Yamaha YSP-1100 TV Speakers Reviews

Yamaha YSP-1100 TV Speakers

3.1 in a tidy package

Jan 2, 2008 (Updated Jan 2, 2008)
  • User Rating: OK

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Perfect aesthetic compliment to a 46"+ flat screen TV, 180 degree field of sound

Cons:Expensive, wouldn't call it surround sound

The Bottom Line: More sizzle than steak

I finally took the plunge and purchased a YSP-1100 along with a Yamaha YST-FSW100PN last week. Two things made me pull the trigger on this vs. a 5/7.1 system: 1) having speakers around the room was not going to please the wife, and 2) ideally those speakers should be at ear-level, which would further complicate things. The YSP (and the TV) are installed a couple of feet just off center flush against one of four walls in a 20’ X 20’ room, so I felt I had the right room configuration for this.

Installation took about 2 hours, and that is not including the time spent at the electronics store purchasing three component cables and a Toslink digital audio (glass) cable. It only weighs 35 lbs., buy my first impression was, “This thing is heavy!”

First thing I did in installation was connect my satellite receiver (DirecTV HR-20) to the YSP with the component video cables, composite audio cables, as well as the Toslink cable. I was/still am confused why the instructions called for connecting both the Toslink cable and the red/white audio cables, but I did it anyway.

Next was the DVD player (Oppo DV-970HD). I connected the component video cables along with a coaxial digital audio cable. The later came with the YSP and appeared to be just like any other cable with an RCA connection but in this case the connectors are orange.

Connecting the subwoofer to the YSP was just a one wire job which came with the subwoofer. The subwoofer came with another wire to integrate the two systems (i.e., subwoofer powers up/down when the YSP is turned on/off), however, in the YSP instructions it does not allow for this integration.

I then connected the YSP to my TV with the third set of component cables. One of the things I had to go back and do later was to also connect the YSP to my TV with a separate composite (yellow) cable. The setup menu for the YSP will only display on the TV via this cable.

Finally as a redundancy I connected both my satellite and the DVD player directly to the TV via their HDMI connections. Doing the IntelliBeam setup took all of three minutes, and then it was time to hear the results.

At first it was lackluster, but then I took some time to go through the audio setups of the satellite and DVD players. After changing them to output in 5.1, then the results were…stunning?...amazing?...how about pretty good to really good. Amazing would have been my wife reacting the same way she did went from a 27” S-video connected CRT to the 50” 720p plasma. We both still make comments like “That’s a great picture!” regarding our plasma TV after having it a couple of months. She does concede that it’s better than just the TV’s speakers, but the improvement doesn’t add much value to her in-home movie experience.

As for me, I think the sound experience takes in-home movies to the next level. I agree with my wife that going HD on the video side was a “WOW!” experience and well worth the $2,500 we put on the counter. This elicits a “cool” response for me and has been worth the $1,200+ we’ve paid (including extra cables). The sound experience is like a 180 degree zone where you feel like you are hearing things from your 9 o’clock all the way around to your 3 o’clock. In the couple of movies I have watched, I have yet to hear anything that made me want to turn my head behind me. Maybe that’s because of an armoire on a side wall or the book case on the back wall. It will be interesting to see in a couple of month after we remove these pieces if the listening experience changes. Maybe I could have enjoyed the same results with a 3.1 system, but again I’m pretty happy with the results so far. Even with a 3.1 the left right speaker needed to be a certain length apart, and we didn’t want speakers everywhere.

One of the things that puzzles me is that I am not getting a picture on my TV when I select the YSP as the input via component cables. I have worked around this by selecting the HDMI inputs from the video source directly, but that means all the trouble I went to with the component cables was for naught.

***6-month UPDATE***

My enthusiasm for this product has waned since purchase. There is no rear-channel effect, and only occassionally do I hear a left/right effects. This is setup in a 20' x 20' room - I thought a perfect situation. My wife just considers this "loud", therefore when we're watching a DVD I just keep this off.

Yamaha WF756400 Remote Control Ysp 800 Rrc4001

Yamaha WF756400 Remote Control Ysp 800 Rrc4001

Yamaha WF756400 Remote Control Ysp 800 Rrc4001 Remote Control Ysp-800 Rrc4001
Yamaha - YSP-2500 7.1 Channel Soundbar With Wireless Subwoofer, Speaker/Monitor Cabinets

Yamaha YSP-2500 7.1 Channel Soundbar With Wireless Subwoofer The Yamaha YSP-2500 reproduces overwhelmingly real presence and impact-filled bass sound....

Yamaha Ysp-4300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer

Yamaha Ysp-4300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer

Yamaha YSP-4300 Digital Sound Projector with Wireless Subwoofer Safe shipping Live, expert advice Award-winning customer service What's in the box... ...

Newegg.com

Yamaha YSP-2500  Soundbar with Bluetooth & wireless sub

Yamaha YSP-2500 Soundbar with Bluetooth & wireless sub

Soundbar with Bluetooth & wireless sub 7.1-channel sound bar and wireless subwoofer,sound bar's 16 beam drivers can be optimized to reflect sound off ...
Crutchfield

Yamaha - YSP-4300 Digital Sound Projector & Wireless Active Subwoofer, 7.1 Output Channel,

Yamaha YSP-4300 Digital Sound Projector & Wireless Active Subwoofer, 7.1 Output Channel, 324W Total Output Power, HDMI, Front USB Port The Yamaha YSP-...
Adorama

Yamaha - YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector & Wireless Active Subwoofer, 7.1 Output Channel,

Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector & Wireless Active Subwoofer, 7.1 Output Channel, 262W Total Output Power, HDMI with 4K Pass-Through The Yamaha...

Yamaha YSP-3300  Soundbar with wireless subwoofer

Yamaha YSP-3300 Soundbar with wireless subwoofer

Soundbar with wireless subwoofer full 7.1 surround performance from a single amplified sound bar and subwoofer - ideal for TVs 40 and up,total of 18 d...

Yamaha YSP-4300  Soundbar with wireless subwoofer

Yamaha YSP-4300 Soundbar with wireless subwoofer

Soundbar with wireless subwoofer full 7.1 surround performance from a single amplified sound bar and subwoofer - ideal for TVs 46 and up,total of 25 d...
Crutchfield

Yamaha - Wall Mount Bracket for YSP-4300 & YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector, New Products

Yamaha Wall Mount Bracket for YSP-4300 & YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector The Yamaha SPM-K20 is a wall mount bracket that lets you safely and easily m...