Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II 2 TB,External,7200 RPM (WDH2Q20000N) Hard Drive Reviews

Great for when you need a little more space

Mar 9, 2011

Pros:Great space, stylish case, fast transfers.

Cons:It's really big!

The Bottom Line: If you want to back up all your stuff without having to resort to cumbersome burned DVDs, this external hard drive can do it perfectly.

I've had the Western Digital My Book Studio II 2 TB FireWire Hard Drive for over a year now, and, just like my three other Western Digital harddrives, it works perfectly for what I want it to do. I have a lot of media-- videos, music, backups of my oh-so-important school essays-- and I don't want to worry about running out of room to store them. Also, I need a place to backup my computer in case of mishaps! So I sprung for this 2TB model and I've been happy ever since.

Western Digital makes really excellent products. I've been using this hard drive daily for backups and accessing media, and it hasn't crapped out yet, unlike some other hard drives that give up the ghost after six months. I don't notice any lagging when playing a video or listening to music, and transfering files to and from the hard drive goes pretty quickly, too.

Originally I got it mostly because of the firewire capabilities. Firewire is a little bit faster than USB, but, really, not SO much faster that I'd worry about it any in future purchases. The USB connection is plenty fast, with most transfers (<20GB) taking less than five minutes to go through.

I've reformatted it twice now, once for Mac and once for Linux, and it works perfectly with both platforms. I don't use the backup program that it came with because I don't need it, but I fiddled around with it when I first got the hard drive and it seems decent enough.

The only complaint I have is how frickin' big this hard drive is, especially compared to the portable hard drives which seem to be getting smaller and smaller each month. This thing is a monster, about double the size of the 1TB version (which I also have), and I do wish it was a little less fat.

Western Digital My Book Studio II 4TB Dual-Drive External Storage

Western Digital My Book Studio II 4TB Dual-Drive External Storage

Type External Operating Systems Supported Mac OS X 10.4.10+, 10.5.2+ Windows 2000/XP/Vista System Requirements Available USB port, FireWire 800 or 400...
Newegg.com

Western Digital WD 3TB USB 3.0 WD My Book Studio desktop external hard drive (WDBHML0030HAL-NESN)

My Book Studio desktop hard drive features blazing-fast USB 3.0 performance, massive capacity, compatibility with Apple Time Machine and password prot...

WD My Book Studio 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive

WD My Book Studio 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive

Type External Features Dimensions 6.5 x 5.3 x 1.9 Weigth 2.6 lbs. Heat-dissipating, cool-to-the-touch aluminum enclosure Premium performance Sleek alu...
Newegg.com

Western Digital WD 2TB USB 3.0 WD My Book Studio desktop external hard drive (WDBHML0020HAL-NESN)

Western Digital My Book for Mac 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
Western Digital WD 4TB USB 3.0 WD My Book Studio desktop external hard drive (WDBHML0040HAL-NESN)

Western Digital Wd My Book Essential 3tb External Hard Drive Wdbacw0030hbk

Western Digital Wd My Book Essential 3tb External Hard Drive Wdbacw0030hbk

Store all your extra data on the Western Digital WDBACW0030HBK external hard drive, which has a massive storage capacity. The USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 inte...

Western Digital My Book Live WDBACG0010HCH 1 TB Network Hard Drive - Gigabit Ethernet - Desktop

Western Digital My Book Live WDBACG0010HCH-NESN 1TB Gigabit Ethernet 3.5 External Network Drive, a high-speed network-attached storage system with a s...
WD - My Book Studio 2TB USB3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive, 5Gb/s Data Transfer Rate (USB3

WD My Book Studio 2TB USB3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive, 5Gb/s Data Transfer Rate (USB3.0) The WD My Book Studio 2TB USB3.0 External Desktop Hard Dri...
Adorama

WD - My Book Studio - Hard drive - 4 TB - external ( desktop ) - USB 3.0, External Hard Dr

WD My Book Studio - Hard drive - 4 TB - external ( desktop ) - USB 3.0