Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 320 GB,External,7200 RPM (WDH1U3200N) Hard Drive Reviews

All of My Files at My Fingertips!

Sep 16, 2008 (Updated Sep 16, 2008)

Pros:

Huge storage capacity. Very easy to use, easy to set up. Great price.

Cons:Not quite 320GB. It turns out to be 298GB. Not an issue for most people.

The Bottom Line: I would and have recommended this device to anyone. It is a terrific value for a huge amount of storage space.

My almost five-year-old desktop pc was running slow, and taking a long time to boot up. I assumed it was time for a new pc with a faster processor until, one day I stumbled on the Western Digital My Book Essential 320GB External Hard Drive at Wal-Mart for $98. I had heard of these external hard drives before but always figured I couldn't possibly have enough files on my pc to slow it down to this degree. Why did I have a need for an external hard drive?

Well, let me start by saying that this was the best addition to my pc that I have ever made. Not only did it assist in speeding up my pc, it provided a nice, spacious 'place' to keep all of my files free and organized. Almost like a virtual file cabinet for my files.

The Western Digital My Book Essential 320GB External Hard Drive was very easy to install. I just plugged the adapter in, and plugged the usb into my pc. Windows detected the device right away. That's it! It also came with some bundled software. I had no need for this extra software so I just simply deleted it and I had a nice clean storage place to start saving my files in. It is a very simple drag and drop process for any files that you wish to store on this external drive. No software to fight with. This external hard drive also has a very stylish look. It is fairly slim, upright, and just looks like an electronic book sitting on the shelf. It runs very quiet and you can't even tell it is there. It starts up automatically when you turn your pc on, and is accessed with a click. I leave my computer on for over 12 hours a day, and this external hard drive never gets hot or over heated.

This device serves as an added storage on your pc. You can store files, music, photos, movies and more. It is almost unlimited space that will hold 100's of thousands of files.

The only flaw I could find with this device is that the box states that it is a 320GB external hard drive, but it is actually 298GB, even with the included software deleted. This is not really a problem since it would be very hard to even use up 298GB. It also does mention in fine print at the bottom of the box that the total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.

I am very pleased with my purchase of the Western Digital My Book Essential 320GB External Hard Drive. It is so easy to access and keeps all of my files at my fingertips. I can hardly believe I went all the years prior without this device!

My Book Essential Edition is an external hard drive which is small and looks elegant. Once plugged in, this Western Digital hard drive offers you plen...