Altec Lansing iMW725 inMotion Air Speaker

The Altec Lansing inMotion Air Universal Wireless Speaker (IMW725) is a Useful and Good Product

Aug 23, 2011

Pros:Great sound, wireless, three ways to connect, portable, practical, flexible, light weight, stylish, good range.

Cons:Battery built in, USB Transmitter a little wide, deep bass lacking

The Bottom Line:

You can connect to the Altec Lansing inMotion Air Universal Wireless Speaker in three different ways; USB Transmitter, Bluetooth, or AUX jack, which gives you many options.

Universal Wireless Speakers can be used for a variety of purposes. They can be connected to many kinds of devices and don't require wires. I use the Altec Lansing IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker that I received from the Amazon.com Vine program one month ago as a loud speaker for the computer, and as a computer driven boom box, as well as a loud speaker for the kid's iPhones. However, it can be connected and used with essentially any Bluetooth enabled audio device, various smart phones, an iPad, iPod Touch, any computer with a USB port (using the included USB transmitter), and by using the AUX jack you can also connect it to many other audio devices. In my judgment these stereo speakers have excellent sound and are quite practical.

Overview of the IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker

The Altec Lansing inMotion Air Universal Wireless Speaker is a Bluetooth (class 1) enabled speaker that can be connected to a computer via an USB transmitter (wireless). The USB transmitter is included and the stated range when using a USB transmitter is 100 meters (333 feet). Using a Bluetooth enabled device (iPhone, other smart phone, iPod Touch, etc) you can connect to the speakers without using the USB transmitter. For example, on the iPhone you select Settings/Network and then you pair up the iPhone and the speakers by selecting Bluetooth on the iPhone and pressing the pairing button (second from left that says "SOURCE/PAIR") on the speakers. The stated range when using this method is 10 meters (33 feet). A third way to connect to the Altec Universal Wireless Speaker is by using the AUX jack at the back of the speakers. I should add that when you use the USB transmitter you do not need to press the pairing button, it happens automatically.

Included in the package are the speakers, an AC Adapter, the USB Transmitter, and a remote control. The Altec Universal Wireless Speaker comes with a built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that allegedly last seven hours. The battery has to be fully charged before first time use. It is supposed to take a few hours. I left it overnight so I don't know. The USB Transmitter is wider than a normal sized USB flash drive so if it is tight between your USB ports you may have a crowding issue.

The speaker has the following buttons; power on/off, pairing button, volume down, volume up, track back, track forward, and play/pause. The remote control has the following buttons; power on/off, source button, volume down, volume up, track back, track forward, play/pause, mute, ESS button, and the launch button. The launch button is used to launch your music application (windows media player etc) remotely. This works only with Windows.

The Altec Universal Wireless Speaker also has a handle for carrying underneath as well as a storage compartment for the remote. The Altec Universal Wireless Speaker is 13 inch wide and 4 inch tall (3.5 inch thick). It is surprisingly light weight and comes in under four pounds. I guess the fact that it does not have extra features like a CD player, radio, etc, but is just speakers, makes it possible to be so light weight. All these features and measurements mean that the Altec Universal Wireless Speaker is very portable as well.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker Look Stylish

The Altec Lansing inMotion Air Universal Wireless Speaker closely resembles a parallelepiped that is not too far from being a rectangular cuboid. Well, there is also the cut corner right below the buttons but it only looks slick. The flat planes make it different from the many players and speakers that have round features now a day, at the same time as it does not have the boring box look. The silver gray color and the few buttons and the small LED's also make it so that it does not look "busy". The handle is consistent with the overall design and is designed as a groove inside the speaker and the compartment is well hidden. Overall I think it looks stylish. Clearly a good artist designed the look.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker is Practical and Portable

As mentioned, the Altec Lansing inMotion Air Universal Wireless Speaker can be used for multiple purposes. The USB Transmitter, the Bluetooth capability, and AUX jack make it so that you can use this speaker with many different kinds of devices and for multiple purposes. The fact that there are no wires at all unless you use the AUX jack, or you are charging it, makes it practical and portable. The quick and easy pairing to audio devices also makes it practical. The light weight and the handle also add to the portability. In general this is a great practical and useful item.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker Range

