Honey Since the Fridge Broke we Need to Replace ALL the Appliances.

Nov 29, 2012 (Updated Jan 3, 2013)

Pros:Good Interior space, High Powered, Lots of Features.

Cons:Expensive, may be more than you need. Updating the Clock is annoying

The Bottom Line: We spent more than anticipated in hopes that we wouldn't need to upgrade in the near future.  Cooks food evenly and the large interior size/features are useful

Truer words were never spoken… We recently replaced several appliances in the kitchen after nearly a decade.  It was time to upgrade after the fridge decided to end its servitude to us in a painful fashion.  Furthermore women are convincing when stating that if we “replace the fridge with stainless steel, well then we need to replace the remainder of appliances to make sure it all matches.”  Now truth be told if I was on my own as a guy I think I would have just used the mini-fridge downstairs to store beer near the TV, but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t fly with the wife, so here we are.

Out of the Box
I opted to install the unit myself, as Best Buy wanted to charge $120 for the installation, and I felt that the money would be better served elsewhere.  This turned out to be a good decision because even though it is over the range, the Whirlpool WMH217XVS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts Microwave Oven was in fact easy to install and took less than an hour to complete the task.  Honestly the most difficult part was removing my old microwave over the range which had some sort of locking mechanism to keep it in place that I was unaware of and spent much of the time trying to figure that out.  Let’s face it we all miss place manuals after years of having an appliance or electronic.  Well that was the most time consuming part of the installation, the new microwave had a vent cover for the wall hole, several bolts, and a few screws to lock it all into place.  The microwave sits directly above the new GE JGB600SETSS 5 Burner Gas Range stove I also purchased.  It also compliments the The Whirlpool WDT710PAYM 24 in. Built-in Dishwasher also installed at the same time.  Visually pleasing the stainless steel is married with pops of black color trim that surround the window looking into the microwave.

Personal Experience
Honestly for the price you get a good deal of features and a powerful microwave; furthermore the Whirlpool WMH217XVS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts Microwave Oven exceeded my expectations in performance and usability.   I will admit I had no plan to spend as much as I did, but I wanted to do things right, previously I was disappointed with some of my appliance purchases and wouldn’t make that mistake again.  The price was $450 plus tax and again I didn’t spend anything on installation or deliver as I took it home directly from the store.

If you looked at the specifications than you know it is has 1.7 cu ft. of cooking space and is an over the range microwave which is a typical fit and should be standard for more than most homes.  I will say that this microwave hangs down a few inches further than the previous model we owned and I had to remove some of the backsplash I recently installed to properly fit it against the kitchen wall.  The larger interior size can accommodate larger dishes and cooking items with greater ease than the smaller models in its class.

The standard features which I consistently use make the microwave both easy to use and supportive when preparing meals on the go.  The Whirlpool WMH217XVS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts Microwave Oven has an internal sensor when reheating and cooking that helps make the meals cook much more evenly thus preventing cold spots.  That could possibly be my favorite features, because if you’ve used microwaves in the past you’re constantly taking out the food and stirring it.  I mean unless you like scorching hot food bites coupled with ice cold centers? Other features are a defrosting button which tends to work good after you enter the approximate weight and type of item being defrosted.  The reheat buttons tend to take out the guesswork of power settings and time as it runs a program which is designed to properly reheat the item.

Those of us that have used a “Popcorn Button” and had the pleasure of a lingering noxious odor throughout the house after it failed miserably would tend to avoid this feature.  My wife likes to make the popcorn on stove, but I have tried the feature while watching it closely and I’m happy to report it did better than my previous microwave had in the past.  For those of you whom make dinner for your spouse, and they decide that coming home late is no big deal, than the Keep Warm Plus feature will get some good use. I particular like that it keeps food hot for up to 30 minutes after cooking is completed with no loss to the actual quality of the meal.

The display should get a quick mention as it is easy to read and understand, but setting the clock took me some time to figure out, I kept setting it with the numeric pad as instructed, but when I’d walk away it would remain the old time… Frustrating but after a while I believe I have the hang of it, guess I’ll walk up stairs and check it again.

Overall the features and performance of the machine has been fairly good, it usually cooks food evenly, and the programs that are designed specifically for different food settings work fairly well.   The larger interior size is a welcomed addition to the plethora of features, and does assist in making meal preparation easier when coupled with my GE JGB600SETSS 5 Burner Gas Range stove.  I can easily recommend the Whirlpool WMH217XVS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts Microwave Oven for consumers looking for a higher powered, good quality unit with great features and extra interior space.

Additional Kitchen Upgrades

GE JGB600SETSS 5 Burner Gas Range stove

GE PSHF9PGZBB (29.1 cu. ft.) fridge

The Whirlpool WDT710PAYM 24 in. Built-in Dishwasher

Product Details
This Family Capacity microwave can accommodate up to 4 full-sized dinner plates. Sensor Cooking uses built-in sensors to ensure delicious results by monitoring food as it cooks.

Key Features