Read Reviews (3) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1984 Cutlass Calais

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 500

I'm a stylin' dude in my '84 Cutlass Supreme...

by Paulblow:      Mar 16, 2001 - Updated Apr 25, 2006

Pros: Good looking ride, dependable, reliable, decent gas mileage, it is "stylin"...
Cons: Too many plastic parts... Not a whole lot of guts.
The Bottom Line: Stylin', baby, it is stylin'! In a land of SUVs and stupid looking tin cans, I ride like a king in my pleasure craft...

UPDATED: 4-25-2006

I am a man of class and of style, yes I am, and I demand a car that also has class and style. You will never see me driving an economical foreign-made tin can or an SUV, no. I've always preferred American cars, especially those made in the '70's and early '80's, and my experience with cars has led me to believe that the best American cars are Chevys and Oldsmobiles (GM cars).

I've had my 1984 Cutlass Supreme for 5 years now, and it has proven to be a reliable and dependable car. I actually wanted a Chevy Monte Carlo, but I couldn't find one in my price range ($800-$1500), so I bought the next best thing - a Cutlass Supreme. I bought this car used for $1200, and I have been happy with my purchase - this car is a good lookin' ride with decent gas mileage (20 mpg) and the only work I've had to do on it in five years, besides the usual car maintanence - tune ups, oil changes, and brake replacements- was replacing the catalytic converter and the water pump. I've never had any trouble with the motor or tranny (knock on wood), and this car has never left me stranded. It now has 140,000 miles on it, and it still runs great.

The '84 Cutlass Supreme also has lots of room. I'm a tall guy - 6'4" - and I need plenty of leg room. The Cutlass is roomy inside, and also features a very large trunk. That's another thing I look for in a car - I must be able to fit all my guitar amps and gear in it, as I have to lug my gear around town playing gigs. Try doing that in one of today's small cars, hah!

Of course, what I like best about this car is the looks... I love the body style. Let's face it - it was in the '80's when cars started getting ugly, and a cool looking ride was hard to find. This is a two-door, 3.8 liter engine lovin' machine that has the ladies turning their heads when I cruise by with my zebra-skin seatcovers and furry steering wheel. I love it.

The downside of the '84 Cutlass Supreme is what's typical of "newer" cars - it's more of a hassle working under the hood than the older cars. The air conditioning unit really gets in the way when trying to get to the spark plugs, and there is generally not a whole lot of room under the hood when trying to work on it.

This model of the Cutlass also doesn't have much in the "guts" department (ever heard of the Gutlass Cutlass?), but then again, I'm not too concerned with speed... I'm more concerned with dependability, gas mileage, and looks.

If you are looking for a used car that is dependable, affordable, roomy, and sexy, look no further than the Cutlass Supreme. There are still a lot of these cars on the roads, and for good reason.

UPDATE: well, after ten years of loyal service and 173,000 miles, my Cutlass has given up the ghost. It was one thing after another -- the oil pump needed work, the heater core quit working, a motor mount broke, and finally the timing chain started slipping and the timing went all out of whack -- all that in the space of a couple months! The car was basically undrivable and the repair bill was just more than the car was worth so I sold it for $200. Can't even find a decent Cutlass on the road anymore unless you want to pay $5000 for someones project car! So now I'm the proud owner of a 1995 Ford Thunderbird, but that's a whole different review!
Condition: Used