As mentioned the range when using the USB Transmitter is supposed to be 100 meters. I have not tested that claim. All I know is that I have a good connection anywhere in our house. The stated range for the iPhone (and other Bluetooth enabled devices), which is 10 meters, was a little bit easier to test. I've had a good connection up to about 10 meters with one or two walls in between.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker Sound Quality is Good

Probably the most important aspect of any speaker is the sound. Considering the size of the speakers you cannot expect good deep bass. Also it does not have special features like adjustment between Bass and Treble and you cannot turn up the volume as high as some people may want (not me). However, it is fair to compare it with other similar sized speakers and in that regard the sound quite good. The speaker has an ESS option and the Apt-X codec technology ensures that the streaming is smooth. The sound is crisp, clear, and not the slightest bit tinny or muffled. For regular home use the speakers are more than adequate in my opinion.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker; Miscellaneous Complaints

I don't have much negative to say about the IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker but the fact that the battery is built in will constitute a problem when it has to be replaced, and eventually it will. The fact that the USB transmitter is fairly wide compared to other things you connect to your USB ports might be an issue in some situations.

The IMW725 Universal Wireless Speaker Conclusion

I got this product for free in exchange for an objective review so I did not pay anything. However, I like this wireless speaker and if someone stole it from me I would buy it. Therefore, I give this wireless speaker a high recommendation.

Altec Lansing Imw355-black Orbit Bt Speaker Blk

Altec Lansing Imw355-black Orbit Bt Speaker Blk

- Good Luck Bargains Thru service we grow We have thousands of items up for sale on eBay. All with great rates and free shipping. Altec Lansing IMW355...

Altec Lansing IMW545 Portable Stereo Bluetooth speaker

Altec Lansing IMW545 Portable Stereo Bluetooth speaker

Portable Stereo Bluetooth speaker MPN: IMW545 Brand: ALTEC LANSING UPC: 021331181152
Altec Lansing Acs 90 Computer Speakers In Sealed Box

Altec Lansing Acs 90 Computer Speakers In Sealed Box

Here is a great pair of Altec Lansing speakers new in the original box unopened. GOOD LUCK!

Altec Lansing Orbit Bluetooth Speaker - Black (IMW355-BLK)

Altec Lansing Orbit Bluetooth Speaker - Black (IMW355-BLK)

Find speakers at Target.com! The orbit bluetooth speaker is light enough to carry with you anywhere. A carabineer clip will let you attach it to any b...

ALTEC LANSING IMW455 JACKET BT STEREO SPKR

ALTEC LANSING IMW455 JACKET BT STEREO SPKR

Altec Lansing The Jacket Speaker System - Wireless Speaker(s) - Black, Red
Altec Lansing Computer Speaker Set Ada215 Factory Sealed Box Dpn 0r0240

Altec Lansing Computer Speaker Set Ada215 Factory Sealed Box Dpn 0r0240

The Altec Lansing ADA215 speakers for computers can be used for professional as well as entertainment purposes. With maximum sound output of 3-watts, ...

Altec Lansing Wired 2-piece White Computer Speaker System 3.5mm 65db 120v Acs21w

The Altec Lansing ACS21W computer speakers deliver crisp and clear audio output with excellent stereo effect. These Altec Lansing speakers are suitabl...

Altec Lansing Vs4621 Octane 7, 2.1 Computer Speaker In Box

Altec Lansing Vs4621 Octane 7, 2.1 Computer Speaker In Box

Enjoy lifelike acoustics with the 2.1-channel Altec Lansing Octane 7 speakers that deliver amazing sound output. The engineered micro drivers of these...

Altec Lansing Technologies Fx3022 Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass 2-way Speaker

The Altec Lansing FX3022 Expressionist Bass Speakers features twin desktop speakers with subwoofers built right in. That?s right, the bass is in the b...