Western Digital My Passport Essential 250 GB,External,5400 RPM (WDMEB2500TN) Hard Drive Reviews

Great for Data Transfers and Backups - Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB USB-Hard Drive

Jan 2, 2011

Pros:Small size, Lightweight, Sturdy, Plenty of storage space, Very easy to use

Cons:None really

The Bottom Line: The My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable Hard Drive is easy to use and durable enough to stand up to the wear and tear of office, traveling and home use

Having had the chance to use Western Digital's My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable Hard Drive at work has shown me just how handy these little drives are.  Not only do they make easy to use backup drives, but they are great for transferring data between various machines.  They also make it easy for me to bring any sized file I need home to work on.  I have yet get one for myself at home, mostly because I can use the one at work, but I think sooner, rather than later, I will end up picking up one of these drives for personal use at home.

Details

One of the best parts of the My Passport drive is that it is very small and very light.  The drive measures just about 3 inches in width, about 5 ½ inches in height, about a ¼ of an inch in thickness and only weighs a few ounces.  That small size allows me to easily carry the drive around the office and to take it home with me when I need to work on something at home.  I would not say that the drive is pocket size, but it easily slips into shoulder bag that I bring back and forth from work without even noticing it in the bag.

The drive that we have has a shiny black finish and is made from tough plastic.  We have had the two drives that we have knocking around the office and back and forth to home for almost a year and besides a few scratches on the plastic, the drive cases themselves have been fine.  The drives seem durable enough.  They are hard drives so I tend to be more careful with them than other items, but the normal activities of office life and traveling with the drives haven't bothered them at all.

To connect your drive to the computer, you can use the USB cable that came with the drive.  That cable is about a foot long, which is enough on our computers at work and my computer at home to plug into the USB port on my computer and then leave the drive sit on top of the machine.  I do wish the cable that came with it was a bit longer, so you didn't have to leave the drive on the computer, but you can buy a longer USB cable if you had to.

Setting up the drives was very easy.  It is about as a much plug and play as you can get.  The first time you plug the drive in, the computer recognizes it as a USB drive and everything is good to go.  From then on, each time you plug it in, the drive shows up and is ready to go as a regular hard drive, a backup drive, or just as a drive to swap data.

There's a small LED light on the side of the drive that lights up when you have connected it, so you know the power is on and the drive is ready to go.  The only issue I find with this is if you plug the drive in to the back of your machine, you have to place the back of it facing away from you on the top of the machine so the cord goes from the back of the drive to the USB port.  This means that the LED light is usually facing away from me.  Plugging it in to the front of the computer solves this problem.  Either way though once the drive is recognized on the computer, I know it's active since I'm seeing it as an active drive.  The drive itself is powered by the USB connection, so you don't need to have a separate power source for the drive.

The drive is quiet and relatively free of any vibration.  Unless it is really quiet, there is no real audible hum or any other noise that comes from it.

The 250 gigabyte storage in the drives we have is more than enough for the data transfer and the backups that we do.   I don't think we've used more than a few gigabytes, even with regular backups.

The drive Read and write speeds are as quick, if not quicker than when I access memory cards through my USB card reader.  While I am not running programs off the drive, I have not noticed any real delay or lag when accessing files or writing files to the drive.

Experiences

We first got the My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable Hard Drives because we needed an easy way to transfer all the data from our old computers to our new computers when we upgraded our computer system.

They worked great for that.  We basically just copied all our data files from our old machines onto the drives. Then when the new machines were installed and ready to go, we just hooked up the Passport drive and copied over the appropriate directories to each of our machines.

Since then we use the drives as backup drives for our machines.  Our accounting software requires regular backups so we use the drives for that.

I also use my drive to take work back and forth from home and the office.  I just pull whatever files I need onto the drive, take them home, and work on them from the drive.  Then when I get back to the office, just copy the file on the drive back onto my machine at work and can do whatever I need to with it there.

Final Thoughts

I like the My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable Hard Drive that I have been able to use through work, so much so that I will probably end up getting myself one for personal use at home when I have some extra money.

The My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable Hard Drive is easy to use, convenient and seem to be durable enough to stand up to the wear and tear of office, traveling and home use.

Wd My Passport Essential Se 750 Gb Usb 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable Hard Drive

Wd My Passport Essential Se 750 Gb Usb 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable Hard Drive

If you want to extend your digital life wherever you go, the Western Digital My Passport Essential SE external hard drive is the ideal choice. With a ...

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

Automatic, continuous backup Maximum capacity Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Up to 3x faster transfer r...
Western Digital [wd] My Passport Essential Se Portable Hard Drive - 1 Tb

Western Digital [wd] My Passport Essential Se Portable Hard Drive - 1 Tb

Compact and lightweight, the Western Digital My Passport Essential SE portable hard disk is easy to carry along. You can back up all your important da...

Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 Gb Portable Hard Drive Black

Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 Gb Portable Hard Drive Black

For professionals on the move, the My Passport WDBAAA5000ABK-NESN hard drive from Western Digital offers a portable data storage solution. This Wester...

Western Digital 500 gb External Hard Drive - My Passport Essential Boom Box Edition

The world's most popular portable drive is now smaller than ever. And it's smarter than ever with automatic, continuous backup software and password p...
Western Digital - WD 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered,

WD 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered The WD 500GB My Passport for Mac is a sleek portable hard drive that is compati...
Adorama

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb,external Hd Windows 8 Compatable Portable

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb,external Hd Windows 8 Compatable Portable

The Western Digital My Passport WDBBEP0010BBK 1 TB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ca...

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb Hard Drive Black

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb Hard Drive Black

WDBBEP0010BBK About BeachCamera Our Awards Photography Digital Imaging Video Printers Computers Audio Television Home Garden Add beachcamera store to ...

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Green - Free Case

The Western Digital My Passport WDBKXH5000ABK 500 GB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ...