Wilson Classic

An Old School Shoe

Apr 12, 2000 (Updated Apr 14, 2000)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Comfort:
  • Weight:
  • Stability:

Pros:average stability, very durable, good price

Cons:hard to find shoe, old model

The Wilson Classics have been around for ages -- about ten years, give or take a few years. The Classic line is available in classic style (in full leather, as seen in the picture), a mesh style, and a high-cut (either 3/4 or 5/8) style that wraps around your ankle. I have tried all three pairs. And, I would recommend the mesh style for those looking for more comfort in a shoe; the mid-cut shoe for more stability and support; the classic for a bit of comfort, stability, and durability rolled into one.

the Good and the Bad and the Ugly

--Durability.
As another review mentioned, the best part aspects of the shoe is durability. The shoe is constructed of Goodyear rubber, which is decent material. The soles do last a long time, but simply put, when you compare these shoes with top-of-the-line shoes today, there is no match. The top-of-the-line shoes are far lighter, comfortable and more durable than these old-school Classics.
To boot, most new school shoes offer a 6 month guarantee. If you are looking for a durable and comfortable Wilson shoe, opt for the Wilson DST (there is a 6 month guarantee on this shoe).

--Comfort.
The Classic is stiff. I agree with the Mwenderoth’s review that the shoe does take a while to wear in. The leather is a bit hard, but does break in well after a couple of weeks. If you are looking for a similar shoe that offers more comfort (and a faster break-in time), I would opt for the Classic meshes. The meshes are also cheaper than the Classics.
On another note, they wear out faster. I played with them on hard courts and wore them out pretty quickly—the toe area ripped apart.
I would recommend using the meshes for red clay of har-tru surfaces. Grass is even another option, but who plays on grass these days?

--Insole.
One thing I was impressed with about the Classic (if I recall correctly) is that the shoe’s insole was thick. This thickness adds tremendously to the comfort. However, what happens when you wear a thick insole shoe in a hot climate (thus, hot court surface), is that heat builds up inside the foot area (at least it did with mine) and causes blisters faster.

--Stability
The high cut version is the most stable out of the Classic models. And, the support is only average, if that. I would not opt for the high cut unless you are looking for the extra ankle support. These shoes tend to weigh you down. And your ankles may rub against the somewhat harsh interior.

--Lacing system is interesting.
These Wilsons came out before the different speed lacing systems (introduced by Nike and showcased by many other shoe companies) were made popular. {There are a lot more lacing systems around today then there have ever been.} The Classics offer a
three plastic hole area that really works in making the laces stay together. This, of course, adds to the shoes stability.

--The Ugly, Classic Look
These shoes are plain as Jane. 10 years ago, this shoe fit well into the conservative tennis style. Today, they are just not that hip for the younger crowd. I think they are plain ugly. And, the ¾ cut shoes look like moon boots. Go figure.

--Fit.
These shoes run on the wide size. They fit my feet fine, but those with narrower feet, I would suggest either the Adidas or Nikes Air.

Price
The price on these shoes hardly ever fluctuate. They range from high $40 to mid $50; I remember purchasing the meshes for about 45 dollars at Holabirds some 8 years ago.

Where to Buy?
This shoe is extremely hard to find. They are classics in the tennis world. Usually, you can find them at Holabirds. But I just checked on their web site and they are not selling them. The reason? Wilson has taken the good parts of the shoe (the treads, for one) and added them to its newer models.

the LowDown
If this were 1990, I would highly recommend the Wilson Classic. But this is 2000, and I can only give a recommended on this shoe.
The Classic is an old-school tennis shoes that offers average stability, comfort, durability as compared to the newer models.

Wilson Hammer 5.2 Classic Os 110 4 1/4 Grip Tennis Racquet

Wilson Hammer 5.2 Classic Os 110 4 1/4 Grip Tennis Racquet

summersky-2008 store New Wilson Hammer 5.2 Classic OS 110 4 1/4 grip Tennis Racquet ******Please read *. new never used. 110 Headsize and 4 1/4 grip.-...

Wilson USSSA Mens Classic M Series Softballs SYNTHETIC OPTIC YELLOW 12 - 1 DOZEN

Wilson USSSA Mens Classic M Series Slowpitch Softballs (1 Dozen) COATED COVER: With 2 sided adhesive to produce longer ball life ONE PIECE DEMARINI®...
Epic Sports
WILSON Harmonized Putter - Classic Mallet - Size: 35 IN., Men's Right Hand (028664444)

Designed with the latest game improvement technologies, the WILSON Harmonized® putter offers head shapes and weighting options to fit your style of pl...
Sports Authority

Wilson Sporting Goods Women's Hope Harmonized Golf Sand Wedge, Right Hand, Steel

Store Search search Title, ISBN and Author Wilson Women's Harmonized Golf Wedge Estimated delivery 3-12 business days Format Condition Brand New Class...

Wilson USSSA Womens Classic W Series Softballs SYNTHETIC LEATHER OPTIC YELLOW 11 - 1 DOZEN

Wilson USSSA Womens Classic W Series Slowpitch Softballs (1 Dozen) COATED COVER: With 2 sided adhesive to produce longer ball life ONE PIECE DEMARINI...
Epic Sports
Wilson Men's Harmonized Black Chrome 60 Wedge, Right-Handed

Wilson Men's Harmonized Black Chrome 60 Wedge, Right-Handed

The Wilson Men's Black Chrome 60 Wedge is an essential addition to an enthusiast's golf bag and is shaped for right-handed players. It features a new ...

Wilson Juice Pro Paddle: Wilson Platform Tennis Paddles

Wilson Juice Pro Paddle: Wilson Platform Tennis Paddles

Wilson Juice Pro Paddle : Constructed with a foam-filled rim, the Wilson Juice Pro Paddle delivers a classic feel. The firm surface provides maximum c...
Holabird Sports

Personalized Clear Tube with Wilson Ultra Golf Balls - Custom

Personalized Clear Tube with Wilson Ultra Golf Balls - Custom

Clear Tube includes (3) Wilson Ultra Golf balls and a features classic 4 color golf motif on the tube.
National Pen Company

Wilson Staff Men's 8883 BLK Heel Toe Putter - Fan Shop Golf Items

Wilson Staff Men's 8883 BLK Heel Toe Putter - Fan Shop Golf Items

Wilson Staff Men's 8883 BLK Heel Toe Putter - 888 BLK Putters: classic, proven putter designs designed to perform for player's of all abilities.
Wilson Harmonized Classic Lob Wedge 60 (steel, Chrome, Left) Golf

Wilson Harmonized Classic Lob Wedge 60 (steel, Chrome, Left) Golf

The next generation of FG Tour Wedges - featuring Traction Control (TC) technology which entails spin-enhancing features for all shots. Aggressive Tou...