Read Reviews (5) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1986 F-150

View all reviews by iceguy2003

1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 5.0 EFI

by iceguy2003:      Jun 2, 2010

Pros: Very reliable and tough.  Never had a single problem from it.
Cons: 16mpg at best might be a con, but it's a truck!
The Bottom Line: If you can get a truck with these options, regardless of engine, you won't go wrong.

Well, it's a 1986 F150 XLT Lariat with the 5.0 EFI.  It's a short wheelbase model.  It has the Ford 9" rear (3.50:1), NP435 transmission, and NP208 transfer case.    It's the first full year (2nd year of introduction) to have fuel injection (the 300 and 351w didn't go FI until 1988) in the F-series trucks.

The 5.0 EFI is an easy revving, extremely reliable engine.  I can't tell you how much wood I've hauled with this truck.  I can't tell you how many times I've went 4 wheeling.  I can't count the number of dunuts I've done.  I can't guess how many times I've hit 5000RPM in low, 2nd, and 3rd gear.  Only have reached 4100-4200RPM in 4th gear.

I can tell you it has done 115mph a few times.  I can tell you it is EXCELLENT off road AND on the road.  I can outhandle any of the newer trucks.  I don't know if it's my particular set up or what.  I have overload springs in the rear and 31x10.50 15" tires all around.  It, of course, has the TTB Dana 44 front axle.  It rides like a Cadillac with a load in the bed.  I prefer riding with a bed full of oak or mulch, it's such a smooth ride with 1400+ pounds in the back.

The 9" rear has taken all the abuse I can throw at it.  From towing vehicles either for friends, to the crusher, pulling someone out of a ditch, mud hole, etc., and burning out, to hauling loads that I think are over the load capacity in the bed and not even feeling it back there.  This rear end is legendary for a reason.  It loves abuse.

The NP435 transmission is a heavy duty iron case 4-speed with a very low 1st gear (6.68:1).  Some call it low, some call it granny, I grew up hearing the word "bulldog".  Either way, when you are in 1st gear, you could pull a mountain if traction was there.  And when you put the transfer case in low, and then stick it in first gear... you can literally idle and, well in my case, pull a 78 Malibu that had backed into a huge ditch and is sitting at 35-45 degrees, completely stuck without ever touching the gas.  It's also great for going down very steep hills (I live in east Tennessee) out here so you don't have to use the brake.  Usually 2nd gear low/1st gear high is plenty, though.

I see all kinds of cars and trucks every day.  There's a quite a few I'd love to have.  But I will never trade my truck for any of them.  The roar of the 5.0 coming through my custom exhaust, the bullet proof transmission and rear end, the wide selection of gearing for off road conditions and excellent 4x4 traction, and most of all, the 100% reliability I have experienced from it will never allow me to get rid of this truck.
Amount Paid (US$): 2000