Amazon Kindle Fire, Full Color 7 Multi-touch Display, Wi-fi eBook Reader

Kindle Fire an Android by Amazon -- Review

Jun 3, 2012 (Updated Jul 13, 2012)

Pros:Ample storage. Great Resolution, Sound is good, Fast browsing.

Cons:Screen scratches easily. Can be hard to hold without a good case.

The Bottom Line: I love the device. It is easy to operate, simple to carry with you, and it holds as much as I feel one could ever want

Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi

I am going to make this a simple and to the point as possible without dragging it out for 1200 words. It is a great device and I do highly recommend using it but I don't see any use in stretching the review out to discuss everything one could think of.

Above all else, get yourself a good case for this reader so that you are not inclined to complain about how difficult it is to hold. If you are not comfortable holding it, you will not use it.

I purchased my Kindle Fire at Best Buy after the Barnes and Noble Nook tablet bit the dust on me. I haven't written a review on that but I will eventually. It isn't a bad reader but I do like the Kindle Fire better.

Setting It Up

The first thing you have to do is plug it in and set up a wi-fi connection before you can really do anything else with it since it doesn't have any fun stuff on it yet.

I took my Kindle home and plugged it in and set up my wi-fi info. Once it was loaded and I let the 15 minutes pass buy as it updated it's own software, I got my Amazon information stored in it. You'll get a reboot immediately after it updates it's software then you can start messing with it.

Using the Kindle Fire

I had an iPad before my dog destroyed it. I still cry about that from time to time but I'll replace it sooner or later I suppose. Using the Kindle Fire's touch keyboard is a easy as pie and comparable with the iPad. I think you will find it as close to it when trying to compare to anything else.

It is probably the easiest to use reader in my opinion, with desirable features one would want to have in a reader.

The resolution is very nice and as brilliant as any other handheld could hope for. It can compare to the iPad and even my laptop really. I'm impressed and not disappointed in the least.

On my Kindle Fire I have Facebook, my local weather app, a couple of Facebook games and many books and magazines.

Downloading books is extremely fast and easy. I have downloaded up to 25 (small amount compared to other users) and it was like a minute or two for the download to complete.  Nice! Single books take seconds to download.

I like that my Kindle Fire fits in my purse. My iPad fit in some of my purses but not all of them.

Apps run nicely and load quickly. Videos download well enough though I don't have much experience in that area. I've never been into putting videos on any of my devices other than computers and my ipods

The sound is really, really good for the size. Matter of fact, it beats my HP laptop all to heck. I can hardly hear the laptop and have to use a mini speaker on it. The sound on the Kindle Fire is appropriate for it's size and beyond.

I know that there were several problems at first with the Kindle Fire but software upgrades over time have seem to fix most if not near all of the issues.

I know that I had slight problems turning pages before they fixed it but it is not an issue now. The page turning speed has been significantly made better and I personally was having trouble with signing onto the device. That was fixed as well.

Personal Thoughts

Why spend the bucks on an iPad or really even a small tablet if you really just want to read, go online and play some games and look at photos? The Kindle Fire can do all this for much less money.

The Amazon Silk cloud-accelerated browser is very nice, smooth loading, and quick. A pleasure and I love it.

I say it's perfect for those who do not desire to get too computer savvy and want to keep it simple. At least as simple as possible and still have some really great features.

I got a deal at $179 on Ebay. But yeah, it's been a few months.

Just so you know... here I am going on and on but I can't help it. Available for your enjoyment are:

20 million movies, TV shows, apps, games, songs, books, newspapers,
audiobooks, magazines, and docs. Woohoo!!! That's a lot of stuff to pack into one's brain.

What's in the Box?

Kindle Fire device, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide

Warranty

1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the terms.

Content supported formats include
nclude
Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8

Tech Details

Display7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

Size (in inches) 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content). That's enough for 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or enterprise networks with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers

Battery Life

Well... they claim 8 hours continuous reading or 7.5 hours video playback. I really have to disagree. I have only managed about 6.5 hours reading time and I don't know about video time. I'm still satisfied though.

Storage

I have 8GB and that is plenty. It can hold 80 apps plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books. Um... I could never put that much on it.

Last Bits

The device only weighs 8.6 ounces. Very light and the dimensions are
7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45". Nice size.

I hope you get one and love it. I do!

Acase Amazon Kindle Fire Screen Protector Film - Premium Anti-Fingerprint, Anti-Glare (Matte Finishing) (3 Pack)

Compatibility: Kindle Fire Full Color 7 Multi-touch Display.Material: 3-layer PET film from Japan. Invisible film - once applied, it protectors your s...
Amazon Kindle Fire 7 8gb / Wifi / Latest Model - Sealed Pack &

Amazon Kindle Fire 7 8gb / Wifi / Latest Model - Sealed Pack &

You are ordering a Brand new -Amazon Kindle Fire 7 8GB / Wifi / Latest Model - Sealed Pack New!( 2nd Generation ) with Special Offers.Please feel free...

Brand Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 7 16gb, Wi-fi, 7in - Black 2014 Model Sealed

Brand Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 7 16gb, Wi-fi, 7in - Black 2014 Model Sealed

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 16GB, Wi-Fi, 7in - Black (LATEST 2014 Model)with Special Offers (Ads)Brand NEW in Retail Packaging and Never Registered NEW SEAL...

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7, 7in., Wi-Fi Tablet, 16GB, B00IKPW0UA

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7, 7in., Wi-Fi Tablet, 16GB, B00IKPW0UA

Browse your favorite books, web pages and more Fire OS 4.0 is easy to use and performs with quality. Enjoy an incredibly crisp and vivid, 7in. flat pa...
Office Depot

Brand Amazon Kindle Fire 8gb Wi-fi 7 Color Tablet 2nd Generation (2012)

Brand Amazon Kindle Fire 8gb Wi-fi 7 Color Tablet 2nd Generation (2012)

BRAND NEW IN ORIGINAL BOX, BOX BEEN OPENED. Amazon Kindle Fire 8GB Wi-Fi 7 Color Tablet 2nd Generation (2012) Large 7 multi-touch display for crystal ...

Sealed Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 16gb, Wi-fi, 7in - Black (previous Generation)

Sealed Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 16gb, Wi-fi, 7in - Black (previous Generation)

Kindle Fire HD 7 16GB HD Brand New Sealed in the box Posted with eBay Mobile

Amazon Kindle Fire Zip Sleeve, Lime (does not fit Kindle Fire HD)

Amazon Kindle Fire Zip Sleeve, Lime (does not fit Kindle Fire HD)

Simple, stylish, lightweight sleeve protects Kindle Fire from scuffs and scratches Convenient zipper closure keeps your device secure when you?re on t...
Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 7 Inch 2014 Model 16gb - Black - Front & Rear Camera

Amazon Kindle Fire Hd 7 Inch 2014 Model 16gb - Black - Front & Rear Camera

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 inch 2014 Model 16GB - Black - Front Rear Camera (T)Crisp, vivid HD Display (1280x800) with over a million pixels - perfect fo...

Amazon Kindle Fire 7 Leather Case Black - B00DR0B31U

Amazon Kindle Fire 7 Leather Case Black - B00DR0B31U

Designed To Perfectly Fit Your Kindle Fire HDX/ Origami Stand Folds Into Landscape Or Portrait Orientation For Hands-Free Viewing/ Redirects The Sound...
Abt Electronics