Walt Disney World's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Reviews

Walt Disney World's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Review of the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Walt Disney World

Oct 5, 2009

Pros:a little girls dream!

Cons:a bit pricey!

The Bottom Line: Dreams come true at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Any little girl who dreams of being a princess will love a trip to Walt Disney World's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.  My lucky princess has enjoyed this luxury now twice and is already asking for a trip back.

The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is located at Walt Disney World and has 2 locations. One location is in the World of Disney store in Downtown Disney which is open to the public and the other is located inside of Cinderella's castle in the Magic Kingdom (requiring park entry). The service and experience at both locations is similar with a few minor differences, and we've done both.

A trip to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique must be reserved well in advance via the Disney reservation line. It can be booked as far as 90 days in advance, and the castle location is harder to get into than Downtown disney. Many girls like to dress up as their favorite princess before dining at one of the princess character meals such as Cinderella's Royal Table (also in the castle),  Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus in Epcot: Norway, or 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian Resort.   You will also see girls who have enjoyed the boutique throughout the disney parks and recognize their glittery hairstyles and satin boutique sashes.

When you book your appointment for the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (call (407) WDW-STYLE) you need to state which of the 3 packages that you've selected and provide a credit card to hold the appointment. They do not charge the credit card unless you fail to cancel and do not show up for the appointment.  Depending on which package you book you will be at the boutique anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes from start to finish.

The nitty gritty
The packages are as follows (prices subject to change):
Coach - $49.95 includes hair and makeup

Crown - $54.95 includes hair, makeup and nails

Castle - $189.95 includes hair, makeup, nails, a deluxe princess gown and accessories, plus a photo package (1 6X8 and 4 4X6 pictures in a folio)  The photo package can be added on separately to any of the other packages for $29.95

There is also a boys "cool dudes" package which includes colored hair gel for under $10 but the boutique is largely for little girls and boys will probably prefer to get the same colored hair gel and mickey confetti treatment at the Barber Shop on Main Street  in the Magic Kingdom or opt for one of the new Pirates League makeovers in Adventureland, also at the Magic Kingdom.

At the Boutique, girls will get to choose from 3 different hair styles and "looks" or go for a "Secret Star" Hannah Montana makeover (this experience is only at the Downtown Disney location).

The Bibbibi Bobbidi Boutique Experience
My daughter has done this twice and both times we have brought along our own princess gown and accessories and then opted for the middle "Crown" package.  If you do not have your own gown with you and need to buy one at Disney then you'll be stuck paying the higher Castle package price, anyways.

Bringing your own dress?
If you are going to Downtown Disney and bringing a gown with you, they will ask for your child to be wearing the gown before they get to the boutique. There is no changing area there so you will need to do this in restrooms or before you get to the store.

If you are going to the Magic Kingdom location then you can bring the dress with you and your child can change into it in a special dressing room area in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

The boutique is staffed by Fairy Godmothers in training who are wearing dresses with aprons.  The color scheme at the castle location is Blue and at the Downtown Disney it is a purple-ish color.

What happens once you are in there?
Upon checking in at the podium about 15 minutes before your scheduled time they will mark that Princess SoandSo is there and make up a special princess button for your daughter attached to a pink satin Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique sash. If it is her birthday, then they'll pin the button to a special Birthday Princess sash. They will also print out your child's name with Princess in front of it on a sticker and affix it to a Brochure/menu of services "her Royal Invitation".

Both locations are staffed with many photopass photographers and they will scan your photopass and take lots of pictures of your daughter before, during and after the princess transformation process.  They'll start a new photopass for you should you not have one. So, even if you don't order the photo package with the prints of the photos they will be on your photopass account and you can order them afterwards.

Once my daughter was dressed and in her chair (which had a booster in it because she is tiny) her Fairy Godmother in Training put a smock over her to protect her gown and started chatting away.  Moms get to sit nearby on padded bench seating that goes all the way around the center of the boutique and allows you to shoot your own photos while your little girl gets primped.  The princess transformation is done with your child facing outward (and towards you) so they can't see what is happening to them in the mirror.

Usually 2 of the Fairy Godmothers in Training to team up to get the makeover done. One will do the hair while the other works on makeup and nails.

Your daughter will be shown a picture brochure that shows the 3 different "looks" that they get to pick from.  The choice is put in your child's hands though my daughter and I had looked at it together and she talked to me about what she wanted. The styles do go from mild to wild!

Fairytale Princess - this is an updo "bun" with a gemed tiara and held in place with a mickey gem clip in the back

Disney Diva - this is an updo with an added long hairpiece that comes in blonde with blue streaks, brunette, red, or pink. Your child can pick a haircolor that matches their own or one that matches their favorite princess (Cinderella blonde, Belle brunette, Ariel Red, or Sleeping Beauty Pink). The style includes 2 bejeweled bobby pins and the hairpiece.

