Penny Dell Puzzles Wheel of Fortune Word Seek Magazine

Wheel of Fortune Word Seek -- Lots of Fun!

May 17, 2011

Pros:two puzzles in one, Wheel of Fortune similarity, tests solving skills, easy-to-carry magazine

Cons:some might consider this puzzle magazine expensive

The Bottom Line: This Wheel of Fortune Word Seek magazine is loaded with days of entertainment.

Tired of traditional word search puzzles?  So was I.  My active brain sought a word search puzzle book with a twist to enliven the word hunt.  That is how I came to purchase this Penny Press Wheel of Fortune Word Seek Magazine.

Description

This magazine measures about 6" wide x 8 5/8" high in what is known as digest size.  It has 112 pages.  After a few pages of front matter, each page features a word seek diagram with word list.  At the top of each page is also a heading to provide a clue to the Wheel of Fortune puzzle inserted into the center of the word seek puzzle.  At the back of the magazine are pages featuring the answers.

My Experiences

These Wheel of Fortune puzzles are fun!  If you are familiar with the television game called Wheel of Fortune, then you know a word or phrase is presented to contestants along with a hint to help identify the mystery letters (ex: Movie Title, Proper Name, Phrase).  The object of the game is to spin the wheel for prize money and accurately guess letters in the presented word puzzle ... and to find the answer of what the word(s) might spell.

The puzzles in this magazine run along the same format ... except there is no prize wheel to spin.  Sorry!  I know that has to be a disappointment.

Like regular word seek puzzles, on each page is a grid filled with alphabet letters.  In the center of each puzzle are empty boxes, in place of where letters should be.  At the top of the page is a clue as to what this mystery word or phrase might be.  There are quite a few categories, too.  (ex: Fun & Games, Things, Landmark, Fictional Characters, Book Title, Food & Drink, Occupation, In the Kitchen, Living Thing, Family, Song Lyrics, On the Map, etc.)

As you locate the hidden words on the word list, you will begin filling in the missing letters in the center of the puzzle.  I like the challenge of trying to figure of the word or phrase before all the empty boxes are filled in with letters.

I'm very good at solving word seek puzzles, which is why I enjoy puzzles with a twist.  Somehow having those blank letters in the middle of the letter grid makes word finding more challenging.  It takes me longer, but I enjoy the brain test.  The word list print is easy to read, too, as are the letters in the word seek grid.

If you want to try one of these puzzles before committing to an entire book of them, the Penny Press / Dell website offers a free sample puzzle along with answer key.

Purchasing

A year subscription of this magazine with twelve issues costs $24.97.

Summary

I enjoy these Wheel of Fortune Word Seek puzzles.  They offer an entertaining twist on an old game.  It's like receiving two games in one with a regular word seek puzzle and a mystery puzzle to solve.  Great fun!

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Good Time Word Seek (magazine)

Sudoku and More! (magazine)

Dell Pocket Crossword Puzzles (magazine)

Dell Logic Puzzle (magazine)

Approved Variety Puzzles Plus Crosswords (magazine)

Master's Variety Puzzles Plus (magazine)

Pogo.com (online games)