As Seen On TV Handy Stitch Mechanical Sewing Machine Reviews

As Seen On TV Handy Stitch Mechanical Sewing Machine

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

HANDY STITCH MECHANICAL SEWING MACHINE~~Not Handy At All

Oct 20, 2005

Pros:none

Cons:it doesn't work, it is hard to thread

The Bottom Line: I don't recommend the Handy Stitch. I couldn't get it to work.

I absolutely hate to sew. I am not good at it. However, with kids, I find myself hemming and mending quite often. When I discovered the Handy Stitch Mechanical Sewing Machine, I thought I had found the perfect solution to my problem. I could perform all of those sordid sewing tasks with ease, instead of using a needle and thread. I was sorely mistaken.

I purchased this little machine about a year ago for around $20.00. I had seen them advertised on TV for quite some time, but I waited until they came out in the stores before I made my purchase. I am so glad that I did.

The Handy Stitch is a marvel idea. It is a handheld sewing machine that runs on 4AA or an AC adaptor. You can take it anywhere while using the batteries or plug it in while sitting somewhere mending clothes, etc.

It comes complete with:
the Handy Stitch
4 Steel Bobbins
3 Sewing Needles
1 Needle Threader
1 Extra spool pin for regular size thread

For me, the problem lies with threading the needle and bobbin. The machine is so tiny that threading the needle is very difficult. Getting the machine ready to sew is nearly impossible, at least for me. I don't know how anyone else is able to do it. On TV, they made it all look so easy, of course, on TV, they always do.

I did finally get it set up...or at least I think that I did. It looked like it but since the machine didn't perform, I can't be sure.

I first tested the machine out on some scrap material. I wanted to be sure that I could use it before trying something important.

The needle kept getting stuck in the material. It was just cotton material, so it really shouldn't have done that. Next, all of the stitches that I did fell out.

By this time, I was quite upset. I enlisted the help of my mother, who is very good with a sewing machine. She couldn't get it to work either.

As I said earlier, the Handy Stitch is a marvel idea. It is lightweight and can go anywhere, indoors or outdoors. It is advertised to be able to sew curtains still hanging on their rods or mending a pair of pants without having to remove them and so much more.

However, I couldn't get it to work at all.

Since I purchased it at a local store, I was able to return it for a full refund.

Perhaps some people can get this machine to work. I wasn't one of those people. I certainly can't recommend this.

I will continue to use my handy needle and thread. This works for me. For larger things? Well, there are seamstresses out there, thankfully.

Thanks for reading!

Introducing the New Handy Stitch - Cordless, hand-held sewing machine thats so compact it fits in the palm of your hand. Great for beginners or expert...