Mar 29, 2009

Pros:clear, understandable language is used

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn is intended to instruct knitters, whatever their level of expertise, toward creative knitting

Jacqueline Fee - The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn is intended to instruct knitters, whatever their level of expertise, toward creative knitting using their present knowledge and building on it to construct designs of their own creation.

I personally am very fond of raglan and/or Scandinavian type yoke sweaters knit in one piece from the neck down. I am an experienced knitter, and have produced many raglan sweaters ranging from the one my three pound preemie wore to the larger (much larger) ones my grown sons and Husband wear today. I have enjoyed reading this informative book very much.

The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn is not a how-to or learn to knit book per se. The text begins with the supposition that knitters using the work have some understanding and basic knitting skills and leads the reader to the how-to for leaving reliance on the patterns of others and toward designing their own sweaters.

Needle artist, writer Fee offers easy to follow instructions for creating a - sweater sampler - using double pointed or circular needles as she teaches the construction method for knitting a seamless sweater. The sweater sampler offers less experienced knitters opportunity to learn and practice how to cast on, and bind off, increase, decrease, try different types of ribbing, shape, create a variety of edgings as they begin to understand what knitting is really all about.

Directions are provided so knitters can create sweaters of their own design using yarns of choice and in patterns of choice whether geometric, Fair Isle, cable, blocks, stripes or one color plain stockinet stitch. I have been designing my own sweaters for many years and am happy to locate a book providing novice knitters, or those who have not produced raglan sleeve styles before, or have never tried designing their own pieces; a workable alternative to always relying on the designs of others. Designs of others are fine, nevertheless it is when the knitter begins to craft their own designs that the joy of knitting really becomes just that; joy of knitting.

The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn does include some specific sweater patterns, which may or may not, appeal to the knitter. Liking a particular stripe, block or other pattern is not relevant to this particular work; gaining an understanding for sweater construction is the pertinent point of the book.

Knitters are provided opportunity to understand just how to go about creating their own designs using any yarn of choice.  Specific designs can be worked out to suit the particular liking of the knitter. I particularly like intricate, colorful Fair Isle patterns, I often adapt whatever I am to using Fair Isle designs. The next knitter may really enjoy stripes; the pattern construction lends itself to whatever is the favored product outcome desired.

Directions provided are understandable and the technique presented by the author is an excellent choice for novice knitters as they embark upon producing that first sweater. Creating a sweater using the knitters own measurements, or the measurements of the intended wearer insures that the garment will fit.

Hand knits insure that length of sleeves can be shortened or lengthened depending on the actual arm to cover. Length of the body of the sweater from underarm to ribbing can be designed to fit at the waistline, below the belt, on the belt or halfway down the thigh should that be the desired look.

While I do not dislike knitting using line by line directions; I do loathe knitting pieces of a sweater which then must be cobbled together to create the garment. Invariably seams are not as nice as hoped for.

Writer Fee suggests using a 24 inch circular needle for making sweaters. I prefer using a 16 inch, bamboo, for the upper part of the sweater and then change to the longer one as I continue from the underarm. Even when I make sweaters for 6' 2" Husband and Sons I begin with the shorter needle. I don't like circular needles longer than 24 inches for the reason that the longer ones always seem to curl as I work. The shorter needles remain straight causing the knitting go much easier.

Using Writer Fee's technique; cardigans and pullovers that fit well, look good and are easy to construct are possible for even the novice knitter. Experienced knitters will enjoy renewing their understanding and expertise for the craft we enjoy.

Happy to recommend The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn.

===========================
Reviewed by Molly's Reviews
molly   martin
===========================

Product Details
Title:  The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own With Any Yarn
Author: Jacqueline Fee

Paperback: 208 pages

For more product details, facts, and shipping information please check the Amazon  SEE IT button

Sweater Workshop, sewn eBook

Sweater Workshop, sewn eBook

Buy Sweater Workshop, sewn by Jacqueline Fee and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million...
Kobo eBooks

Book annotation not available for this title. Title: The Sweater Workshop Author: Fee, Jacqueline Publisher: Natl Book Network Publication Date: 2002/...
The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz

The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz

Free Delivery Worldwide : The Blue Sweater : Paperback : RODALE PRESS : 9781605294766 : 1605294764 : 16 Feb 2010 : Eleven years after donating her blu...
BookDepository.com

Nasty Gal Nasty Gal Jacqueline Crop Sweater

Look awesome in this ah-mazing green crop sweater featuring a racer back and ribbing at hem. Stretch fabric; unlined. By Nasty Gal. . Cotton/Acrylic. ...
Nasty Gal