Water Pik Model DSL 653

waterpik - not just for teeth.

Oct 13, 2009 (Updated Oct 16, 2009)

Pros:Nice style and easy to install.

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: If you have a fixed showerhead changing is beneficial.

Recently I decided to paint my main bathroom.  This meant a thorough cleaning all around the room.  When I looked at the showerhead, it really needed a desperate change.  I had a fixed mount showerhead that could be moved forward, backward to the sides but I could not hold it.  It served its purpose for many years and desperately needed to be replaced and updated.  I have used the handheld recently while away and my mom used it for a long time for safety reasons.  I was not sure if a new showerhead could be installed easily and never thought of replacing it until someone told me it was easy.   I've always believed "IIWDFI".

While at Lowe's, I checked out the showerhead and thought, "Wow, there are too many choices".  So my next step was to narrow down the choices with my preferences.  There were many brands but I thought I was going to purchase a brand I was familiar with such as Moen, Peerless or Kohler since I knew these brands were popular in plumbing products.  The waterpik brand appealed to me but I was not sure if this was a right choice.  There were several on display and I chose this DSL-653 model for $36.95 because of several things I was comparing it with.  I tried to choose one not very expensive but also not the cheapest with some features I would like.

~ Twin Turbo Features & Modes ~

Concentrated Center Powerspray
Twin Massage
Twin Massage / Power Spray

~ My experience ~
I waited for someone to come over and it was installed within minutes!  I was amazed at how easy it was.  You just turn the existing showerhead off like a bottle cap and insert the new one in.  Since my old one was there for a long time, we used the pliers to help with the removal and when the new one went it, it leaked at first but when giving it one round of tightening, it stopped the leak.  It's safer to adjust slowly rather than overtighten things I've learned through experience.  They do recommend tightening only by hand and no tools are needed.  Some new showerheads require pipe tape but not with this one.

After using this product for several weeks, I am happy and glad I didn't choose a simpler one with fewer spray modes.  I really can feel the twin turbo when changing settings.  I have power from the dual vortex design where and when I need it.  It's amazing how I can save 30% water with the OptiFLo technology making it seem like you have a greater water pressure.  The pulsating heads are invigorating and refreshing.  I have the convenience to choose a setting to refresh, relax or just enjoy the shower with the normal spray.

Another great feature is that now I can clean my shower doors and all around the shower by using the 5' hose.  Why did I live without this for so many years?  Rinsing children or pets would have been so much easier using a handheld showerhead.  Having so many spray modes is also a convenience.  You can decide where to use each and how to your satisfaction.

The handheld head rests on a bracket. It is easy to remove by lifting it up and placing back.  Some showerheads do not have the resting bracket.  I like the style.  It is not metal so it's light and easy to maneuver.

This is a chrome product and not sure how long it will last with much use but waterpik has been in business for a long time I trust they would back up their warranty if anything fails.

IIWDFI - which is "If it works don't fix it".  I think if you have to work hard at cleaning your showerhead and you want to update it to make life easier, go for it.  It's inexpensive and you will be glad you did.

This may not be the best showerhead in the market but I am happy with my choice and am enjoying the turbo power with this model.

Water Pik Medallion Twin Turbo DSL-623 6-spray Shower Head Multicolor - 579255

Shop for Shower Hardware from Hayneedle.com! Get an all-over clean and a deep-tissue massage with the ultra-modern Water Pik Medallion Twin Turbo DSL-...

Teledyne Water Pik Shower Filter Model Sf-1

Teledyne Water Pik Shower Filter Model Sf-1

For Sale is a new teledyne water pik shower filter Model #SF-1 As item is new unopened no returns.Posted with eBay Mobile

Water Pik Ultra Pik Pocket Replacement Tips

Water Pik Ultra Pik Pocket Replacement Tips

Product Details This Pik Pocket Tip can reach up to 90% of the depth of a 6mm pocket. It is a special soft rubber tip which gently delivers therapeuti...
Water Pik Ecoflow Fixed Mount Shower Head

Water Pik Ecoflow Fixed Mount Shower Head

This shower head features several spray settings for multiple shower preferences. The eco-friendly technology reduces wasteful water consumption.
Overstock.com

Water Pik Medallion LAT-569 5-Spray Hand Shower Multicolor - 463275

Water Pik Medallion LAT-569 5-Spray Hand Shower Multicolor - 463275

Shop for Shower Hardware from Hayneedle.com! The PowerSpray+ EasySelect Water Pik Medallion LAT-569 5-Spray Hand Shower makes it easier than ever to s...