Wardley Chlor Out

Too Impatient to Age Your Aquarium Water?

May 4, 2004 (Updated May 4, 2004)

Pros:Instantly ages water, makes water changes an easier job, bottle lasts forever!

Cons:None!

The Bottom Line: A wonderful product that instantly ages water thus making cleaning your aquarium an easier task.

Back in high school, I had a boyfriend who was into aquariums. He had a huge 55 gallon hexagonal tank at home that had a lot of beautiful fish in it and he showed me how to set up and care for an aquarium. Later on that year, he gave me an aquarium of my own for my birthday and I've been hooked ever since then. One of the products I use every week is Wardley Chlor Out.

About Wardley Chlor Out

When you first set up an aquarium you are suppose to age your water before adding any fish to it. You do this for several reasons. One of them is that you shouldn't use warm or hot tap water because of the iron that can be inside your pipes. Another is that, while you need to use cold tap water, most city water departments add chlorine to city water to kill bacteria. By filling your tank with cold tap water and letting it sit for 2 to 3 days before adding your fish, you accomplish two things. First you give your tank's heater a chance to warm up that cold tap water and you also give the water a chance to cycle through the filter several times and remove that chlorine. Any salesperson who knows anything about aquariums will tell you this when you first go to a pet store to buy your aquarium. Unfortunately, most places don't properly train their employees and you are most likely to end up with someone who doesn't give any knowledgeable advice when it comes to caring for your aquarium. This is where Wardley Chlor Out steps in.

What Wardley Chlor Out does is instantly ages your water. By using this, not only can you use warm tap water to fill your aquarium with so that the water temperature is where it should be, but you can also add your fish right away once your tank is filled with water and ready to go.

Using Wardley Chlor Out couldn't be easier. Simply add 5 drops for every gallon of water in your tank and there you are, you're ready to add your fish as long as the rest of the aquarium is all set up. No more waiting 2 to 3 days to add the fish!

Wardley Chlor Out comes in a 4 ounce bottle (at least that is all I can find in my local stores) and can be used in both fresh and saltwater aquariums. I've had this bottle for over 2 years and it's still more than half full! I'll probably be using this bottle for another 2 years if not more. The spout of the bottle is designed so that the Chlor Out only comes out one drop at a time. That way there is no risk of using more than you need and there is no fear of spilling it should the bottle get accidently knocked over. According to the bottle, there is enough Wardley Chlor Out to treat 679 gallons of water.

Why I Recommend Wardley Chlor Out

Have you ever had someone buy you an aquarium and they've also bought the fish at the same time? I have, twice! When that happens, you don't have time to let your water age for 2 to 3 days because by then, your fish will have died in their plastic pet store bags. It's this kind of situation where Wardley Chlor Out has saved the day.

Also, once a week you're suppose to change part of your aquarium water. I change 50% because right now I have a fish who needs to be an "only fish". He won't tolerate any other fish in the tank with him and that includes any type of algae eaters. Without an algae eater in there, we tend to run into algae problems if I don't change at least half of his water once a week. Anyways, regarldess of how much water you may need to change, the fact is that it should be done once a week. Again, Wardley Chlor Out makes this task easy. I use an empty gallon milk jug that I've cleaned out. I fill it up with luke warm tap water, add 5 drops of Chlor Out and slowly add that water to Big Guy's tank. I do this until all the water I've taken out has been replaced. (And yes, we named our fish. He's a very large fish who has a bad temper but he's been with us for over 8 years and we tend to excuse his bad behavior because he's old for a fish.)

All in all, Wardley Chlor Out has made weekly maintenance on Big Guy's tank so much easier. No longer do I have to let jugs of water age before I can change a few gallons of water. His once a year total tank cleaning is also a breeze because I don't need for him to live in a separate tank for a few days (after aging the water in that tank) just so the water in his cleaned out tank can age. Do you see how much of a pain all that could be? It would make keeping an aquarium too much of a hassle for me, that's for sure! I highly recommend Wardley Chlor Out to anyone who has an aquarium or for anyone who is thinking about getting one.

Aquarium Hints and Tips

Here are just a few hints and tips that I've learned over the years. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to aquariums but I have learned a few things that make keeping an aquarium easier.

- Always wash your hands and arms (and rinse them off very well) before putting your hands into your aquarium. Fish are sensitive and can't handle lotions, perfumes, soaps, etc.....

