2000 Scamp Trailers Scamp 16

• User Rating: Disappointing

• Reliability:
  • Quality :
  • Handling And Control:

Pros:Fiber glass shell

Cons:Cheap appliances Thoughtless design Poor, sloppy workmanship Misleading sales information

The Bottom Line: Do NOT buy a Scamp!

I note that all of the other reviewers of Scamp trailers don't actually own them. They either bought a Casita or they were just looking at Scamp. We purchased a 16' Scamp in 2005. It has all of the accessory extras that Scamp offers. We have traveled in it all over the country. And we would NOT buy another one!

The comments about the structural integrity of the basic fiberglass design are fundamentally valid. The shell is durable, light, and wears well. We also agree that it is both cute and ugly. BUT - the actual construction of the interior is sloppy, cheap, and poorly designed. Here are some examples:

1). We struggled for over a year with a refrigerator that would not cool lower than 50 degrees F. Scamp helped us not at all. Finally, after 5 or 6 different service centers scratching their heads and Dometic replacing the entire refrigerator for us, a service center found the problem: Scamp when they installed it had cut the vent hole at half the size that specs call for. When they cut the hole out properly, it worked fine.

2). More on the refrigerator: It is set in place before the shell is sealed. It is IMPOSSIBLE to replace it without ripping out the entire door frame. Bad design.

3). MORE on the refrigerator: Scamp chose the cheapest design available with only a single, plastic latch on the door. It comes open with a hard bump, and everything winds up on the floor. Better models include two latches.

4). More bad design: The water tank is set in a large under-seat space haphazardly, without thought to removal and servicing. When (after just a few months) the plastic drain valve started leaking and had to be replaced, it was practically impossible to get a screwdriver wedged in to remove the tank. There was plenty of room - moving it just 2 inches forward would have avoided the problem. Thoughtless.

5). More bad design: The plastic drain filter under the shower is exposed beneath the trailer and picks up rocks easily and breaks. Scamp will sell you a new filter unit, but not a new plastic cover for the unit. Result: Whole unit must be purchased and replaced.

6). More cheap components: The stove is a cheap design that has a metal grill over the burners that cannot be removed. Result: There is NO WAY to clean the surface of the burner under the grill and it quickly becomes encrusted with burned-on debris. A slightly higher-end design would have avoided this.

7). More cheap components: The bed mattress and seat cushions are the cheapest kind of foam construction that ruins your back and makes for uncomfortable seating.

8). More bad design: The wheels are only 13", meaning small tires, lots of rotations per mile, and frequent wheel bearing servicing if you're going to avoid burning up your bearings.

9). More sloppy work: The BLACK water tank has leaked since the first week we had the trailer. Multiple service centers have told us the only fix is to rip out the entire toilet system to track down the fitting that is leaking. Scamp refuses to help.

10). Dishonest salesmanship: We pull our Scamp with a Lincoln Town Car. When we purchased, we were told that there would be "no problem at all" pulling with that large car. In fact, we have problems with fishtailing. After purchase, we were told (by Scamp) that they have had a lot of problems with Town Cars pulling Scamps because of the extremely "soft" air suspensions used by the cars, which can't stabilize the trailer (which is slightly rear-end weighted). It would have been nice if they had told us that to begin with. Now, they say the only solution is to add to the tongue weight by carrying about 15 gallons of water jugs in the shower in front.

11). Bad design: There are no rain gutters over the door or windows, so when it rains, or even drizzles, you can't open a window or the door without water coming in from all directions.

When we looked at buying a trailer, we wanted a small unit but a high-quality unit. We chose the highest-end, fully-loaded version Scamp offered. Unfortunately, what we got was not a high-quality unit but one that is cheaply and thoughtlessly constructed with little attention to quality workmanship. We would NOT buy another product from Scamp.

In retrospect, we would have bought a Casita: 15" wheels, what appears to us to be higher-end appliance choices, window and door rain gutters, what appears to be more thoughtful design characteristics. But since we don't actually OWN a Casita, that's just speculation on our part.

Amount Paid (US$): 16,000
Condition: New
Model Year: 2005

Vintage Trillium Casita Scamp Trailer Jeep Bike Rv Art

Vintage Trillium Casita Scamp Trailer Jeep Bike Rv Art

PERFECT WALL ART FOR THE TINIEST TRAILER! Original Art Print: Signed by the Artist Original art print after my casein painting titled MADE FOR EACH OT...

1983 Plymouth Scamp Front Right Brake Caliper - A1 Cardone

1983 Plymouth Scamp Front Right Brake Caliper - A1 Cardone

New Plymouth Scamp Front Right Brake Caliper. Brand: A1 Cardone. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products...

Dodge Duster, Scamp Custom Fit Dash Mat Cover Dashcover

Dodge Duster, Scamp Custom Fit Dash Mat Cover Dashcover

DODGE DUSTER, SCAMP CUSTOM FIT DASH COVER

1983 Plymouth Scamp Front Left Brake Caliper - USA Industries

1983 Plymouth Scamp Front Left Brake Caliper - USA Industries

New Plymouth Scamp Front Left Brake Caliper. Brand: USA Industries. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket produ...

1983 Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

New Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. 711-322

Plymouth 1971-76 Scamp Carpet Set Lowest Int'l Shipping Guaranteed

Plymouth 1971-76 Scamp Carpet Set Lowest Int'l Shipping Guaranteed

New molded carpet set with application to all 1971-76 Plymouth SCAMP models equipped with either automatic or 4-speed transmission. Console strips als...

1983 Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set - Dorman

New Plymouth Scamp Wheel Lock Set. Brand: Dorman. Fits Years: 1983, 83. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. 711-355K