Weihenstephaner Korbinian

Definately a meal in a bottle.

May 15, 2009

Pros:Chewy malt, good balance of rich and sweet flavors.

Cons:Can't find any

The Bottom Line: If you are looking for a Dopplebock to rival Paulaner, this is a close call.  Full of flavor and easy to drink, what a combination.

Bocks have been providing liquid refreshment for hundreds of years.  Bocks were first brewed in the 14th century in the German city of Einbeck.  They are known as a rich, robust, and malty brew that monks used to drink during Lenten fasts.  Dopplebock, meaning double bock, takes this process a step further by steeping up both the flavor and alcohol content.  Sometimes known as "a meal in a glass" Dopplebocks can provide an almost chewy texture with piles of glorious caramel and roasted malt.  They are perfect winter beers to warm you up on those cold nights. So when I saw that my beer store was carrying a new dopplebock by one of my favorite German breweries, Weihenstephan, I wasted little time in grabbing a couple.

When you talk about breweries that have been around for a while, you better mention Weihenstephan in the same breath.  The brewery traces it roots back to the year 1040 and is the oldest brewery still in operation.  Like many breweries of years past, beer was first brewed by German monks until it was passed to the state.  With all this time allotted for trial and error you better believe they make some quality beers…perfection takes time.

This review is of a 22 oz. bomber of Weihenstephan Korbinian poured into a mug.

The Pour:

The first thing that jumps out at me is the bottle art.  The label has the appearance of stained glass with some religious looking figure and a bear with a backpack, very cool.  The beer pours a deep brown with deep red highlights that can be seen when I hold the beer up to the light.  The head is off-white in color and large in size but I blink and it recedes to just a fine lacing.  However, this spider-web lacing lasts through the duration of the beer.

The Aroma:

As you might expect, this is heavy in the malt category.  The malt reminds me of baked rye bread.  I believe the Germans call this roggenbrot and it makes a tasty and filling breakfast item.  While the aroma is mostly malty, there is some sweetness packed in the form of raisins, dates, and figs.  I think I also pick up a hint of brown sugar.

The Taste:

Korbinian first comes through as sweet with the dark fruits mixing with what tastes like a little brown sugar and honey. After the initial sweetness, it pretty much becomes a total malt-bomb. The bread-like malt has a ton of character and consistency and definitely has that chewy texture you look for in a quality dopplebock.  There is a touch of hops in the finish that make this slightly bitterer than your run of the mill dopplebock.  However, I am surprised that even with the alcohol content of 7.4%, it remains well hidden and did not burn the throat on the way down.

Overall:

While this is just too robust to be an everyday beer, it hits the spot on colder winter nights.  That being said, I can't believe how easy it is to drink considering the alcohol content.  I think the thickness in the beer would catch up with my stomach before my brain.  Korbinian may not be the best choice with summer approaching but when the weather starts turning cold, this is a great choice.