Wizards Of The Coast Pokemon Zap Theme Deck

HELP ME… I'm drowning in a sea of Pokemon Trading Cards !!!!!

May 27, 2007

Pros:Imaginative, fun, NON-Computerized play !!!!

Cons:Lots of little pieces of "cardboard" scattered EVERYWHERE around the house !

The Bottom Line: Want imaginative game play, with no electronics involved? Look here !!

What’s small, colorful, measures 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches, sparks imaginative play, and is tucked in every imaginable crevice of my house?!?!? Pokemon Trading/Playing Cards!

Our son has become a Pokemon fanatic. He has well over 400 cards (not to mention Pokemon toys, Pokemon video games, Pokemon accessories, Pokemon stuffed animals, and miscellaneous Pokemon "plastic thingies", accumulating within our residence).

There are many, many different varieties of Pokemon Decks available for collection and play (trust me on this one, my son has more than I can mention in one review). For the purposes of this review, we will be discussing his Wizards of the Coast, Pokemon Cards.

This deck, in it's original form, comes with 60 cards, a plastic "PokeCoin", and game play instructions. The instruction booklet has somehow found it's way into the "black hole of things you're forever looking for but will never see again", but our son has no problem remembering the rules of the game.

You can also purchase packs of "refill" or "additional" cards. They come in little foil pouches, containing anywhere from 6 to 10 cards each (depending on the pack).

Also, as I said before, there are many different "series" of Packs, and each has a different "game play". Since our son has SO many cards, he mixes and matches them, and plays with whatever cards suit his fancy.

So, what exactly will you find on a Pokemon Card?

Each card has bright, vibrant colors and illustrations that feature a different Pokemon. You will see what "stage" that Pokemon is in on that card (Pokemon "evolve" the same way that we "grow". They have different stages of life. For example, a Pichu will evolve into a Pikachu, which will later evolve into a Raichu). The cards will also tell you if this particular Pokemon is a "basic" Pokemon, or will say what Pokemon it has evolved from.

Each card will describe a power that that particular Pokemon has, reveal it's "power points", it's weaknesses, and it's resistance. It will also give you tips on "who" or "what" to battle with, and tell you a little "fact" about the species.

For example: (Let me just reach down in between the seat cushions where I'm sitting, I'm sure I can pull up a few Pokemon cards…. ah, yes, here we go….)

Pikachu: a Basic Pokemon. Mouse Pokemon, length 1'4", weight 13 lbs. 50- HP. Weakness - fire attacks. Resistance - none. SPARK - if your opponent has any Benched Pokemon, choose 1 of them and this attack does 10 damage to it. Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon. When several of these Pokemon gather together, their electricity can build and cause lightning storms.

Psyduck: A Basic Pokemon. A duck Pokemon, length 2'7", weight 43lbs. 50-HP. Weakness Electric attacks, Resistance none. HEADACHE: Your opponent can't play trainer cards during his or her next turn. FURY SWIPES: flip 3 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads. While lulling it's enemies with it's vacant look, this wily Pokemon will use psychokinetic powers.

Arcanine: Evolves from Growlithe. A legendary Pokemon. Length 6'3", weight 342lbs. 100-HP. Weakness, Water attacks. Resistance none. FLAMETHOWER: Discard 1 energy card attached to Arcainine in order to do this attack. TAKE DOWN: Arcanine does 30 damage to itself. A pokemon that has been long admired for it's beauty. It runs gracefully, as if on wings.

The deck also includes trainer cards, that give you instructions or moves you must complete. For example:

Professor Oak: Discard your hand, then draw 7 cards. (Basically, you lose all the Pokemon in your hand, and have to start with 7 new ones)

You will also find energy cards, that boost the points/powers of a particular Pokemon that you may have in your "hand", like plant Pokemon, electric Pokemon, fire Pokemon, water Pokemon, etc…. You can use the "energy cards" to double your power points of your attack on your opponent's card.

