Western Digital WD400BB 40 GB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5" (wd07040-1) Hard Drive Reviews

Western Digital WD400BB 40 GB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5" (wd07040-1) Hard Drive

Put your life... Someplace else.

Dec 24, 2001

Pros:Competitively priced, easy to install, readily available at many electronics retailers.

Cons:Unreliable.

The Bottom Line: Unless you enjoy living dangerously with your data, avoid this drive.

You may think I have a personal vendetta against Western Digital; however, I do not. I own several of their drives, including a 20GB 7200 RPM drive that I have run nonstop in my Linux server for over a year since I bought it. I always recommended Western Digital and aside from an abused (used as a troubleshooting component while repairing PCs) 420MB drive that failed several years ago, I had NEVER had another problem with their drives. This drive changed the way I felt about Western Digital.

The first one worked fine for about four months. It then began making a loud high-pitched noise that fluctuated in and out while it was powered on. While performance seemed unaffected, it was annoying nonetheless. After two more months, I was unable to access a file on the system, so I ran Scandisk - sure enough, after it finally finished its "thorough" check, the drive had gotten bad sectors and lost some of my files. I played a game of cat and mouse with this drive for a few weeks. I used the Data Lifeguard Tools to "restore the drive to error free status", then Scandisk found more bad sectors. I finally tired of the game and got the drive replaced through the reseller I bought it from (who thankfully, offer a one year in-store warranty in addition to the manufacturer's warranty).

The second drive only made it a month before problems began. I turned on the computer one morning and Windows would not load. The system hung while trying to read the drive. Out comes the Data Lifeguard Tools disk - AGAIN. Yet again, Data Lifeguard Tools saved the day and restored the drive to "error free status", and a quick scankdisk later everything was back to normal. While I'm pleased Data Lifeguard Tools works as advertised, I'd much rather have a reliable product that doesn't need a Band-Aid fix to remain "error free". If this is the state Western Digital's products have degenerated into, I will no longer purchase or recommend them.

The Western Digital WD400BB is a legacy hard drive from the WD Caviar internal hard drive series. This Western Digital hard drive has a 40GB capacity ...