Pop Princess - this one is pretty wild and is an updo with a spiky hair piece - there is one that is rainbow colored complete with rainbow colored braids. It also includes mickey mouse shaped hairclips. I believe you can also get this in blonde/red/or brunette as well though mostly I've seen it with the wild colors.

My daughter has chosen the Fairytale Princess look and also the Disney Diva look (complete with pink extensions - her choice) on the two occasions she has gone.  She picked the more traditional 'fairytale' look to go with her Cinderella makeover and the longer hair Diva style with pink fall when she was dressed as Princess Aurora (sleeping beauty). Because all of the hairstyles are up-dos you will need to make sure their hair is clean and able to be brushed through without snarls or tangles. My daughter has very curly hair so I was sure to do lots of conditioner before hand and detangler. The FGITs at the boutique use a fine toothed comb (a new comb per child that they keep) and also recommend for you to bring a brush for harder to tame hair.  Be prepared for them to "tease" your child's hair and use a lot of gel (and glitter).

They start a brand new 'kiddie' makeup pallette for each child and let your child pick the colors for their eye shadow and lip gloss. The colors are pink, purple, blue, silvery clear, and a light blush. The makeup kit which has its own applicator included also goes home with your child.  Your little girl will get to pick from a sheet of face jewels which design she would like stuck on her cheek. The rest of the sheet (there are 6 or so designs) goes home with her.

If you are getting a package with nails then they will let your child pick between pink or pale blue glittery nail polish. Your child must have no nailpolish on their nails when they enter the boutique. Also, this is just fingernails - not toe nails. The two bottles of nailpolish are yours to keep afterwards.

Before the makeover is complete the Fairy Godmother in Training will have your daughter hold a plastic face shield in front of their face and then do a little "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" ceremony over their head while they sprinkle fairy dust (glitter) over their heads. When it is all done, they remove the smock, put the Bibbidi Boutique sash on, and turn your child around for the big reveal when they can see themselves in the mirror.

The look on my daughter's face when this happens is priceless. I freely admit that both times I got teary at this point!

At the Downtown Disney location they had my daughter enter her first name into a Spa Ledger. She didn't do this at the Magic Kingdom, but that isn't to say that they don't do this. My daughter is tiny and they may have thought she didn't know how to write her first name. You must be at least 3 years old and able to cooperate and sit in the spa chair in order to do this, you be the judge if your little girl is ready or not.  My daughter did this for her 4th birthday and again last month (4 1/2 yrs old).

If you are getting the photo package then you will be directed to take your photopass to an alternate photo location for glamour shots set on a pretty white leather chaise as well as other poses.  I did this at Downtown Disney but not at the Magic Kingdom.  At the magic kingdom we were headed to dine with the princesses at Cinderella's Royal Table after our appointment and it was very hot (above 90 degree) weather so as soon as the meal was done my daughter changed out of her gown (but kept the hair).  Even if you aren't getting the photo package you can go get the pictures taken and added to your photopass for ordering later (or getting the PhotoCD).

Overall Experience
In a word, magical.  My daughter and I had so much fun both times she went to the Bibbidi Boutique. The first time was for her birthday and it was a whole new experience to her. I wasn't sure how she'd do but she was in her element, completely. When we were planning a family trip back to Disney she asked me if she could go to the Bibbidi Boutique again - of course I had to say yes! Yes, this is an expensive "luxury" but I figure while we are at Disney we need to live up the magic while we can. I know that when she gets older she may not want to do this again and so while she does want to do the girly girl princess stuff I'm indulging it.  I highly recommend bringing your own gown from home as well as comfortable shoes for your child to wear under the gown. Yes, we did bring fancy pretty shoes for the picture/and princess meal so she could be "head to toe" but for walking around - the shoes have to go.  Also, consider the time of year when planning. I was so glad to have an extra change of clothes for my daughter to put on so she could get out of the hot/itchy/costume dress for our time in the park.

When the day is done your daughter will have a great memory, you'll have your photos you took (and any photopass pictures should you order them/CD), plus your daughter gets a pretty pink bag that has some stickers, her makeup, 2 nailpolishes, the hair accessories that go with your style, and a sheet of face gems, as well as the sash and her personalized invitation.  Given that the experience takes close to an hour and your child gets all these "take-aways" I actually don't think the price is extraordinary. In fact, I believe it is so incredibly worth it.

If your little girl loves princesses and dreams of becoming one - the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is the place to take them at Walt Disney World.

Best Suited For: Families