Weather Channel WS-9014U Wireless Weather Thermometer

Wireless Weather Thermometer- How Hot Is It?

Sep 4, 2004

Pros:Easy to read temperatures from 2 locations on one device.

Cons:You have to read the manual to set the units up.

The Bottom Line: This is a fun gift for the amateur weather person in all of us.

The Weather Channel’s Wireless Weather Thermometer

While browsing through many forms of media for suggestions for presents for me, I came across an inexpensive indoor/outdoor temperature gauge. I put this one on my list, and a few weeks later, I was surprised with a Weather Channel Wireless Weather Thermometer.

What is it?

The Wireless Weather Thermometer is 2 lightweight pieces of plastic and circuits that can read temperatures in 2 different locations, as long as the distance is less than 80 feet. Windows, and walls will subtract from that 80 feet by 20 to 30 feet per obstacle.

The remote temperature sensor is placed in a location at least 5 feet away from the indoor temperature station. On the indoor temperature station you can read the time, the temperature of the location of the indoor temperature station, and the current temperature of the remote sensor.

But wait! There’s more! Additional remote sensors can be purchased, including probes so that you can read pool or hot tub temperatures from the comfort of inside your home. The Wireless Weather Thermometer allows up to 3 remote sensors to be read from your indoor temperature station.

How do you get it to work?

Unlike most electronic gizmos we purchase, this wireless weather station is tricky; you can’t set it up intuitively like you can a new clock radio. A computer geek on hand will help you get through the set up if you are unable to follow directions.

Step 1. Battery installation. 2 each for the indoor station and 2 each for each remote sensor you want to use. The remote(s) and the indoor station must be 3 to 5 feet apart from each other before you begin. The remote sensors get the 2 batteries first and then the indoor station can have its batteries installed. If you are trying to install 3 remote sensors, the battery installation process must be completed within 6 minutes or the units won’t work as expected. After batteries are all installed, DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING!
For those people who must touch buttons as soon as you see a display, grab one of your kid’s toys or your spouse, and play with that until its time to continue. If you try to start gerfingerpoking on the 2 buttons on the indoor station, you won’t get accurate readings. The instructions strongly inform you that you must wait 10 minutes before the next step.

Step 2. The next step. After 10 minutes, you should see that both units have their temperatures displayed on the indoor station. Now you can take your remote and stick it anywhere you want (preferably in a dry shaded area, fog and humidity are fine, but you should keep it out of direct rain). The indoor station has only 2 buttons on the front. The top button has SET and CHANNEL on either side of it, and the bottom button has RESET/+ and MIN/MAX on either side of that.
Using the 2 buttons, you can set the time feature with either 12 hour or 24-hour displays. This process was very fast and easy.

Step 3. Impress your friends and loved ones. Sadly that’s easier said than done, because if you actually own one of these cute little devices, everyone will know you’re a weather geek AND an electronic geek. I, sad to admit, am both. But incase anyone really is interested, the LCD display on the light indoor station reads the time on top, the indoor station in the middle and the remote station on the bottom.

Extras

Besides the additional remotes that you can purchase, the Wireless Weather Thermometer comes with all you need to mount each unit. The indoor station also comes with a table stand if you don’t want to mount the unit.

On the indoor station there is also a Min/Max feature. Pushing the Min/Max button the first time will show you the low temperature recorded at what time. Pushing the Min/Max button again, will show you the maximum temperature recorded and the time for that also.

My thoughts and recommendations

On sale, this unit cost less than $20 for the indoor station and the remote. I really enjoy having this wireless temperature station. The hassles and peculiarities of the set up were a one-time deal, and I’ve had months of usage with nothing else to do.
In energy-starved California, I try to use nature’s cooling or heating before I turn on a heater or air conditioner. I use the wireless temperature station, as a guide to see when is the right time to close up or open up the windows and doors. This has probably saved more than the cost of the unit in energy consumption.
I keep the indoor temperature station on my desk at home. I love having a silent clock to keep track of the time.

I would recommend this as a perfect gift for anyone who’s a fan of The Weather Channel or loves electronic gadgets, or for those who are keeping their geekness a secret, this is a great gadget to buy for oneself.

Ambient Weather Ws-16-x3 Wireless 8-channel Thermometer With Three Remotes

Ambient Weather Ws-16-x3 Wireless 8-channel Thermometer With Three Remotes

NEW Ambient Weather WS-16-X3 Wireless 8-Channel Thermometer with Three Remotes $54.98 $73.95 Additional Features: The display console displays tempera...

Ambient Weather Ws-07-x7 Big Digit 8-channel Wireless Thermo-hygrometer With Se.

Ambient Weather WS-07-X7 Big Digit 8-Channel Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer with Seven Remote Sensors Features Monitor wireless temperature and humidity r...

Ambient Weather Ws-15-x3 Wireless 8-channel Thermometer With Plastic Probe Therm

NEW Ambient Weather WS-15-X3 Wireless 8-Channel Thermometer with Plastic Probe Thermometer with Three Remote Sensors $63.24 $84.95 Additional Features...

Meade Weather Gauges & Instruments Wireless Remote Temperature and Humidity 3-Channel Sensor with LCD Display and Wired Temperature Probe TS33F-M

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. The Wireless Remote 3-Channel Sensor Probe is designed to monitor both temperature and humidity on the remote sen...
Home Depot

Ambient Weather Ws-08-c Wireless Indoor/outdoor 8-channel Thermo-hygrometer With

Neataneloys 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE NOW SHIPPING WORLDWIDE NEW Ambient Weather WS-08-C Wireless Indoor/...

The Weather Channel Ws-9005twc-it-cbp Wireless Rain Center By La Crosse

The Weather Channel Ws-9005twc-it-cbp Wireless Rain Center By La Crosse

The WEATHER CHANNEL WIRELESS RAIN CENTER WS-9005TWC-IT-CBP Wireless Rain Center displays total rain and rainfall for the last 24 hours, along with a c...
Ambient Weather Ws-07 Big Digit 8-channel Wireless Thermo-hygrometer

Ambient Weather Ws-07 Big Digit 8-channel Wireless Thermo-hygrometer

Please read all the way down for the description of this item Ambient weather This listing is for a new in the original package Ambient weather Big Di...

LaCrosse Technology Wireless Weather Station - White, Waterproof Probe, Model WS-9029U-IT

Wireless sensor measures outdoor temperature and features a corded waterproof probe to measure soil or water temperature. Information is sent to recei...
Northern Tool

La Crosse Technology Wireless Weather Station WS-9066U-IT-CBP

La Crosse Technology Wireless Weather Station WS-9066U-IT-CBP

La Crosse Technology WS-9066U-IT-CBP La Crosse Technology Wireless Weather Station with Moon Phase. This wireless forecast station features 8 moon ph...
Wayfair

La Crosse Technology Wireless Weather Station Alarm Clock Multicolor - WS-9611U-IT

Shop for Weather Instruments from Hayneedle.com! More About the Wireless Sun/Moon Forecast Station with Oscar Outlook Weather-Man forecast icon sugges...
Hayneedle