Weight Watchers GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bar Reviews

Weight Watchers GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bar

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

Do Ultra-low Fat and Cholesterol Numbers Mean You'll Be Binging on These Beige Bars?

May 12, 2008 (Updated May 12, 2008)

Pros:Flavor should gratify coffee fanatics. Remarkably low amounts of "the bad stuff" (including saturated fat).

Cons:Unappealing appearance. Texture somewhat more "milky" than "creamy." Prone to quickly melting. Rather expensive.

The Bottom Line: If you can overlook the "yucky-looking" soft beige "ice cream" (not to mention its tendency to melt quickly); and if you love strong coffee, these ultra-low-fat treats might intrigue you.

Prefatory note #1: My actual rating of this product is "three-and-a-half stars".

Prefatory note #2: I found these at my neighborhood Wal-Mart Supercenter for $3.99 per box (six four-ounce bars).

Last January I posted an "Epinion" explaining how I'd shed 23 pounds in a mere month while casually "pigging out" and scarcely exercising. [How I Safely* Lost 23 Pounds in One Month (While Lazily Pigging Out!)] Since then, I've held fast to the basic nutritional guidelines defining my "lifelong diet", and I've gradually jettisoned even more poundage; my total weight loss is about 30 pounds. [I'm 6' 1", and my weight is about 165.]

My January post explained how virtually anybody could attain their ideal weight without going hungry or counting calories. But one thing it didn't emphasize was that (especially after having attained your ideal weight level) it's possible to "sin" up to 10% of the time and still not gain any weight. This allows for the occasional indulgence in such dietary "junk" as these Weight Watchers GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bars.

Now, I still generally eschew such processed, unnatural "foods". The only reason I'm granting a "three-and-a-half-stars" rating here is because, contrasted with the bulk of its ilk, this particular Weight Watchers product is both less unhealthful and--after your first few bites--satisfyingly tasty, provided you love the taste of (more or less) sweetened coffee.

For those of you who (unlike me) continually monitor Weight Watchers "point values," I should mention that each of these "GIANT Latte" ice cream bars rates only a single point, which is quite good. Indeed, its nutritional credentials--especially regarding its "fats" numbers--are rather impressive for this category of "ice cream novelties." Each bar contains only 1 gram of fat (1% of the FDA-sanctioned "Daily Value"); of that amount, 0.5 grams is saturated fat. [Consumption of saturated fat engenders the production of high "LDL"--i.e., "bad"--cholesterol in your arteries. Speaking of which, each bar additionally contains "less than 5" milligrams of cholesterol (merely 1% of the official Daily Value).]

Now, let me re-emphasize, the coffee flavor in this product is rather pronounced. In fact, my very first bite didn't please me; the coffee content seemed so concentrated as to to be downright overpowering. However, let me also hasten to say that that sensation quickly moderated with my next few bites, and by the time I'd finished my first bar, I was actually keen to have another.

Therefore, if you don't strongly enjoy "sweetened coffee," you'll likely not enjoy this Weight Watchers product. But if you (like me) do enjoy coffee ice cream, I can report that these GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bars, while nowhere near the very best "coffee ice cream" I've tasted [e.g., Baskin Robbins' (relatively unhealthful and fattening) "Jamoca" tastes much better than this], these bars are, nonetheless, quite likely to satisfy your cravings without making you feel unduly sinful.

Indeed, who can feel unduly guilty after eating one (or even two or three) bars when the "Daily Value percentages" on the Nutrition Facts panel (on the back of the cardboard product box) reveals nothing downright dreadful? [See more about that below.]

On the downside, I didn't find either the outward appearance (sort of an unnatural beige color) or the texture of the "ice cream" particularly appealing. First, there is, of course, no yummy dark-chocolate crunchy coating. Second, these bars are at least vaguely akin to those watery "fudge sickles" that always used to underwhelm me as a kid. [On second thought, to be fair, these Weight Watchers GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bars are, at least, more appealingly "creamy" than that!] Third, these bars are prone to melt very quickly, and so you'd best polish them off immediately after removing them from the freezer, lest you have a mess on your hands (perhaps literally).

Curiously, the symmetrical wooden stick upon which each bar is mounted is not of the conventionally skinny, elongated-oval shape. Instead, each stick is relatively short and fat; and instead of having straight edges, each stick tapers slightly inward at its midsection such that it's contoured vaguely like an hourglass (or, perchance, a svelte lady's silhouette). Presumably these "daintier-and-shapelier" sticks will help make each guilt-free indulgence in these Weight Watchers junk-food snacks a relatively more cultivated experience than if you were snarfing, say, old-fashioned "vanilla-dipped-in-chocolate" ice cream bars.

