ZOTAC GeForce 6100 Value, AM2/AM2+, AMD (GF6100-B-E) Motherboard Reviews

ZOTAC GeForce 6100 Value, AM2/AM2+, AMD (GF6100-B-E) Motherboard

Good choice for a budget-priced AMD motherboard!

Apr 23, 2010

Pros:Low price, full-featured BIOS, decent instructions

Cons:Very basic board, only 2 DIMM slots, no firewire

The Bottom Line: Cheap way to run AMD's latest CPUs and upgrade or fix an older PC.  Basic, but all many people need.

I recently had a mini-tower PC (Athlon 64 3200+) start failing on me (kept powering itself off randomly without warning) - and after doing much part-swapping, determined it was a defective motherboard.  I didn't want to spend much on a repair, but found a sale at the local Micro Center store on AMD Phenom II processors combined with new motherboard purchases.  They had this Zotac GF6100-B-E motherboard on sale for $39 instead of their usual $49 price, and with the combo sale, I basically got it FREE!

My initial impression upon unboxing it was positive.  It includes not only an owner's manual, but a second "quick start" guide as well.  The included EIDE cable is bright orange (an interesting touch).  Of course, a driver CD is also included.

This is a very minimalist motherboard.  You get 2 PCI slots, plus a PCIe video slot, and only 2 SATA connectors, plus 1 EIDE connector.  It has built-in ethernet, but it's 10/100, not gigabit.  It has built-in sound support, but you'll probably run into some issues, even with Windows 7, if you don't visit the Zotac web site and download the latest driver for it instead of using what's auto-detected for it.  It doesn't even have a built-on 9-pin serial port, though it does have a motherboard header for one, if you purchase a separate port to attach to it.  No firewire either, and though it has built on VGA (GeForce 6100 series) accelerated 3D graphics, it doesn't include a DVI or HDMI video connector.  It does have your typical 4 USB ports built onto the back of it, plus 2 motherboard headers to attach up to 4 more of them, if your case has them on it.  Also, it's probably worth noting that it does NOT have a built-on PC speaker ... only a 4-pin connector for one.  I mention this because my mini-tower case has no PC speaker on it. So I had to spend $2.50 for a little piezo-speaker soldered to short wires and a 4-pin plug to attach to the board, so I could hear the start-up beep, or any error beeps it might have been sounding at boot-up.  (My last motherboard had a little piezo type speaker built onto the motherboard itself.)

I purchased 4GB of DDR2-800 memory (A-Data brand) to use with it.  It only has 2 DIMM slots and supports a 4GB maximum capacity.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the board to fire up with both memory sticks in the sockets.  It worked fine with just one of them, however - so I'm running it like that, with 2GB of RAM, for now.

I was pleased with the BIOS on this motherboard.  It has *loads* of options, and although I haven't tried it yet - should actually be fairly overclocking-friendly.

Windows 7 installed on it without a hitch, and the system seems to be running quickly and reliably.  Obviously, this isn't the motherboard you want if you're trying to build a "power user" machine -- but it seems like a solid choice to do a cheap repair on a basic desktop or tower, and supports all the latest AMD processors.

Zotac Nf750a-a-e Am2+/am2 Nvidia Nforce 750a Sli Hdmi Atx Amd Motherboard

Zotac Nf750a-a-e Am2+/am2 Nvidia Nforce 750a Sli Hdmi Atx Amd Motherboard

NEW IN RETAIL BOX. ZTC-NF750A-A-E-00 Model Brand ZOTAC Model NF750A-A-E Supported CPU CPU Socket Type AM2+/AM2 CPU Type Phenom / Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon...

ZOTAC GF6100-F-E Socket AM3/AM2+ GeForce 6100/DDR3/A&V&L/Micro ATX Motherboard NM10-A-E-ION

Zotac Nf610i-d-e Lga 775 Nvidia Geforce 7050 Mini Itx Intel Motherboard

Zotac Nf610i-d-e Lga 775 Nvidia Geforce 7050 Mini Itx Intel Motherboard

NEW IN RETAIL BOX. ZTC-NF610I-D-E-00 Model Brand ZOTAC Model NF610I-D-E Supported CPU CPU Socket Type LGA 775 FSB 1333/1066MHz Chipsets Chipset NVIDIA...

Zotac H67itx-c-e H67 Lga1155 Max-16gb

Zotac H67itx-c-e H67 Lga1155 Max-16gb

Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information ZOTAC H67ITX-C-E H67ITX-C-E H67 LGA1155 MAX-16GB Item#: 1052295 Brand: ZOT...

Zotac Gf6100-f-e Am3 Geforce 6100 / Nforce 430 Micro Atx Motherboard

Zotac Gf6100-f-e Am3 Geforce 6100 / Nforce 430 Micro Atx Motherboard

NEW IN RETAIL BOX. PACKAGE: BOARD, DRIVERS CD, MANUAL, I/O SHIELD, SATA CABLE, IDE CABLE. Sku ZTC-GF6100-F-E-00 Model Brand ZOTAC Model GF6100-F-E Sup...

Zotac FUSION350-A-E AMD E-350 AMD M1 SATA3 and USB 3.0 Wi-Fi A&V&GbE Mini ITX Motherboard

Zotac H67itx-c-e Desktop Motherboard - Intel H67 Express Chipset - (h67itxce)

Zotac H67itx-c-e Desktop Motherboard - Intel H67 Express Chipset - (h67itxce)

Browse our Store | Ask a Question | Return Policy | Promotions | About Us Product Description Specification Payment Shipping Returns Zotac H67ITX-C-E ...

E90041 Zotac H67itx-c-e - Lga 1155 Intel H67 Chipset Mini Itx Intel Desktop Moht

Zotac H67ITX-C-E - LGA 1155 Intel H67 chipset mini ITX Intel Desktop Mohterboard (H67ITX-C-E)(New-Retail) Description: Zotac H67ITX-C-E - LGA 1155 Int...