Read Reviews (9) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1986 Pickup

Ease of Loading:

View all reviews by foxtrapper

'86 Toyota 1-Ton, "two thumbs up!"

by foxtrapper:      Jun 5, 2003

Pros: Rock solid reliable & tough as nails!
Cons: Bed rust.
The Bottom Line: If you need a reliable, economical small truck, this is the one to get.

Fantastic truck!

I've had two now. Both with 22RE (fuel injected 4 cylinder) engines, and 5 speed transmissions.

These trucks can work like an OX! I've hooked up to multi-ton loads and pulled them for hundreds of miles at a shot. No, it wasn't fast traveling, but it did it without any problems or objections.

For years these trucks have been worked like trucks. Picking up loads of animal feed, equipment, what ever I needed. They have performed flawlessly.

They also have worked as my daily commuter to work vehicle, which is a 70+ mile round trip. That's a lot of miles over the years. They have done so comfortably. Certainly not as plush as a nice sedan, but perfectly fine.

Gas mileage has been a consistent 22-27 mpg.

I've been in some accidents in these trucks, and they are solid here as well. Rear ended at high speed twice, planted into a jersey wall once. Walked away from each accident with no injuries.

Bed rust has always been the bane of the Toyota truck, and mine were no exception. Now, after nearly 20 years of service, the beds are rather tattered, and the tailgates barely work. The cabs are holding up fine, as are the frames.

Parts availability is good. No problem getting spark plugs, air filters and the like.
Amount Paid (US$): $3200