ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) 7" (ASUS1B16)

ASUS Google Nexus 7, Comparable to Samsung Galaxy 7

Feb 21, 2013 (Updated Jul 24, 2013)

Pros:Nice construction, fit and finish
Reasonable value and bang for the buck

Cons:Power cord  to short
7-24-2013 Update, Charge Cable has gone bad a number of times

The Bottom Line:

After having the tablet for a number of months I have lowered my ratings, the power cable has failed 2 times and ASUS customers is poor.

Please read an update added to the end of the review!!!

A year ago I purchased an Ipad 2nd generation. It has worked well until recently.  The battery no longer recharges correctly and the unit is out of warranty.  I didn't feel like spending the money and then having Apple give me a "Refurb" for my unit.  I even kicked around purchasing a new iPad mini, until I did my homework and I am so glad I did.

So, after doing much research online and at the retailers I selected the new ASUS Google Nexus 7.  Some of the brands I considered were Samsung, Lenovo, Apple, Kindle, Toshiba, Sony and Acer.

I ended up purchasing the unit for a local office supply store.  Right out of the box you could see the quality both in fit and finish.  What amazes me most about this unit is what it comes with standard.  Here is some of what I am talking about.

First I found it runs all day on a charge WITH wifi or blue tooth on! It had plenty of reserve battery power.

I was very pleased with the display, in comparison to an iPad mini the Nexus was faster and has a sharper display.  The Nexus uses a 1280x800 IPS panel where the iPad mini is 1024 x 768!

I have used this unit all day without eye fatuge, the screen features gorilla glass and a black matrix backround with zero light bleed through.

After loading up a bunch of apps I have found the 16gb unit is more than enough storage for the average person.

This unit runs Android Jelly Bean 4.2 Operating system and aflter using it for weeks I have had no crashes or abnormal operation.

One of the cool features is that if you use this an M-Edge case the Nexus will automatically go to sleep by just closing the cover.  The M-Edge Cover has one drawback,  is in order for the auto sleep function to work correctly the Nexus must be installed with the top of the unit slid under the retainer leaving the bottom of the tablet un-supported.   A little rough handling the the tablet will fall out from the bottom of the case.  The easy fix:   I applied some 2 sided tape to the back of the Nexus.  This keeps it securely and safely in the cover but does not affect the cases ability to fold back to be used as a stand.

Another important plus is the processor, the Nexus has Tegra 3 Quad Processor running @ 1.2 ghz vs the iPad dual core, this explains the faster and more snappy response.  This processor is also what sets it appart from other android tablets.

One problem I had with my iPad 2 was using it with "N" band 802.11 network. No so with the nexus, it supports all formats of 802.11 Wifi networking including "N" that drove the iPad nuts.  All forms of wireless security is also supported.

Another feature that will be very useful for me in the future is NFC. All you need to do is touch the case to another android device (such as your android smartphone) and data is transferred instantly to that device.  Since I currently have an iphone I couldn't test it.  This could be a great timesaver if you have data that needs to be synced.

As far as other toys it has a built in Accelerometer, GPS, Magnetometer and Gyroscope so this unit will also work as a navigator in your car.

I had just got back from a business trip and enjoyed watching Netflix in my room over the hotel wifi, never missed a frame.

I wanted to make a comparisonwith the iPad/mini.  Just about everyone is familiar with them. Over the years Apple products and technologies have set the standards for personal devices.  I am happy to say the Asus Nexus 7 far exceeds those standards in every way!

Now that my eyes have been opened I might just get a new android phone when my iphone contract expires, then I can't wait to use the NFC data sync feature to keep my emails straightened out just by touching the 2 devices together!

UPDATE: I felt the need to update this review and downgrade the rating.  This tablet suffers from a poor design power cable.  It uses a microusb charge cable that is extreemly fragile.  I have had to replace it 2 times. Both times at my expense because ASUS requires you to send in the charger and the cable to get a replacement. So your tablet is out of service during this interval.

Bottom line, a product can have all the latest bells and whistles and work well but if you begin to have maintenance issues with it and the manufactures fails to properly support the owner its time to consider something else. (IE Samsung Galaxy 7)

Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet Black (1 Gen)

Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet Black (1 Gen)

BRAND NEW ASUS Google Nexus 7-Inch 32GB WiFi Tablet Black (1 Gen)The Google Nexus 7 by ASUS is a full-fledged Androidâ„¢ tablet that delivers the best...

Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Asus Tablet 7 Wi-fi Asus-1b32-4g Unlocked Nexus7c

Asus Google Nexus 7 32gb Asus Tablet 7 Wi-fi Asus-1b32-4g Unlocked Nexus7c

Asus -Nexus 7 32GB Tablet 7 Super IPS+ Wireless LAN 4G NVIDIA With Tegra 3 1.20GHz Processor ASUS-1B32-4G – Unlocked NEXUS7C ASUS Retails for $310! ...

ASUS Google Nexus 7 32GB 7 Tablet PC

GPU/VPU NVIDIA ULP GeForce Part# NEXUS7 ASUS-1B32 Color Brown CPU Speed 1.20GHz LCD Features Back-lit IPS display Scratch-resistant Corning glass 216 ...

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet (7-inch, 32gb) 2012 Model

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet (7-inch, 32gb) 2012 Model

ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet (7-Inch, 32GB) 2012 Model Item Is New !!!!! Direct Source Liquidations offers Fast Shipping from our state of the art distr...

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) - Quad-core Tegra 3 Processor, Android 4.1

Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) - Quad-core Tegra 3 Processor, Android 4.1

Nexus 7 - The playground is open Simple. Beautiful. Beyond Smart.The Nexus brand represents a premium Android-based device that delivers the best Goog...
Brand Sealed Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet (black) Fast Shipped

Brand Sealed Asus Google Nexus 7-inch 32gb Wifi Tablet (black) Fast Shipped

ASUS Google Nexus 7 - 32GB - Wi-Fi Tablet (Black) BRAND NEW - Factory Sealed FAST SHIPPING / DELIVERY (ships by NEXT BUSINNESS DAY, or sooner )Any que...

ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB - 4G Unlocked (ASUS-1B32-4G) Brown

ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB - 4G Unlocked (ASUS-1B32-4G) Brown

GPU/VPU NVIDIA ULP GeForce Part# NEXUS7 ASUS-1B32-4G Color Dark Brown CPU Speed 1.20GHz LCD Features Super IPS+ Corning Fit Resolution 1280 x 800 Vide...
Newegg.com

ASUS NEXUS7 ASUS-1B32-4G Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB with Wi-Fi & 4G (Mobile Data - Unlocked) - Black

Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) - 32 GB - 7 IPS ( 1280 x 800 ) - front camera - Wi-Fi & 4G Bluetooth NFC.
MacMall