X-Acto 1645: Deluxe Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener Reviews

X-Acto 1645: Deluxe Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener

+$7.95 shipping MyBinding.com

A durable pencil sharpener - best I've found

Feb 23, 2009

Pros:Has lasted longer than any other sharpener I've had

Cons:No colored pencils!, recepticle can jam at times

The Bottom Line: Yes get this - as a school teacher this is the only sharpener that I know to have lasted this long

I teach middle school so it's hard to find a sharpener that will withstand 80+ students sharpening their pencils at least once a week (probably at least 20 students a day).

Over the years we have had a tendency to destroy a sharpener within the first 6 weeks, every year.

This year we decided to purchase sharpeners that were a bit pricier in the hopes that they would last longer.

This one appears to be the longest lasting that I've ever seen.

The sharpener doesn't have any fancy bells or whistles, it's just as loud as other electric sharpeners, it's shaving receptacle is about as large as others, the cord is as long.

However the major difference is that it is now February and my sharpener is still working.

The only complaint that I have is that when the students empty the old shavings there are times (most of the time) that more shavings will fall out from the blades, and when the receptacle is replaced it traps those extra shavings in the back, blocking the hole that tells the sharpener it's safe to work again.

Students have to make sure that they not only empty the recepticle container but that they also gently shake the shavings out of the sharpener itself.  Obviously middle school students don't like to put that much effort out in most cases so the teacher needs to come to the rescue.

I will say that of the 4 of these sharpeners that we bought on my team of teachers 2 are still working and 2 are not.  However, the students are the same.  We have found that if you attempt to sharpen colored pencils in the sharpeners they are more likely to stop working (sooner) and I believe that's what's caused the other two classes to lose their ability to sharpen.

These navy letter size embossed grain covers from GBC add that extra touch to any presentation. Since grain covers are embossed with a subtle leather-...
MyBinding.com