Kalkan whiskas Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack (12/3oz Flavor - Lock Pouches)

Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack

Nov 19, 2009

Pros:At the beginning it wasn't bad, but certainly not the best.

Cons:Was the Whiskas spoiled, contaminated, a toxin, or could it have been poisoned?

The Bottom Line:

It frightens me that a company such as Kalkan doesn’t respond to a serious inquiry. The cat food had to have something serious wrong with it.

Was the Tuna Whiskas spoiled, could it have had a contaminate introduced, a toxin, or could it have been poisoned?

Whiskas owned by MARS, makers of the Mars Bar, M&M's, Wrigley Gum, and KalKan which is certainly not the end of the MARS product list. The product list continues close to infinity. My concern and review is the Whiskas and the Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack.

MARS began simply, in the kitchen of Frank Mars; when incorporated grew globally with six business sections dealing with pet care,  food, chocolate, gum, drinks, and confections. Mars North America does 7 billion in yearly sales, and employing 15,000 people in 72 facilities nationwide. MARS Petcare US Inc operates out of Franklin Tennessee.

Maybe that is why they never answered my letter, sent by snail mail some time ago. They forgot to hire personal for the mailroom. I wrote a real, honest to goodness paper letter for the first time in a very long time because I had a major concern. As far as I know cats never lie. They sleep a lot, but are a truthful bunch of pesky critters. Though, cats can make great keyboard holders, jamming keys so that your monitor screen does Hokey Pokey; and that is certainly is not what this is not all about. Put your right foot in....

I stated some of the reasons for changing from Whiskas to Fancy Feast in my review Friskies Fancy Feast Grilled Seafood Feast in Gravy Cat Food. However, for KalKan to accept responsibility for the problem so that trouble doesn't occur again I feel Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack deserved a complete review of its own.

A quick rehash of events leading to the problem in question; both of my cats were raised on dry food. Once in a while I would give them a treat of soft cat food. My cat Molly had to have surgery around five years ago. She was given pain medication and antibiotics. It is not easy to give Molly a pill. If you really want to know how difficult it is, please read the Friskies Fancy Feast Grilled Seafood Feast. I am sure you don't want to hear about the pill in my ear a second time.

Molly loves cat food with gravy or sauce. When we first started giving her cat food she would only lick the sauce and leave everything else. At the beginning this is what she did with Whiskas. She loves seafood flavors and hasn't ever ate such things as liver, beef, or anything non-seafood. (We have offered the other flavors but she won't eat them.) She grew to love Whiskas and it appeared to be the highlight of her day. For about four and a half years she ate every bit of her Whiskas. However, she would eat half, then come back downstairs a half hour or so latter to finish the rest of it.

We bought the Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack because each of the three flavors contained sauce. Though, I would have to buy the Cod & Shrimp in Sauce occasionally, because she liked it.

She never once refused her food until one day we fed her Tuna in Sauce. She came running up to her fancy white paper plate, looked at the food and gave us an awful look, like are you trying to poison me? Something had to be wrong with the food. I smelled it, but no noticeable off odor, however the little meaty morsels (they really look like sponges- more on that later) were much paler than usual.

We grabbed another "FLAVOR-LOCK TM pouch out of the variety pack box put it on another paper plate and she dug right in. There are four flavors in each variety box. The cat food is in a foil pouch each containing three ounces of food. The second flavor we gave her was Poached Salmon in Sauce. I gave it a quick whiff and that didn't smell any different than it usually did. It had far more color. She ate it just fine.

We waited a few days before trying the tuna flavored Whiskas out of the same variety pack for the second time. Again, she gave us an evil look. Not one of the pouches of tuna was tried, not one lick. It had to be an odor she was detecting. Could the tuna been spoiled; perhaps. Could something that didn't belong in the food have gotten in contaminating the food, maybe? It had to be one of the two reasons. Because we picked up another variety pack from a local store after the previous variety pack was gone and she ate the tuna just fine. We didn't have another problem for quite some time.

The second time this strange occurrence happened, it was a different flavor. Poached Salmon in Sauce, it had always seemed to be her favorite flavor. Truly I'm not sure how I know that for sure, it was in part the way she ate it, how she looked at us after eating it, and maybe because it looked like the paper plate had worn-in lick marks.

Again, she looked at the Poached Salmon in Sauce, then looked at us like, hey folks, why don't you try it, something is wrong here. I tried warming it up to allow a bit more scent to entice her sense of smell. Now that look was just plain evil. I was expecting her head to start spinning at any second.

Again, we had to get a different flavor out of the box, and she ate every bite of it. This experience was just plain weird. I am disappointed that KalKan didn't at least respond to my mail. It could have been a disaster in the making. If there was poison, contaminate or a toxin in the food, if Molly hadn't been able to detect something had been wrong with the food she could have become highly ill.

It made me think about the contaminated cat food; the wheat from China.

We decided that it was just too expensive wasting money on food that obviously had something wrong with it. This is when we went on a search of a new cat food and decided on Fancy Feast - anything seafood with sauce or gravy.

