Zoom ADSL X5 5654 4-Port 10/100 Wired Router (5654-00-00BG)

Replacement DSL Modem for PacBell/SBC/AT&T DSL 2Wire 1000S - AMAZING

Mar 28, 2007 (Updated Apr 17, 2007)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Installation wizard, admin console, advanced setup, size, modem/firewall/router/hub combo.

Cons:Kept dropping DSL connection.

The Bottom Line: If you need to replace your Pacbell/SBC/AT&T modem, the Zoom 5654 X5 initially works. I experienced loss of connection and was not able to troubleshoot, so I returned the unit.

I had to replace my SBC 2Wire 1000s modem. It was not allowing full bandwidth from what the AT&T line testers said I could get. AT&T wouldn't replace (too old) and they wouldn't make a deal to upgrade to a new plan (so I can take advantage of a modem rebate). No dice.

So, I did not want to give AT&T money for a replacement modem. They didn't deserve my money. But, I needed to find something compatible with my PacBell/SBC/AT&T DSL line. I read stories of modems not working so I did my research. I found the Zoom 5654 X5, with the help of genebob's epinion's review (thanks).

Description:
The Zoom 5654 X5 is a perfect replacement to the 2wire 1000s or any SBC DSL modem for that matter. It is a ADSL modem, firewall, router, and 4-port hub. Compatible with PacBell/SBC/AT&T DSL network. The box says that it's compatible with most ADSL services. About the size of a small paperback. It also has a USB connection that will allow you to network via USB.

Installation:
Holy Wizards, Batman! Installation was flawless. All I remember was clicking "Automatically Configure", the software processing, then being prompted for my SBC Yahoo DSL login/password. DONE. I was surfing at 1536 Kbps (full bandwidth).
Amazing, simply amazing. My mom could do this if she had to.

Tools:
It get's better. If you're a computer control freak, the admin console/webpage will allow you to configure/monitor/administer all aspects of network traffic through the box. It makes me want to take a network engineering class to get the full potential out of all the bells and whistles (or read the .pdf manual). But, for regular Joes, the default settings will work just fine.

The only issue is the price. I paid Staples prices ($80) because I had a gift card from them and I wanted it immediately. I know I could have saved cash if I bought online. Believe me, worth every penny I didn't give to AT&T.

If you ever are in a situation where your DSL modem gives out on you, I highly recommend the ZOOM 5654 X5.

Zoom, if you are reading this, keep doing what you're doing.

------Update 4/17
The router / modem kept dropping the connection. I had to revert to purchasing a SBC modem. Dropping the raving review to 3 stars. Couldn't figure out if it was they way I configured the box or if it was the device itself. Too bad.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

ADSL2/2 4-Port Gateway

The D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/4-Port Router, TR067/TR069.
Cisco 1721-ADSL 10/100 BaseT Modular ADSL Router, CISCO1721-ADSL=

Cisco 1721-ADSL 10/100 BaseT Modular ADSL Router, CISCO1721-ADSL=

Cisco 1721-ADSL 10/100 BaseT, Modular ADSL Bundle
RoutersWholesale.com

ADSL2/2 4-Port Gateway

The D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/4-Port Router, TR067/TR069.

Sophie Systems

Zoom 98208 ADSL Filter

Zoom 98208 ADSL Filter

The model 98208 is a 5-pack of ADSL in-line filters which are used to improve the performance of ADSL modems and prevent interference of voice calls i...
Office Depot

Zoom Telephonics 98208 Adsl Filters 5 Pack

Zoom Telephonics 98208 Adsl Filters 5 Pack

Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information ZOOM TELEPHONICS 98208 ADSL FILTERS 5 PACK Item#: 1018543 Brand: ZOOM TELE...

Adsl2/2 4-port Gateway

Adsl2/2 4-port Gateway

D-Link, MPN: DSL-2540B
Zoom 98207 ADSL Filter

Zoom 98207 ADSL Filter

The Model 98207 is a bulk pack of fifty ADSL in-line filters which are used to improve the performance of ADSL modems and prevent interference on voic...
Office Depot

Sophie Systems

D-Link DSL-2540B DSL-2540B ADSL2/2+ Modem with 4-Port Ethernet Router

D-Link DSL-2540B DSL-2540B ADSL2/2+ Modem with 4-Port Ethernet Router

The D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem with 4-Port Ethernet Router (DSL-2540B) is a 2-in-1 device that combines the function of a DSL modem and 4-port 10/100 Ether...
MacMall