- Don't keep your aquarium light on 24 hours a day. Fish have cycles, like people do and they need a certain amount of darkness each day. Also, having a light on at all times will help hasten the growth of algae.

- If you've never had an aquarium before but are thinking about getting one, please read everything you can on the subject. An aquarium can be a wonderful and beautiful addition to your home but it can be a lot of work. The more knowledgeable you are, the better and easier the experience.

- If you can, put an algae eater into your tank. The most common one that people have are Plecos and trust me, they do a great job in controlling algae growth! Unfortunately, I can't have one at the moment and algae is something I try to stay one step ahead.

- Make sure you have a good mix of fish in your tank. If you have both top and bottom feeders, you'll find that you won't need to vacuum the gravel very much.

- Try to keep a battery powered pump on hand. We had an ice storm last year that knocked out our power for almost 3 days. Big Guy may have had enough oxygen in his water to last those 3 days but I wasn't taking any chances and I hooked up his battery powered pump. That was one less thing I had to worry about with all that was going on. Everyone has storms of some kind that knock out their power or the National Grid could fail again, you just never know. Better be safe than sorry!

I could keep going on with the hints and tips if I had time but I think I listed enough to hopefully help any beginners out there. Having an aquarium is a wonderful thing and can be very educational for children as well. Buying products, like Wardley Chlor Out, that makes keeping an aquarium an easier task will make it that much more enjoyable for everyone!

Lo-chlor Phosphate Plus 4 In 1 - 1.05 Qt Removes Phosphates Swimming Pool & More

LO-CHLOR PHOSPHATE PLUS 4 IN 1 Phosphate Removal The ultimate solution to phosphate removal and prevention. SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR CARTRIDGE FILTER...

Lo-Chlor Duck Off 1.05gal. ATD805

Lo-Chlor Duck Off 1.05gal. ATD805

Lo-Chlor Duck Off 1.05gal. ATD805 Specialty desighned to repel ducks from swimming pools.Properties
4 Pack- Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide Chemical Treatment For Pools-1 Quart

4 Pack- Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide Chemical Treatment For Pools-1 Quart

Another NEW product for the PoolSupplies lineup Lo Chlor Algaecide For Swimming Pools- 1 Quart (4 Pack)Questions? 1-800-356-2949 ext 301 (when you cal...

Doheny's Pool Lo-Chlor Leak Sealer (1 Qt)

Doheny's Pool Lo-Chlor Leak Sealer (1 Qt)

Not for use in vinyl liner pools.Seals minor leaks in most swimming pools & spas.

Lo-chlor Metal Gone Swimming Pool Chemical Prevents Stains- 1 Quart

Lo-chlor Metal Gone Swimming Pool Chemical Prevents Stains- 1 Quart

Another NEW product for the PoolSupplies lineup Lo Chlor Metal Gone Swimming Pool Chemical- 1 Quart Bottle Questions? 1-800-356-2949 ext 301 (when you...

Lo-chlor Sunscreen Tabs 2.2 Lbs Tub Swimming Pool

Lo-chlor Sunscreen Tabs 2.2 Lbs Tub Swimming Pool

Lo-Chlor Sunscreen Tabs 2.2 Lbs Tub Swimming Pool New Item We Ship Via USPS Priority We Accept Paypal

12 Pack- Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide Chemical Treatment For Pools-1 Quart

12 Pack- Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide Chemical Treatment For Pools-1 Quart

Another NEW product for the PoolSupplies lineup Lo Chlor Algaecide For Swimming Pools- 1 Quart (12 Pack)Questions? 1-800-356-2949 ext 301 (when you ca...

Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Multi-stain Remover Preventer-2 Lb Bottle

Lo-chlor Swimming Pool Multi-stain Remover Preventer-2 Lb Bottle

Another NEW product for the PoolSupplies lineup Lo Chlor Multi-Stain Swimming Pool Remover- 2 lb Bottle Questions? 1-800-356-2949 ext 301 (when you ca...

Lo_chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide -kills And Prevents All Types Of Algae Lpa003

Lo_chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide -kills And Prevents All Types Of Algae Lpa003

Lo_Chlor Swimming Pool Algaecide Kills and prevents all types of algae Lasts 90 days/only 4 treatments per year Guaranteed non-staining formula Money-...