Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (H1U10000N) Hard Drive Reviews

Excellent Value!! Painless setup, very easy to use.

Nov 1, 2008 (Updated Nov 1, 2008)

Pros:Never cheaper per GB, easy to connect, simple to use.

Cons:Not much of a manual, but is USB 'Plug and Play'.

The Bottom Line: Definitely Buy recommendation!  Cheap, easy to use, transportable, and can be used with PC, Mac, laptop, or home media center.

Western Digital has always had a good reputation for excellent design, superb quality control, and solid service and support. The My Book Series of external USB hard drives is no exception.

The case is attractive, well designed, and extremely easy to set up and configure.  Follow the simple directions and you can be up an running in less than 10 minutes.
My Book is plug and play via USB, and complete or incremental back ups can be scheduled under tasks in Windows XP or Vista.  Although I am reviewing the 1000GB or 1 TB model, Western Digital also sells the exact same configuration in different sizes or capacities (160GB, 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, or 1000GB), which uses the exact same case, connectors, software, etc, just with different capacity drives.

Before you buy a 1000GB (1TB drive) right click on your drive(s) ('My Computer') and see how much data or space you have actually used (20 or 30 Gigs).  Unless you are a hard core music fan, or down load scads of HD movies, the 500 Gig may be sufficient to back up both your PC and laptop files.  However if you download HD video, and use your USB external drive as part of your media center, definitely go larger than smaller.

As far as set up, I did not use the included software (as it was a 30 day trial program).  Once the drive was attached and powered on it appeared under drives in 'My Computer'.  I am not a fan of drive letters so I renamed   it "WD 1 TB USB Back UP".  I then right clicked on the newly renamed drive and formatted it NTFS.  Once the NTFS format was completed, I restarted the PC and dragged, dropped and copied my important files (if you copy and the process is interrupted by a power failure, the original data is still there, if you move and the process is interrupted, the user can lose the data forever....so always copy and verifty the data is where you want it).  I then scheduled a complete back when I was done using the PC for the night.  A complete back up will take awhile (up to several hours depending on how many files and how much data you are backing up).

One big advantage of the external USB My Book Series is that you can move huge files from work to home, or PC to laptop, that would exceed ISP limitations on size if sent via e-mail.

As of 11/01/08 Wal Mart has the 1000GB for $169.98 and the 500GB for $98.88.  Regardless of where you purchase your external USB hard drive, at these prices do not neglect buying an external drive, and automating your data and file back up to protect your important files and data.  Hard drives do fail, a virus can crash your PC, laptops are lost or stolen....do not lose irreplaceable pictures or important files with back up USB drives available for under $100!

Easy to use and extremely reliable the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition external hard drive provides users with a massive amount of storage s...