Thus (one can mischievously imagine), this product is targeted not at the lowly American masses but rather those elegant and elite (albeit rotund) upper-crust ladies religiously weighing in at their weekly--and perennial--Weight Watchers meetings.

The upshot:

If you can overlook the outward "beige-ice-milk" appearance and the somewhat overly soft ice cream's tendency to melt immediately, you just might find this product intriguing. Nothing on the "Nutrition Facts" panel is unduly scary. Not only are the calories, fat, cholesterol, and carbohydrates numbers impressively low, but even the "sodium" number (one bar = "2% of the DV") is more than tolerable.

Now, if you despise the taste of coffee, you'll likely eschew this product. But if you savor strongly brewed coffee and you need to watch your waistline and you're feeling the urge for yet another ice cream indulgence (or two, or three), six of these Weight Watchers GIANT Latte Ice Cream Bars just might seem fully worth four or five bucks to your sensibilities.

***

Sugars 15g
Protein 3g 6%

Vitamin A 6%
Calcium 10%

INGREDIENTS: MILK FAT AND NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, POLYDEXTROSE, FLAVOR BASE (WATER, SUGAR, COFFEE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS PRESERVATIVE, SULFITES), CELLULOSE GEL, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, MALTODEXTRIN, POLYSORBATE 80, VITAMIN A PALMITATE.

Weight Watchers Chocolate Cakes With Chocolate Icing 5.7 Oz

Weight Watchers Chocolate Cakes With Chocolate Icing 5.7 Oz

Auction is for one 5.7 oz box of Weight Watchers Chocolate Creme Cakes with Chocolate Icing BOX CONTAINS 6 INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED CAKES -Combined Shippi...

Weight Watchers Smoothie French Vanilla - Five (5) Boxes = 35 Smoothie Shakes

Weight Watchers Smoothie French Vanilla - Five (5) Boxes = 35 Smoothie Shakes

Weight Watchers French VANILLA Smoothie Shakes Five (5) Boxes of French Vanilla Smoothie Shake Mixes.Each sealed box has 7 individually packaged smoot...

Weight Watchers Bite Size Candies, Dark Chocolate

Weight Watchers Bite Size Candies, Dark Chocolate

Whitman's Candies Weight Watchers Bite Size Candies Each pouch offers great taste while helping you keep an eye on portion size. Each pouch has a valu...
Netrition.com

Weight Watchers 2-week Online Trial Pack Tm7/cb1

Weight Watchers 2-week Online Trial Pack Tm7/cb1

Weight Watchers 2-Week Online Trial Pack TM7 $20 Value Our Price: $12.79 For nearly half a century, weight watcher has been helping people achieve the...

Weight Watchers Candy Peanut Butter Cups 3 oz

Weight Watchers Candy Peanut Butter Cups 3 oz

Weight Watchers PointPlus Program!Gives you a weight-loss edge.
Vitacost.com

Weight Watchers Bite Size Candies, Caramels

Weight Watchers Bite Size Candies, Caramels

Netrition.com

Weight Watchers Smoothies Mixed Case Of 3 Different Flavors = 12 Sealed Boxes

Weight Watchers Smoothies Mixed Case Of 3 Different Flavors = 12 Sealed Boxes

Weight Watchers Smoothie Shakes 3 Different Flavors = (12) Boxes = 1 Full Case This way you get to try them all.You will get four (4)sealed boxes of e...

Weight Watchers Chocolate Creme Filled Snack Cakes With Chocolate Icing 2pts

Weight Watchers Chocolate Creme Filled Snack Cakes With Chocolate Icing 2pts

Scrumptious chocolate filled WW snack cakes will leave you feeling full and satisfied without the guilt! Each box contains 6 scrumptious chocolate cak...

5 Cans Jolly Green Giant Cream Style Sweet Corn 14.75 Oz Weight Watchers Boxtops

New, 5 cans Green Giant Cream Style Swee t Corn 14.75 oz each can (59 oz)Expiration 10/2016 Weight Watchers 3 PointsPlus Value Education BoxTops 10 ce...

Weight Watchers Candy Mint Patties Covered in Rich Dark Chocolate 3.25 oz