2000 Scamp Trailers Scamp 13

• User Rating: Disappointing

• Reliability:
  • Quality :
  • Handling And Control:

Pros:Pulls great, looks great. Well laid-out stove/sink/reefer area.

Cons:The trailer is not ready for camping as currently sold by Scamp.

The Bottom Line: Wouldn't recommend this trailer until Scamp fixes some glaring problems.

Well, I wouldn't recommend this trailer to anyone until Scamp overcomes some serious shortcomings. Unfortunately, because Scamp has no dealers, I was unable to personally do a walk-through before buying it, and Scamp requires a commitment to purchase before they start building one for you.

Negatives:
1) no 12v light over the sink/stove. Camping away from 120v outlet (I never camp at a place with hookups) leaves the sink/stove in deep gloom; difficult to see what you're doing.
2) Sharp edges which are left on the table mounting brackets cut my wife's knee while sleeping on the bed. I used a grinder to round the edges.
3) No closures on the (optional) side cabinets, causing gear to be tossed out of the cabinets while being towed.
4) Table leg broke immediately, requiring replacement. Scamp's owner said that the leg assembly hadn't been "tweaked" before being installed. The new one has the same problem.
5) The main 12v light was installed in such a way that its light was blocked by a cabinet just a couple inches away. This light is totally inadequate to light the trailer at night.
6) The screen door, unlike all other screen doors I've seen on travel trailers, is a folding type which narrows the already narrow door opening by over 5 1/2 inches.
7) The screen door has vinyl strips, held in place by double-sided tape, to block the narrow gaps between the screen door and its frame. One of the bottom strips fell off within 3 days; a strip at the top of the door is already mangled to the point that the door is hard to close. There is no good fix for this problem.
8) The lower seat/bed cushions are too wide to permit easy lowering of the table to make the bed.
9) The furnace thermostat is located in such a way that lifting of the lower cushion knocks the thermostat cover off. The thermostat is locate only a few inches away from the furnace.
10) All but the door window curtains are not secured; often I'll find one or more of the curtains on the bed after towing. The curtain on the entry door's window is unable to be opened more than a few inches due to the excessive amount of material mounted on the curtain rods.
11) The sink drain pipe is poorly situated, preventing the sink from draining fully.
12) The cable-tv outlet and the trailer's own antenna outlets are located in different places; one of the outlets is next to the furnace thermostat (see above) and the seat cushion bends any cable attached to it.
13) The cabinet over the sink has internal friction-fit pieces that fall down on their own.
14) I ordered twin propane tanks (an option) and the handle on one of the tanks will skin your knuckles when you're working the trailer's front jack.
15) The bed/table is poorly designed, making sitting down at the table awkward and leaving no place to sit (when the table is up) to put on your shoes.
16) The side cabinets are hinged at the top, making putting anything into them that requires both hands awkward, because the side cabinet doors have to be held open with the back of your hands. Far better to be hinged at the bottom.
17) Using the toilet (I got a toilet/shower model) is difficult as there's no place to put your right foot. The shower well, which is directly in front of the toilet, is too low to put your feet in, requiring that a foot stool be placed in the shower well in order to use the toilet.
18) All the plumbing for the toilet/shower hangs down, exposed below the trailer. Any camping in freezing conditions will be a major problem.

Scamp has been making travel trailers since the 1970's. I would think they would have resolved these problems by now. I get the feeling that they've been doing the same thing in the same way for a long time and don't continually improve their product based on the needs of their customers.

The trailer was $13,500 new. I emailed the owner with the above list of defects, and asked if I could get even a part of my money back if I returned the trailer. This question didn't even get a reply.

Amount Paid (US$): 13,500
Condition: New
Model and Options: Shower/bath

Casita Scamp Trillium Vintage Travel Trailer Rv Art

Casita Scamp Trillium Vintage Travel Trailer Rv Art

PERFECT WALL ART FOR THE TINIEST TRAILER! Art Print: Signed by the Artist An original art print after my casein painting entitled THE ROAD LESS TRAVEL...

Brake Cable Rampage Scamp 1983-1984

Brake Cable Rampage Scamp 1983-1984

brake cable Rampage Scamp 1983-1984 great deal on this brand new brake cable! buy for the future, as your cable is 15+ years old!! this is the cable f...

1983 Plymouth Scamp Cornering Lamp Socket - Dorman

1983 Plymouth Scamp Cornering Lamp Socket - Dorman

New Plymouth Scamp Cornering Lamp Socket. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. 85862

1971-1972 Scamp Upper Rear Crossmember Shock Mount 860-1067

1971-1972 Scamp Upper Rear Crossmember Shock Mount 860-1067

eBay template 1971-1972 Plymouth Scamp Upper Rear Crossmember Shock Mount 1971-1972 Scamp Upper Rear Crossmember Shock Mount Part Category: Body Part ...

Dodge Duster, Scamp Custom Fit Dash Mat Cover Dashcover

Dodge Duster, Scamp Custom Fit Dash Mat Cover Dashcover

DODGE DUSTER, SCAMP CUSTOM FIT DASH COVER

1983 Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

New Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. 711-322

1976 Plymouth Scamp Headliner Conversion - 2 Dr Conversion Kit W/bows

1976 Plymouth Scamp Headliner Conversion - 2 Dr Conversion Kit W/bows

Photo 1976 Plymouth Scamp Headliner Conversion Make: Plymouth Model: Scamp Years: 1976 - 1976 Style: Foamback Cloth View Colors: Foamback Cloth Produc...

1971-1976 Scamp 400 Hp Aluminator Module W/auto Trans

1971-1976 Scamp 400 Hp Aluminator Module W/auto Trans

eBay template 1971-1976 Plymouth Scamp 400 HP Aluminator Module With Automatic Transmission 1971-1976 Scamp 400 HP Aluminator Module W/Auto Trans Part...

1983 Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

New Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. 711-355K