Microwave works fine, but venting fan is weak and noisy

Oct 8, 2007

Pros:Microwave functions work fine.

Cons:Venting fan is noisy and does a poor job of venting.

The Bottom Line: If your primary cooking is being done on a microwave, then this microwave will work fine. Be aware, though, that the venting fan is noisy and weak.

We bought this over-the-range microwave as part of our kitchen renovation and had it professionally installed over our oven. One of the factors in choosing this microwave was the low price.

The microwave functions work fine and as described. There is a center tray that is removable to accommodate larger dishes, and a rotating plate at the bottom.

The venting fan doubles as the cooling fan for the microwave. It turns on automatically if the microwave oven gets hot for any reason.

While we felt the microwave features work fine, the venting fan leaves a lot to be desired. First, it is very noisy, particularly in "High" and "Medium" modes. Only in "Low" mode is the fan quiet. Second, the fan's suction is poor. The fan works fine for simmering items on your regular oven. However, if you do any medium cooking job on your oven, like boiling a cabbage, the fan does not remove the steam properly, resulting in the microwave cabinet being steamed up.

I guess this is just an example of that very important adage - you get what you pay for!

Buy this microwave if your primary need is to microwave. The venting on this microwave is poor and makes regular cooking a bother.