I wish I remembered for sure how long ago this had taken place. My memory is good, except for a little short. As you get old time rushes as if it is in a hurry to get somewhere important. I really wondered especially since the melamine and cyanide from contaminated Chinese grains made its way into Whiskas but Kalkan denied any problems with products in the United States.

It would be interesting to know what Kalkans response would have been to my problem, but obviously I won't hear a thing because they wouldn't respond.

"FLAVOR-LOCK TM pouch "makes serving quick and easy." I can't exactly agree to that advertising statement. It doesn't tear easily I had to use the scissors. Once you use the scissors the have to be washed in hot sudsy water. If you turn the pouch upside down over the plate part of it comes out, usually around three to six morsels stay stuck inside the foil pouch. I would either use a spoon to scoop out the rest, or start rolling the foil pouch from the bottom to get the rest of the food to push out.

Also, somehow, no matter how you get the last of the morsels with sauce a splatter occurs somewhere. With the Fancy Feast cans this doesn't happen. The can is so easy to use, I just flip open the can, dump it upside down, use the top of the can to cut it up a bit, toss the can in the trash and hand Molly her plate of food. No utensils to mess to clean up.

One other interesting observation is that Whiskas soaked into the paper plate while Fancy Feast doesn't. Fancy feast has a seafood smell, Whiskas smells like, and I have no idea what it smells like.

The statement, "big chunks of tuna swimming in a savory sauce" add any flavor to replace tuna, these big chunks look more like sponges. A couple somehow ended up in the washing machine. I discovered them before the clothing went into the dryer; talking about looking like sponges, the perfect sponge size for a leprechaun.

I did include a product ingredient list at the bottom of the review. I was curious as to how the contaminate could have been introduced to the cat food that Molly refused. I am thankful Molly had a sensitive nose and refused to eat the cat food. She may not be alive right now if she had eaten the food.

You would be amazed at how companies and products intermix,
Purina and Kalkan have been made in the same pet food plants.

I will stick with the Fancy Feast at least until I find something better. Molly loves her Fancy Feast and between her dry cat food and the once daily Fancy Feast plus we give her vitamin supplements, she not only looks good, but is rather spry for her age.

If Kalkan had responded I would feel much better about their products, but at this point I won't even chew their gum. I certainly wouldn't recommend the product to any other person with a cat.

Ingredients

Ocean Whitefish and Tuna in Sauce 3-oz
Sufficient Water For Processing, Chicken, Ocean Whitefish, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Tuna, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Salt, Natural Flavors, Caramel Coloring, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E; D3 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity).  Crude Protein: Min 8.0%, Crude Fat: Min 3.0%, Crude Fiber: Max 1.0%, Moisture: Max 82.0%, Ash: Max 3.0%, Taurine: Min 0.05%

Tuna in Sauce 3-oz
Sufficient Water For Processing, Chicken, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Tuna, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Salt, Natural Flavors, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Caramel Coloring, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Vitamin E; D3 Supplements, Iron Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity). Crude Protein: Min 8.0%, Crude Fat: Min 3.0%, Crude Fiber: Max 1.0%, Moisture: Max 82.0%, Ash: Max 3.0%, Taurine: Min 0.05%

Poached Salmon in Sauce 3-oz
Sufficient Water For Processing, Chicken, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Salmon, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Salt, Natural Flavors, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Caramel Coloring, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Vitamin E & D3 Supplements, Iron Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity). Crude Protein: Min 8.0%, Crude Fat: Min 3.0%, Crude Fiber: Max 1.0%, Moisture: Max 82.0%, Ash: Max 3.0%, Taurine: Min 0.05%

Wag.com

Whiskas Choice Cuts Chef's Favorites Variety Pack

Whiskas Choice Cuts Chef's Favorites Variety Pack Is your cat bored with the usual meal that you dish out for her? Add a dash of excitement to your fe...
Wag.com

Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack 12/3-oz pouches

Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack 12/3-oz pouches

Whiskas Choice Cuts Seafood Menu Variety Pack has hearty cuts smothered in gravy made with seafood slow cooked for a mouth-watering homemade taste ...
PetFoodDirect

Whiskas Choice Cuts Chef's Favorites Variety, 24-count, 4.5-pound

Whiskas Choice Cuts Chef's Favorites Variety, 24-count, 4.5-pound

Favorites Feedback Contact Us View Other Items Item Photos Whiskas Choice Cuts Chef's Favorites Variety, 24-Count, 4.5-Pound Description Product Descr...

Fire & Sword Akc-6 15mm Kalkan Shields (24) Conversion Bits Warrior

Fire & Sword Akc-6 15mm Kalkan Shields (24) Conversion Bits Warrior

Fire and Sword - Kalkan Shields Fire and Sword is a Polish company which manufactures a line of 15mm historical miniatures, focused on the 17th centur...

Whiskas Choice Cuts With Mixed Grill In Gravy 24/3-oz pouches-

Whiskas Choice Cuts With Mixed Grill In Gravy 24/3-oz pouches-

Hearty pieces of poultry and meat slow-cooked for a mouthwatering homemade taste your cat will love. The special Flavor-Lock pouch seals in the slow...
PetFoodDirect