ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) 7" (ASUS1B16)

ASUS Google Nexus 7, Comparable to Samsung Galaxy 7

Feb 21, 2013 (Updated Jul 24, 2013)

Pros:Nice construction, fit and finish
Reasonable value and bang for the buck

Cons:Power cord  to short
7-24-2013 Update, Charge Cable has gone bad a number of times

The Bottom Line:

After having the tablet for a number of months I have lowered my ratings, the power cable has failed 2 times and ASUS customers is poor.

Please read an update added to the end of the review!!!

A year ago I purchased an Ipad 2nd generation. It has worked well until recently.  The battery no longer recharges correctly and the unit is out of warranty.  I didn't feel like spending the money and then having Apple give me a "Refurb" for my unit.  I even kicked around purchasing a new iPad mini, until I did my homework and I am so glad I did.

So, after doing much research online and at the retailers I selected the new ASUS Google Nexus 7.  Some of the brands I considered were Samsung, Lenovo, Apple, Kindle, Toshiba, Sony and Acer.

I ended up purchasing the unit for a local office supply store.  Right out of the box you could see the quality both in fit and finish.  What amazes me most about this unit is what it comes with standard.  Here is some of what I am talking about.

First I found it runs all day on a charge WITH wifi or blue tooth on! It had plenty of reserve battery power.

I was very pleased with the display, in comparison to an iPad mini the Nexus was faster and has a sharper display.  The Nexus uses a 1280x800 IPS panel where the iPad mini is 1024 x 768!

I have used this unit all day without eye fatuge, the screen features gorilla glass and a black matrix backround with zero light bleed through.

After loading up a bunch of apps I have found the 16gb unit is more than enough storage for the average person.

This unit runs Android Jelly Bean 4.2 Operating system and aflter using it for weeks I have had no crashes or abnormal operation.

One of the cool features is that if you use this an M-Edge case the Nexus will automatically go to sleep by just closing the cover.  The M-Edge Cover has one drawback,  is in order for the auto sleep function to work correctly the Nexus must be installed with the top of the unit slid under the retainer leaving the bottom of the tablet un-supported.   A little rough handling the the tablet will fall out from the bottom of the case.  The easy fix:   I applied some 2 sided tape to the back of the Nexus.  This keeps it securely and safely in the cover but does not affect the cases ability to fold back to be used as a stand.

Another important plus is the processor, the Nexus has Tegra 3 Quad Processor running @ 1.2 ghz vs the iPad dual core, this explains the faster and more snappy response.  This processor is also what sets it appart from other android tablets.

One problem I had with my iPad 2 was using it with "N" band 802.11 network. No so with the nexus, it supports all formats of 802.11 Wifi networking including "N" that drove the iPad nuts.  All forms of wireless security is also supported.

Another feature that will be very useful for me in the future is NFC. All you need to do is touch the case to another android device (such as your android smartphone) and data is transferred instantly to that device.  Since I currently have an iphone I couldn't test it.  This could be a great timesaver if you have data that needs to be synced.

As far as other toys it has a built in Accelerometer, GPS, Magnetometer and Gyroscope so this unit will also work as a navigator in your car.

I had just got back from a business trip and enjoyed watching Netflix in my room over the hotel wifi, never missed a frame.

I wanted to make a comparisonwith the iPad/mini.  Just about everyone is familiar with them. Over the years Apple products and technologies have set the standards for personal devices.  I am happy to say the Asus Nexus 7 far exceeds those standards in every way!

Now that my eyes have been opened I might just get a new android phone when my iphone contract expires, then I can't wait to use the NFC data sync feature to keep my emails straightened out just by touching the 2 devices together!

UPDATE: I felt the need to update this review and downgrade the rating.  This tablet suffers from a poor design power cable.  It uses a microusb charge cable that is extreemly fragile.  I have had to replace it 2 times. Both times at my expense because ASUS requires you to send in the charger and the cable to get a replacement. So your tablet is out of service during this interval.

Bottom line, a product can have all the latest bells and whistles and work well but if you begin to have maintenance issues with it and the manufactures fails to properly support the owner its time to consider something else. (IE Samsung Galaxy 7)

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32gb - 4g Unlocked (asus-1b32-4g) Brown Color

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32gb - 4g Unlocked (asus-1b32-4g) Brown Color

About Us FAQ Contact Us ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB - 4G Unlocked (ASUS-1B32-4G) Brown Color IMPORTANT : Limit 5 per customer! Orders that exceed ...

Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet Black (1 Gen)

Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet Black (1 Gen)

BRAND NEW ASUS Google Nexus 7-Inch 32GB WiFi Tablet Black (1 Gen)The Google Nexus 7 by ASUS is a full-fledged Android™ tablet that delivers the best...
ASUS Google Nexus 7, 7-Inch, 32GB, Tablet, 2012

ASUS Google Nexus 7, 7-Inch, 32GB, Tablet, 2012

View largerThe Google Nexus 7 by ASUS is a full-fledged Android tablet that delivers the best Google experience. It is the latest Nexus experience dev...
Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Wi-fi 7 Tablet

Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Wi-fi 7 Tablet

Ebay Items Asus Google Nexus 7 32GB Wi-Fi 7 Tablet (2012) The Google Nexus 7 by ASUS is a full-fledged Android™ tablet that delivers the best Google...

Asus Google Nexus 7 16gb Wi-fi 7in Android Tablet - Black (1st Gen) 1b16 -

Asus Google Nexus 7 16gb Wi-fi 7in Android Tablet - Black (1st Gen) 1b16 -

Asus Nexus 7 2012 This item is brand new and sealed in the retail package.No returns accepted.

Brand Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Wi-fi 7in Brown Tablet

Brand Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Wi-fi 7in Brown Tablet

NEW Asus Google Nexus 7 32GB WiFi Brown (Wifi Only - Brown Color)This Auction includes:*Asus Google Nexus 7 32GB Brown**USB Cable**Wall Charger**Retai...

Asus® Google™ Nexus 7 32gb Tablet

Asus® Google™ Nexus 7 32gb Tablet

PRODUCT DETAILS The playground is open!Built to bring you the best of Google in a slim, portable package that fits perfectly in your hand 7” display...

Asus Google Nexus 7 4g 2012 Quad Core Tablet 32gb/7+official Case Bundle

Asus Google Nexus 7 4g 2012 Quad Core Tablet 32gb/7+official Case Bundle

New-in-box ASUS Google Nexus 7 4G, 2012 Model 7 32GB Android 4.1 Tablet, NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L Quad-Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 4G LTE Compatible SKU:ASUS1B32...

Google ASUS Nexus 7â 4G Unlocked Tablet (NEXUS7ASUS-1B32-4G)

Google ASUS Nexus 7â 4G Unlocked Tablet (NEXUS7ASUS-1B32-4G)

Quick SpecsGoogle Nexus 7 4G Tablet PC NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L Quad-Core 1.2GHz 1GB 32GB 7 (1280x800) TOUCHSCREEN BT 4G Webcam Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) BR...