Wizards Of The Coast Pokemon Zap Theme Deck

HELP ME… I'm drowning in a sea of Pokemon Trading Cards !!!!!

May 27, 2007

Pros:Imaginative, fun, NON-Computerized play !!!!

Cons:Lots of little pieces of "cardboard" scattered EVERYWHERE around the house !

The Bottom Line: Want imaginative game play, with no electronics involved? Look here !!

What’s small, colorful, measures 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches, sparks imaginative play, and is tucked in every imaginable crevice of my house?!?!? Pokemon Trading/Playing Cards!

Our son has become a Pokemon fanatic. He has well over 400 cards (not to mention Pokemon toys, Pokemon video games, Pokemon accessories, Pokemon stuffed animals, and miscellaneous Pokemon "plastic thingies", accumulating within our residence).

There are many, many different varieties of Pokemon Decks available for collection and play (trust me on this one, my son has more than I can mention in one review). For the purposes of this review, we will be discussing his Wizards of the Coast, Pokemon Cards.

This deck, in it's original form, comes with 60 cards, a plastic "PokeCoin", and game play instructions. The instruction booklet has somehow found it's way into the "black hole of things you're forever looking for but will never see again", but our son has no problem remembering the rules of the game.

You can also purchase packs of "refill" or "additional" cards. They come in little foil pouches, containing anywhere from 6 to 10 cards each (depending on the pack).

Also, as I said before, there are many different "series" of Packs, and each has a different "game play". Since our son has SO many cards, he mixes and matches them, and plays with whatever cards suit his fancy.

So, what exactly will you find on a Pokemon Card?

Each card has bright, vibrant colors and illustrations that feature a different Pokemon. You will see what "stage" that Pokemon is in on that card (Pokemon "evolve" the same way that we "grow". They have different stages of life. For example, a Pichu will evolve into a Pikachu, which will later evolve into a Raichu). The cards will also tell you if this particular Pokemon is a "basic" Pokemon, or will say what Pokemon it has evolved from.

Each card will describe a power that that particular Pokemon has, reveal it's "power points", it's weaknesses, and it's resistance. It will also give you tips on "who" or "what" to battle with, and tell you a little "fact" about the species.

For example: (Let me just reach down in between the seat cushions where I'm sitting, I'm sure I can pull up a few Pokemon cards…. ah, yes, here we go….)

Pikachu: a Basic Pokemon. Mouse Pokemon, length 1'4", weight 13 lbs. 50- HP. Weakness - fire attacks. Resistance - none. SPARK - if your opponent has any Benched Pokemon, choose 1 of them and this attack does 10 damage to it. Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon. When several of these Pokemon gather together, their electricity can build and cause lightning storms.

Psyduck: A Basic Pokemon. A duck Pokemon, length 2'7", weight 43lbs. 50-HP. Weakness Electric attacks, Resistance none. HEADACHE: Your opponent can't play trainer cards during his or her next turn. FURY SWIPES: flip 3 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads. While lulling it's enemies with it's vacant look, this wily Pokemon will use psychokinetic powers.

Arcanine: Evolves from Growlithe. A legendary Pokemon. Length 6'3", weight 342lbs. 100-HP. Weakness, Water attacks. Resistance none. FLAMETHOWER: Discard 1 energy card attached to Arcainine in order to do this attack. TAKE DOWN: Arcanine does 30 damage to itself. A pokemon that has been long admired for it's beauty. It runs gracefully, as if on wings.

The deck also includes trainer cards, that give you instructions or moves you must complete. For example:

Professor Oak: Discard your hand, then draw 7 cards. (Basically, you lose all the Pokemon in your hand, and have to start with 7 new ones)

You will also find energy cards, that boost the points/powers of a particular Pokemon that you may have in your "hand", like plant Pokemon, electric Pokemon, fire Pokemon, water Pokemon, etc…. You can use the "energy cards" to double your power points of your attack on your opponent's card.

Game Play consists of one (or many) factors. Flipping the coin, drawing a card, "battling" your Pokemon against your opponent's, and/or using an "energy" card to top your opponent's points.

Again… I will say, that my son has many different decks, so he will often "change" or "substitute" the rules from different decks, in order to win the "battle". Most of the decks have similar rules/moves, but some have a few slight variances. I am slightly confused as to which "rule" goes with which deck. So… this my friends… is why my son almost always WINS when "battling" against MOM !!!!!

So, why do I like these cards so much, even if I'm finding the need to remove them from my bodily crevices when I park my gluteus maximus on the couch, or peel them off the bottom of my bare feet at 3 o'clock in the morning when I venture to the bathroom?….

Well.. frankly… I love to see our son using his own "brain" to play a game. I truly enjoy seeing him get into a game that is not powered by batteries or any other electronic source. Ok, sure, these are based on a cartoon (TV), and Pokemon have a hole schlew of video games that go along with the theme (he has several Nintendo DS Pokemon Cartridges)…. But the cards offer an opportunity to immerse himself in this "world", using his own devices (brain, imagination), without the assistance of mind-numbing electronic devices !!

Do you have a video game freak in your house? Well… get him/her some Pokemon Trading/Playing card decks.. and watch their imagination unfold right before your eyes !!!

Want to learn more about the binders to store your Pokemon cards in? Try here:
Petite Appendages Picked a Pack of Pokemon
An Ode to Pikachu

Don't know exactly what Pokemon is all about? Learn more here:
Pika, Pika…. PikaaaaaCHU

Type of Toy: Other
Age Range of Child: 6 to 8 Years

Pokemon Zap Theme Deck

Pokemon Zap Theme Deck

You Are Bidding On:Pokemon Fossil LockDown Theme Deck CHECK SCAN COINand PAPER MONEY SHIPPING Shippingis $3.00 (Canada + Add $1.00)(Multiple Auctions ...