Waring Pro JEX 328 400 Watts Juicer Reviews

KaTom Restaurant Supply

a good first juicer

Dec 7, 2007
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:small footprint, cheap

Cons:clean up difficult, thick pulpy juice, wet pulp, small chute

The Bottom Line: Good entry level juicer, if you don't mind the clean up, and small chute. Small size, good power, but not the best juicer out there by a longshot

I purchased this juicer off ebay for $5 and $9 shipping, so for the fourteen bucks, I shouldn't really complain. I bought it to take back to grad school with me so I can leave my other juicers, too bulky and big for a dorm, with my hubby.

For the record, I also own a champion juicer that's been in my family for 30 years and is still kicking as strong as the day we brought it home, and a Breville 800 that is like nothing I've ever seen!

For starters, Powerwise, there's nothing to complain here, it's got plenty to spare. The problem lies in the design of the interior which utilizes a short, small filter basket. Were the basket to have been even 1/2" taller, it would produce much dryer pulp, and less pulpy juice. This isn't in itself a problem for me since I use the pulp to make muffins and pound cakes, so a wetter pulp just means less moisture I need to add to the batter, and I don't mind a thicker juice with more pulp in it--but I have read reviews where people complain of this, so I thought I'd mention it. It produces carrot juice that's thick like a runny milkshake.

Today I juiced four small carrots, an apple and a pear. I got back about 12-16 ounces of thick juice, and a very wet pulp. To compare it to the Breville, which is like a jet engine attached to a juicer, I would have gotten back over 20 ounces, enough for my hubby and me to both have juice, and pulp that looked like orange sawdust. Like I said, this isn't a deal breaker for me, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Cleaning up was a bit of a mess. Even my champion juicer is easier to clean. The interior is plastic (which is probably the biggest issue for me since I don't drink or eat out of plastic) Only the outside is clad in stainless, and the recepticle cup is stainless steel, but the interior of the machine is all plastic and the base is weighted with cast aluminum.

The design is probably based on the old waring juicer, or the omega which use centripetal force to extract the juice outward from the spinning filter. The problem is that after the filter basket is removed, there are still high plastic sides that make it hard to get in and clean the machine. I have small hands, but I still found it hard to get in there and really clean. There are a few crevices which gather up the pulp and since the canister can't be immersed, I'm wondering how to best get this stuff out--must be a small brush or something and then a sink with a sprayer, holding the machine parallell to the horizon in order to not get the motor wet? I dunno yet.

The feed chute is very small (compaired to the breville, which lets me juice whole apples) and if you add the knife and cutting board to the list of things you have to wash, your sink is now full.

Again, the Champion and the Breville have spoiled me for this.

In all, this would be a fine juicer for someone who can't spend more than $20, needs a small footprint on the counter, and is not going to drink much juice at one time: College students and small apartment dwellers.

Waring Pro JEX328 Health Juice Extractor PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Fresh juice is an important part of a healthy diet. This Waring juice extractor lets you ...

Professional Juice Extractor converts fruits and vegetables into pulp-free juice. High performance motor, extra wide 3 feed tube, brushed stainless st...
KaTom Restaurant Supply
Blue Marble Description About Us Shipping Contact Waring Pro JEX328 Health Juice Extractor Description: Features Juicer provides healthful way to eat ...
NEW Waring 400W Stainless Steel Pro Health Juicer Extractor Easy Clean Item Condition Brand new, factory sealed Product Features Juicer provides healt...