Amazon Kindle 4 6" eBook Reader (B0051QVESA)

Amazon Kindle 4: The Best E Reader Ever

Feb 6, 2012

Pros:Easy to Read, Size, Price

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: The Amazon Kindle 4 ebook reader is the best!

I never thought that I could make the switch from traditional books, to all of the e-readers that are now available. About a year and a half ago, I purchased a Kindle 3, and that notion quickly went out the window. After a slight accident, that was my fault completely, I had no choice but to purchase another e-reader. Price was an important aspect, but also the fact that I loved my Kindle, and played with my brother's competitor's product. It was a horrible experience. Amazon came back into the picture. I decided instead of ordering directly from them, to purchase it in a store, and haven't looked back. In fact, I am happy to report that this is the best E Reader, and am more than thrilled with it.

The Unit

I can't believe how small this is. Compared with the previous generation, kudos to the folks at Amazon for making this book sized. It is easily a inch shorter than the previous one, and is a bit thinner. I like how it is less hefty in weight, and how the materials are still of fine quality. You can certainly put this through some reading and potential abuse, but of course it makes sense to purchase a case with this device. The screen is the same size, so there's no worries about not being able to read it. Of course, eye glasses and how easy it is to change the font size, make that no problem at all for anyone.

Ease of Operation

At first I was worried it didn't have the keyboard. The other one did, and yet the learning curve was easy with this one. There are just five buttons on the bottom of the screen. These include the following features: back, keyboard, settings(turn kindle store/wi fi on), and "home." In the middle is the traditional square, that works as an enter key, to allow you to purchase books, or also to go back with its directional arrows, to a particular chapter or part of a novel. I like the menu button, and how it allows you to easily turn off your wifi(thus saving battery life), and to easily shop in the store or go to the experimental area. Here is where the Internet is, and there are already popular pages loaded into its browser. While it is an improvement over the previous one, its not to be used for serious surfing, and of course its in black and white.

The keyboard button is neat. In order to access this, you just press the button, and can make it go away in the same manner. Here there are letters and numbers, which you can use on in the kindle store, or on the Internet. This saves the space from the previous e-reader, and I think highly of it. Using the directional arrows, its hard to make a mistake. Plus in the Kindle store its a lot like the "google search" feature, in that if you start typing something, it will automatically list suggestions. This saves time, and keeps your fingers rested. Of course, with its easy to use arrows, that doesn't become much of a problem. The regular letters are small, so those who have eyesight issues, will want to change the font size during this feature of the Kindle.

You can get free classic books from the Kindle store.(Prior to 1923) This device allows one button access to there, and you can search by category. There are numerous subjects, and of course you can type in the author or title, and it will automatically pull it up. Pricing is reasonable for the most part. While you can occasionally find a book cheaper at a store, that is rare, and there are hundreds of thousands of selections. You can also download magazines or newspapers, and also find popular blogs with it. The download process does not take long. I would estimate it at around thirty seconds for a very large book.

Reading

What a joy this is. This Kindle is actually an improvement over the previous generation, and I did not think that was possible. You can easily read the print, and turning the pages is easy also. While it does not have a "touch screen," it does have the turn ones on the left and right side of this unit. That makes it still like reading a real book, and its just another reason why I love it. Picture quality is remarkable. While it is in black and white, you can now see them even better than before. This was important recently as I read a biography, and wanted to see the images. Page turns are quick. As soon as you hit the button, the next page is opened. Also, the device saves your most recent spot read, which is helpful.

The screen on this one is less prone to smudges. Yes that is inevitable, and even without the touch option. The previous model had to be cleaned at least once a week. This one just seems to repel smudges, and the screen is much more clear. The print just sticks right out, thus allowing for even easier reading. That is why this is a pure book reader's device, although this one does not have the "text to speech option." That is important for the visually impaired, and the previous Kindle's feature wasn't that great, so this is one area of consideration. However, I am more than pleased by how this one has made my eyes less tired from reading, and there's no glare in inside or even outside in sunny weather conditions.

How's the battery life? Easily this will last two weeks without a charge. If you turn the wifi off, which is accomplished by a couple of quick clicks, it will last even longer. Included with the device is a USB charger, that you can connect to a computer. I still use my old Kindle's AC charger, and you can be at 100% charge in under 8 hours, when running on empty. If you charge it on a more regular basis, expect only a couple of hours. Its quick, and I like how there's a light down below to show that the charge is in process. This is where the on/off button is also.

Final Thoughts

You can store at least a 1,000 books on here. That will save you some serious space in your house, and even if you reach the limit, you can delete old ones that you do not care for anymore. This is accomplished on the menu screen, and with the directional arrow. At $79 this is a real bargain. The screen saver is now advertisements, and these are also featured on the bottom of the menu screen. I am not bothered by them, although I kind of do miss the famous authors and artwork featured on the previous model. Yet that is alright, as this is the best, most easy to use e-reader ever. It allows for pure reading ecstasy, and has made me more of a book worm. Without any hesitation, I give this product five stars, as it is a tremendous value, and it is without a doubt my favorite toy.

Amazon Kindle 2 3 Ebook Reader Wall Charger Adapter 3g

Amazon Kindle 2 3 Ebook Reader Wall Charger Adapter 3g

Great Price ! for Amazon Kindle series fit Kindle Fire, Touch, Keyboard, DX, and Kindle,Kindle 2 quality brand new travel wall charger 100V~240V input...

Amazon Kindle 3g Wifi 6 Ebook Reader Home Wall Charger

Amazon Kindle 3g Wifi 6 Ebook Reader Home Wall Charger

Great Price ! for Kindle for Amazon Kindle DX 2nd generation   model specification Kindle 2 Dx 100V~240V input Kindle 3 3G 5V, 1000mA output about 6...

Lenmar eBook Reader Battery; 3.7V, Fits Amazon Kindle 3G

Lenmar eBook Reader Battery; 3.7V, Fits Amazon Kindle 3G

3.7V/1,850mAh replacement lithium-polymer battery. Mercury free
Quill.com

Protective Skin Decal Cover for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite eBook Reader Sticker Skins Diamond Plate

Mightyskins are removable vinyl skins for protecting and customizing your portable devices. They feature ultra high resolution designs, the perfect wa...
Amazon Kindle 2 Dx Ebook Reader Ac Wall Charger Adapter

Amazon Kindle 2 Dx Ebook Reader Ac Wall Charger Adapter

for Amazon Kindle DX 2nd generation high quality brand new generic wall charger model specification Kindle 2 Dx 100V~240V input 5V, 1000mA output abou...

Amazon Kindle 2 3g Dx Wifi Ebook Reader Travel Charger

Amazon Kindle 2 3g Dx Wifi Ebook Reader Travel Charger

for Amazon Kindle DX 2nd generation high quality brand new wall charger model specification Kindle 2 Dx 100V~240V input Kindle 3 3G 5V, 1000mA output ...

Battery for Amazon Kindle 1 eBook Reader Book 1st Generation Gen A00100 BA1001 IBYKB BPA-256 ERDA100

PU Leather Flip Case for Amazon Kindle 3 eBook Reader - Navor (Black)

PU Leather Flip Case for Amazon Kindle 3 eBook Reader - Navor (Black)

This new Kindle 3 Case does double duty to protect and hold your back pocket belongings in one secure location.
Amazon Kindle 3 Ebook Leather Case Cover Jacket Black

Amazon Kindle 3 Ebook Leather Case Cover Jacket Black

SKU #: nk3-syn-01-black Brand New For Amazon Kindle 3 Synthetic Leather Case Cover Black Color Image Color Material Price Link Black Synthetic Leather...