Yukon Angled Leg Press ALP-150 Reviews

Yukon Angled Leg Press ALP-150

What Angle of Your Legs Feels Best?

Feb 9, 2006

Pros:Has commercial quality safety locks; high maximum weight user; comfortable.

Cons:No place to put the plates.

The Bottom Line: This is a great leg press by Yukon. It's close to being of commercial quality in my opinion.

In my review of Yukon’s Vertical Leg Press I mentioned that their Angled Leg Press was a better product. Although I recommended the Vertical Press with an average rating since then I have changed my rating. I will be comparing the two machines to help you see the difference, in my opinion, of a potentially dangerous machine and a one that is built well. I am putting this product, Yukon Angled Leg Press ALP in bold to avoid confusion.

What is a leg press:

Leg Presses are a standard, classic exercise that can be done in various ways. The reason we do leg presses is because they are perhaps the most effective way to build our thighs (quadriceps), butt (glutes) hamstrings (back of thighs) and calves. Many people have trouble with squats which also build thighs but can cause a lot of strain on the back. I can do leg presses with a lot of weight and not nearly the kind of strain I feel when doing squats. A leg press requires me to push weights with my legs. The Yukon Angled Leg Press (ALP-150) uses separate plates rather than a stack of weights or cables.

About the Angled Leg Press by Yukon:

The ALP measures 85 inches high by 68 inches wide by 49 inches deep. This is a larger machine than the Vertical Leg Press. It is about 17 inches higher; the same width but 9 inches deeper. The ALP is considerably heavier at 175 pounds versus 91 pounds. The maximum weight capacity of the Angled Press is 800 pounds which is 200 pounds more than the Vertical Leg Press. They are both well made as are most of Yukon’s products in my opinion. They are both made with solid chrome and steel tubing.

Let’s use Yukon’s Angled Leg Press:

Unlike many machines I don’t have to adjust seats or the height of a cable. I lie down on a large and very comfortable pad. This vinyl pad is thick and moisture resistant. Having written that which is one of Yukon’s claims if I am sweating, the pad is going to be damp. However the vinyl is thick enough (marine quality) so that the sweat shouldn’t go through the vinyl. The Angled Leg Press machines which I have seen have been in great condition with no obvious wear and odor free.

Unlike the Vertical Leg Press which has an angled head rest the Angled Leg Press has a flat head rest. I personally don’t prefer one over the other. I have used both. Neither affects my workout.

I did however like the head rest on the Vertical Leg Press in terms of comfort. I wouldn’t buy the VLP over the ALP because of the head rest. The head rest on the Angled Leg Rest is adjustable. This is a nice feature. I don’t recall any of the leg presses even at the gyms I go to that have leg press machines with adjustable head rests.

Once I am lying down I put my feet under what is called a foot plate. The bottom of my sneakers are touching this plate. The plate on Yukon’s Leg Press has a nice tread for safety. I have always felt secure using this piece. The foot plate on the Angled Leg Press seems a little larger than that of the Vertical Leg Press. This would make sense since it is an overall larger machine. The back pad is slightly angled which makes the machine more comfortable than those with flat pads. I find that the position of the pad lessens the strain on my back. It is at a 7 degree angle which is just enough to make a difference.

In spite of the Leg Press not being so hard on my back I still have to be careful and press only as much weight as I can do safely. I urge you to do the same. I also urge you to talk with your doctor is you are just starting an exercise program.

The ALP has two sets of handles. The higher handles help me get up off the machine and give me something to hold onto as I lie down. Both sets have foam covered handles are not familiar with the leg press machine but would like to own one briefly the way they work is simple. I have my feet on the footplate and push up with plates on each side of a bar. As I bring the foot plate down I am able to lock the position in place with the bottom handles. This means that if for some reason my feet slipped or I reached fatigue and I couldn’t safely lower the foot plate, it would not fall on me. It would stop at the point I locked the machine in. This is a major difference between the Vertical and Angled Leg Press. Although the VLP has three locking positions don’t get that confused with locking the foot plate in position. All that means is that the foot plate can be positioned in 3 places but there is nothing stopping it from falling on me.

Holding the handles (no gloves needed) I bend my knees and lower the weight I have put on the machine as far as I can without my hips changing positions. I don’t lower the weight so far that my hips start to come off the seat either. I then press the weight back up using my heels not my toes. I am careful not to push with my knees either or of crossing my arms because that will limit my range of motion. Although my legs are extended I don’t lock my knees. I do this movement up and down slowly.

More about the machine:

Both machines have chrome slides which go into tubes. I have found them to go in and out smoothly. Over time there could be some noise or it may not be as smooth as it once was. Just a little W D-40 should fix that for you. In fact I was asked via e-mail about a squeak in another machine and I recommended W D-40 so give this a try before you call service.

This machine only accepts Olympic plates. The Vertical Leg Press accepts standard and Olympic plates. They will cost you a bit of money but it is worth the money rather than choosing the Vertical Leg Press.

Unlike many commercial leg presses and just like the Vertical Leg Press there is no place to hold the plates when you aren’t using them or if you aren’t using all the weights you might use. For example if I start out with 90 pounds I can’t put the other 90 anywhere but on the floor or a dumbbell tree which is a good investment and which I will review at some point.

Yukon has a limited lifetime warranty on its products.

Jo’s final thoughts:

The Angled Leg Press sells for $400 which is almost twice that of the Vertical Leg Press. Since I am not recommending the VLP then of course I think that $400 is a reasonable price for this machine. In reality many universal machines have a leg press built in. However you will notice that a universal machine’s leg press will usually not be the same quality is a stand alone machine and certainly not one by Yukon.

Please feel free to leave me a question or comment. I do not work for Yukon or have any interest in the status of this company.

Other YUKON Product Reviews:

Yukon Angled Back MachineYukon Inversion TableYukon Competitor Lat Pull Down MachineYukon Economy Lat Pull Down MachineYukon Seated Calf MachineMulti Station YukonYukon Chin Dip Leg MachineYukon Ab Crunch Machine

Thanks for reading. All my fitness equipment reviews can be found here.

Genuine Yukon Professional Alp-150 Angled Leg Press Workout Bench Machine

Genuine Yukon Professional Alp-150 Angled Leg Press Workout Bench Machine

Chareter AMG Store About Us Live Auctions Specials eBay Store FEEDBACK CONTACT US Our STORE Apparel Automotive Baby Photography Electronics Home Home ...

Yukon Fitness Angled Leg Press Machine Alp-150 -

Yukon Fitness Angled Leg Press Machine Alp-150 -

Order Now to Guarantee This Low Price!! This product is completely new and we are an authorized dealer. This item will ship in 3-7 business days of ha...