Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (H1U10000N) Hard Drive Reviews

Great Storage for Small Price

Aug 2, 2008

Pros:- 500 affordable gigs of storage

Cons:- Slow boot up

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for an affordable way to backup your pics, music, movies and more, get a Book!

I purchased a Western Digital My Book (with 500 gigs of storage space) just about a year ago at Best Buy. Back then the price was still closer to $200, but I was still happy to buy it. I needed space for my music library - my computer was on its last leg and I was not about to lose all my transferred music.

The Book is working out great - except for the occasional slow load times, which is its only serious set back.

I use the Book with both my desktop computer and my PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It's plug and play - so easy!

Working with the Book is easy as well - drag files onto it and transfer them in no time. However, files larger than four gigs have to be split up. I'm sure there's a way around it - I just haven't had the need to look into it yet.

Online support through Western Digital is available, but I haven't had to use it. Available downloads on their site include software to quickly back up your files and a diagnostics program in case there's problems with your hard drive.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. Western Digital provided me with a great product for a great price. The occasional slow boot up times are really not a problem for me, and neither is the drive's fan which some people find rather loud. But I suppose I've gotten used to it from listening to the PS3 and Xbox's fans - it blends right in.

So, if you need ample storage and don't want to spend a big amount of money, look into getting a Western Digital My Book.

Easy to use and extremely reliable the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition external hard drive provides users with a massive amount of storage s...