Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (H1U10000N) Hard Drive Reviews

Easy to use, Nice Product, Warranty Questionable

Dec 27, 2009

Pros:Simple, Attractive, Reasonably Priced and Compact

Cons:Warranty May Be Expired Before Purchased

The Bottom Line: Simple and easy to use, inexpensive and holds irreplaceable data.  Inquire about Warranty right from the start!

The My Book Essential Edition 1TB External Hard Drive is a gift anyone who saves a lot of information and doesn't want to live with the fear of their computer 'going down'.

As I received this as a gift, I was completely thrilled and taken quite by surprise.  Therefore, I didn't do any research into this purchase beforehand and am basing my opinions on a 'cold' start.

Packaging
This item was surprisingly well packaged.  The plastic case in which it is enclosed keeps it hovering in the center of the box.  Therefore the banging and drops that items in shipping tend to see is much less likely to harm the unit.
Inside was only a few items.  The unit itself, a USB cable, Power adapter, and some folded instructional materials.  Nothing fancy and no overkill by any means.

Appearance
Upon removing it from the packaging, it is a handsome unit.  It isn't much bigger than a thick paperback novel.  It does have some weight to it, but only enough to make it feel substantial and not wimpy.  On the front it has two vertical blue LED bars.  These show power on, transferring, and powering down.  They aren't large, maybe 2 inches combined.  Also, I barely notice the drive running.  Once in a while I hear a faint whirr of the unit, but it isn't anything intrusive.

Setup
This is the easiest and sweetest part.  The packaging they give to you to help you set up is lame.  4 pictures total on the front and more languages on the back for Registration and Warranty than you can shake a stick at!  A yellow sheet with phone numbers and one paragraph of 'Important Information" regarding Tech Support.  It even says you should read your user manual.  To be fair, it does have a more in-depth manual on the drive itself via Adobe, but really, there's not a lot to know, it is intuitive.
Plug in the power cord to the wall, other end into the drive, USB to the back of the pc and then to the drive.  That is IT!  Super job WD!

Additions
The unit doesn't autoplay on my pc, so I had to go under My Computer to open the drive.  I ran the setup feature which gave me info on a few trial software programs.  I tend to not use them, so I didn't try them out and cannot comment.  However, I did use the backup portion that backs up the files to make the unit work onto my pc.  This is so that if one were to change file formats or have to format it, you can use it again.  It was easy.  Also there is a selection to read the User Manual (which I did) and for Registration.  This is an issue for me.

Registration
As I received this item on December 25, 2009 and it was purchased on December 22, 2009 there shouldn't have been an issue with the included 1 year warranty period.  However, when I followed the Registration link and entered the Serial Number, it came up in red stating my Warranty EXPIRED in November 2009.  What in the world?  I have sent off an email asking for some type of an explanation as this was a new product and had not been opened nor previously registered.  I'll update with further info.

Capacity
According to the packaging this should hold approx 440 Hours of DVD, 2580,000 MP3's and 285,000 photos in JPG format.
The box does state it is a 1TB unit, however, with the software on the unit that it comes with and other necessary info, the system tops out at 931GB.  A tad bit misleading.

Power
This unit powers up and down with the computer, so you don't have to worry about turning it on and off or the electricity that you waste by having it on.  If you want to turn it off while you are on the computer, use the Safely Remove Hardware button on the toolbar and it is a snap.  I like this feature greatly.

Configuration
The file setup is a FAT32 which will only let you save something about 4GB in size.  I'm not 100% familiar with how this works, so I will only state what I do know.  It is possible to switch this to NTFS, other more experienced users will know how to do this.  I just know that my family videos are larger than 4GB and I will need to do it also.

Overall Opinion
Thus far, this has to be the easiest and most convenient way to back up my precious photos and videos.  Drag and drop is the way to go.  Now I don't have to worry about my media being lost forever if my hard drive on my computer fails.  Setup and use is a snap, even for a novice.  Excluding my Warranty issue, I am very impressed with the item.  I do recommend that everyone backs up their data from time to time, and this is certainly the way to go!

Easy to use and extremely reliable the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition external hard drive provides users with a massive amount of storage s...