Game Play consists of one (or many) factors. Flipping the coin, drawing a card, "battling" your Pokemon against your opponent's, and/or using an "energy" card to top your opponent's points.

Again… I will say, that my son has many different decks, so he will often "change" or "substitute" the rules from different decks, in order to win the "battle". Most of the decks have similar rules/moves, but some have a few slight variances. I am slightly confused as to which "rule" goes with which deck. So… this my friends… is why my son almost always WINS when "battling" against MOM !!!!!

So, why do I like these cards so much, even if I'm finding the need to remove them from my bodily crevices when I park my gluteus maximus on the couch, or peel them off the bottom of my bare feet at 3 o'clock in the morning when I venture to the bathroom?….

Well.. frankly… I love to see our son using his own "brain" to play a game. I truly enjoy seeing him get into a game that is not powered by batteries or any other electronic source. Ok, sure, these are based on a cartoon (TV), and Pokemon have a hole schlew of video games that go along with the theme (he has several Nintendo DS Pokemon Cartridges)…. But the cards offer an opportunity to immerse himself in this "world", using his own devices (brain, imagination), without the assistance of mind-numbing electronic devices !!

Do you have a video game freak in your house? Well… get him/her some Pokemon Trading/Playing card decks.. and watch their imagination unfold right before your eyes !!!

Want to learn more about the binders to store your Pokemon cards in? Try here:
Petite Appendages Picked a Pack of Pokemon
An Ode to Pikachu

Don't know exactly what Pokemon is all about? Learn more here:
Pika, Pika…. PikaaaaaCHU

Type of Toy: Other
Age Range of Child: 6 to 8 Years

Pokemon Cards Brushfire Theme Deck 1999, Wizards Of The Coast

Pokemon Cards Brushfire Theme Deck 1999, Wizards Of The Coast

For sale is the pokemon card Brushfire theme deck! This is new and in its original packaging which means it was NEVER opened. As you probably know, th...

Wizards of the Coast Dungeons and Dragons: Legend of Drizzt Board Game 355940000

Wizards of the Coast 355940000 The adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden, as told in the New York Times best-selling Forgotten Reams novels by R.A. Salvatore...
Wayfair

Wizards of the Coast Vegas Showdown Game

Wizards of the Coast Vegas Showdown Game

Enjoy an evening of entertainment by playing the Wizards of the Coast Showdown Vegas Board Game. It is designed for three to five players, allowing yo...

Wizards Of The Coast: Axis & Allies - 1941 Board Game (new)

Wizards Of The Coast: Axis & Allies - 1941 Board Game (new)

Wizards of the Coast: Axis Allies Spring - 1941 Board Game (New) Players: 2-5 Ages 12+ Playing Time: 1-3 Hours Five major powers struggle for supremac...
Mtg Wizards Of The Coast Vintage Wrist Watch Never Been Used In Original Box

Mtg Wizards Of The Coast Vintage Wrist Watch Never Been Used In Original Box

MTG Wizards of the Coast Vintage Wrist Watch Never Been Used in Original Box Rare Promotional Wizards of the Coast wrist watch. In original box and ha...

WIZARDS OF THE COAST Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeon!

WIZARDS OF THE COAST Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeon!

First released in 1975 and revised throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, the Dungeon! boardgame lets you explore a multi-level dungeon in search of tr...
Wizards of the Coast Vegas Showdown Board Game A19220000

Wizards of the Coast Vegas Showdown Board Game A19220000

Wizards of the Coast A19220000 You and a few of your millionaire friends have invested in a plot of land in the heart of Las Vegas. Each of you has o...
Wayfair

Wizards of the Coast Roborally Game

Wizards of the Coast Roborally Game

Get ready for robot vs. robot action with this Wizards of the Coast Roborally Robot Board Game. This imaginative game is a frenzied race full of compu...

Zip Zap The Lightning Fast Card Game

Zip Zap The Lightning Fast Card Game

Sparks are gonna fly in this lightningfast card game Quickly rid your hand of cards by playing numbers in order. Lay down a run and consider yourself ...
Toys R Us