Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5" (WD15EADS) Hard Drive Reviews

Free Shipping Server Supply

Huge hard drives at a great price

Dec 24, 2009

Pros:These drives are fast, quiet and did I mention HUGE?

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: Buy these for capacity and speed.

I bought two of these Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB drives.  For just over one hundered dollars apiece, I don't think you can go wrong.  I'm running Windows 7 on them in a computer I built myself.  They are fast, they are quiet, and they are HUGE!

I replaced three drives, one SATA 500GB, a 200GB IDE and another 150GB IDE and was running about 80% capacity across the bunch, so I really had to get some more room, one way or another.  And all the data on those drives fit on one drive.  The second is for expansion, backup or potentially another system.

Installation was easy.  Power cable and SATA cable are all easy connections.  These were bare drives, but I have plenty of cables anyways, and no drivers are needed for installation, not with Windows 7, nor are any utilities needed.  I have no idea how these would install under Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 or 2008.  I have read one instance where only 500GB was available at the time of install, but it was very unclear on what kind of system it was.  Motherboard/BIOS may also factor into that.

The only hiccup I had was that one drive failed during Windows 7 installation, causing errors with any drive as long as the bad one was connected.  After isolatiing which drive was bad, I sent the bad one to the retailer, who issued a replacement which has been working for the past two weeks.

WESTERN DIGITAL - CAVIAR GREEN 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA-II 7PIN 32MB BUFFER 3.5INCH HARD DISK DRIVE (WD15EADS). SYSTEM PULL. IN STOCK.
Server Supply
The Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB internal hard drive comes with the Western Digital IntelliPower rotational speed technology, giving you better...