worx WORX 14 Push Lawn Mower Cordless 24v w/ IntelliCut - WG782

Patented IntelliCut technology ensures that torque is there when you need it. No more bogging down in tough conditions when mowing tall grass or mulch...

Newegg.com